SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:42 AM
United States, VT, Warren
Joined Apr 2011
218 Posts
Discussion
Converting my first float plane, need some advice...

Hello fellow flyers,

After about 50 flights with my 55" starmax j3 cub, I would like to start utilizing the 2.5 acre pond on my property. After a little research a few questions remain. The plane has a 55" wingspan and a length of 37.4 inches. I read you want 75 percent of the length of the plane for your floats. Seaplanesupply sells 26" and 28" floats. What would be the better choice, as 27" seems to be the ideal size. I will need foam floats and don't want to craft my own. Also, is a float rudder mandatory? Will the rudder of the plane itself be enough for light manuverability on water? I do have plenty of space. Any mounting tips, and or any other general advice regarding floats would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
aviator4934 is offline Find More Posts by aviator4934
Last edited by aviator4934; Jun 26, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Feb 2012
29 Posts
The only thing I can comment on is the rudder. Flew my Super Cub off of the water a bunch a few weeks ago and I would say yes to the rudder if you can. At times it was hard to control especially if glassy water and a long takeoff run. Had a blast, much easier for me to land on the water than land, plus it's very cool watching it come in, looks just like the real thing... Good luck, ben
SamsDad is offline Find More Posts by SamsDad
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:08 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
27" or 28", an inch won't matter either way. Water rudders aren't necessary if you know how to work the throttle... shorts blasts to get the plane turned in the right direction then keep it moving, keep air moving over the rudder.

You might need to add a ventral fin under the tail for better yaw stability with the added cross-section of the floats.

Check out the Waterplane Forum and the top sticky for plans and specs to set up a plane with floats.

Also, be sure to dunk your ESC in CorrosionX to make it waterproof or it'll fry if it gets wet.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71