HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:48 AM
Fast boats
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Alert
Advice on my first nitro

Hay fellas my name is Andy I'm from aus... I have brushless boats and a 2stroke but no nitro yet. My mate bought a supervee 27 after a few hours on running In and tweaking the carby I got it running awesome it is flying and really handles well... Anyway I like driving his boat more then any of mine so it's time I buy a nitro... I want a v hull and love the sv27 so anyone know if any other great boats out there I'd rather pour fuel in and not pump it but either way any help or advice would be great... Thanks guys... Andy
Vn_304 is offline Find More Posts by Vn_304
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:42 AM
Australia, VIC, Seaford
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
+1 on that.... Got a couple of electric boats and over batteries cooking and the short amount of run time at quick speeds... So looking for a recommended nitro...
disco364 is offline Find More Posts by disco364
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:34 PM
cat herder
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2005
247 Posts
Do either of you have any nitro airplane experience or any fast boat people in your area? If you don't you might want to seriously consider gasoline boats for your first high performance stuff. It can be done of course-you might be really resourceful and persistent-but there is a learning curve. Lots of people in the hobby these days want plug and play, and nitro boats don't always fill that niche. I'm not suggesting you are of course, just don't want anyone to get into something with little chance of success.

That's my .02.
jimmycashley is offline Find More Posts by jimmycashley
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:58 PM
cat herder
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2005
247 Posts
oops I double posted.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
Fast boats
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Already have gasoline boats and no how to tune nitros from cars etc
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
Australia, VIC, Seaford
Joined May 2012
7 Posts
Nah nothing with nitro... But got a quick electric boat does 100k + just want something quick and with electric get about 10 minutes then over 1 hour and half charge time... So looking to get into nitro... What quick/high performance gasoline boats would you recommend or mentioning?
disco364 is offline Find More Posts by disco364
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:13 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,933 Posts
RTR nitro boats are slowly fading from the scene. None of them are perfect by a long shot but usually some no-to-low cost work can do wonders for them.
Avoid the "eBay specials" as generally they're junk. Look up an outfit called Oz-Spec Hobbies to see what they've got.
This place, http://www.hobbysupplies.com.au/ sells the serious nitro stuff.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:49 AM
cat herder
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2005
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vn_304 View Post
Already have gasoline boats and no how to tune nitros from cars etc
You should be all set then.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:19 PM
Fast boats
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Yeah but just unsure of a good hull etc I like the sv 27 but what else is out there that is good
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:52 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,933 Posts
About the only other brand worth looking at is from ProBoat with nitro power RTR. I'd avoid their scale hydro's though.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:05 AM
Fast boats
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Cheers Ron... Yeah I'm looking for a v hull what hull you think of there's is good
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:02 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,933 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I just checked the AquaCraft and ProBoat sites. AquaCraft is now only offering the Miss Vegas Deuce as their only RTR nitro boat and I can't find a single nitro boat on ProBoat's site as everyone is going brushless.
Your possibly only or best shot at scoring a new or used RTR nitro boat from either of these two companies is eBay.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:22 AM
Fast boats
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Oh really... How come nitro boats are getting fazed out there great fun boats... I've got brushless and to much charge time for little use then esc play up and they get hot etc... What else is out there
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:13 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,933 Posts
You guess is as good as mine but I do have a few of them.
Most were built with the sport boater in mind or first-time boater. These people were clueless what to do with them once they bought one. My prime example has always been the ProBoat Miss Bud. OK, walking through the hobby shop you spot a boat that just about anyone can identify with. They figure that they'll buy one and try out boating. Most of them don't know how to tune a boat motor or launch the thing. Figuring that it's a piece of junk, off to eBay it goes. OK, it is a piece of junk but the one keyword above is tuning. They don't know that you have to run them a little rich, not screaming lean. They have to find a good needle setting, something that they don't have to with their Plug & Play electric.
Noise issues. Ran an electric boat just about anywhere and people won't gripe. Run a nitro or gas boat and people complain about the noise, most likely the same ones who own leaf blowers and noisy old lawnmowers.
Good nitro for boats isn't that easy to find. Hobby shops will carry fuel for planes and 4-wheelers but not for boats unless you want to buy a case of it.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
Fast boats
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Yeah I agrees people don't no the fine line in tuning and foget the water changes it compared to the open air but people who no how to use them want them still... Anyway I'l find 1 around soon enough I'm sure just hard in oz not alot around.... What fuel do you use because I've noticed fuel really changes the whole set up alot... Cheers andy