Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:02 AM
Glider pilot IRL
The Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
151 Posts
Help!
Need some advice on upgrading my EDF

Hi,

I recently ordered a FMS (Hobby King) Flying Shark which I plan on upgrading to 4S and a bigger motor for some more thrust. See link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22063

Of course this is not a racing monster, neither is it intended to, but I'd like to have some extra power and speed... I was thinking of upgrading it to 4S and keeping the 64mm size fan. Which motor would be sufficient for giving this fish better/unlimited(?) vertical performance? I was thinking about this motor which would give 1100 grams of thrust (see specifications, vs the 700-750 grams flying weight of the Shark):
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or%5F64mm.html.
Would this work? Would it be an idea to upgrade the 5 blade EDF to a 6 or 7 blade unit? What motor/EDF unit would be better? (I try to stick with HobbyKing)

I hope to hear your thoughts and experiences. I'm rather new to this.

Thanks!
Peter.
Gliding-Peter is offline Find More Posts by Gliding-Peter
Last edited by Gliding-Peter; Jun 26, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:50 AM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,176 Posts
Hi Pete,

I'm also new to EDF, though I have almost 40 years in R/C, the last 10 electrics.
I was looking at the same motor for a 64mm fan unit. Go to the bottom of the page for this motor at HK, below the reviews, and click on "click here to see all reviews". You will see a number of bad reviews that say the motor is not suitable for 4S lipo !!

You'll need to know and be sure of the diameter of the mount for the motor in the fan unit. Most will take a 24mm motor but some like this one will take a 28mm motor. I also considered this motor at HK because it should be capable of lots of watts on 3S but would definitely need a heat sink and 4S is possibly a no-go.

So, I bought this motor on eBay, because its rated for 4S and is 34% less expensive than the HK (I havent received it yet).

The shark looks like a lot of fun !!

Old_dude
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
Glider pilot IRL
The Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
151 Posts
Thanks for your help! Please let me know if that eBay motor works well.
Do you think it would be good to change to a 7 blade EDF unit or stick with the stock 5 blade unit?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,312 Posts
on 4s, target a motor around 3600-3800kv for more performance.

cheers.
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:46 PM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,176 Posts
Hi Peter,

I see you are a commercial pilot

The question about the number of blades does not have a specific answer based on a lack of factual and comparable data. The problem is there are no standards, and much variation, for the design of the fan and its blades. Some fans have narrow and thin blades while others have much broader blades with well defined airfoils. The blade airfoils also vary from one maker to another. Certainly the nose piece of the fan has an impact on its performance.

So many variables make knowledgeable comparisons and conclusions difficult. I am sorry, I know that is not the answer you would prefer.

Old_dude
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:24 AM
Glider pilot IRL
The Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
151 Posts
Alright thanks!
Maybe I'll just stick with 3S and try out this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_55_64mm.html with the stock 5 blade EDF. We'll see what happens.
Still looking forward to your experiences with that ebay motor though!

Thanks!
Peter