Ha ha, Ive done that too!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:18 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,869 Posts
Well I picked up the first wing molds today. These require some sanding and will be used as practice molds.

Also found a good core medium material, Endurathane. Only gives 2-3min working time, so all needs to be sorted before mixing
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:58 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,356 Posts
That's really excellent news about the wing moulds! I'm working on options to get the Scratcho done but it hasn't been easy to find a "cost effective" way. Hopefully I'm onto something now.

Alex if the Endurathane is the same as the GP330 which it probably is, you'll find that the working time is actually a lot less - maybe 45 seconds from mixing, at best. Do a few test mixes and play with it on some plastic. When it gets to the point that it "deflates" when your finger touches it, you can't handle it any more. So you know that's how long you have to get it in. It will be much shorter in hot weather.

It's absolutely paramount that you smear it over all of the inside skin surfaces, both sides, to get perfect filling. Although it can expand 33 times, I've been using a ratio of about a 12 or 14th of the volume, so it gets some back pressure and this greatly improves the foam consistency. In the fins I've got down to 1/10th, clamping the moulds up very hard, and the foam turns out about as hard as balsa, which is great.

Although maybe this advice is no use if you're not planning to expand in the mould?!
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:34 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,869 Posts
Well I put some into the fin of the first fuse. It busted open the seams even though I had taped it in a few places. Then after it cured fully, it deflated a bit, collapsing the fin. Hmmm...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,356 Posts
I thought you knew ... PU is dangerous for the force it can exert with expansion. I'd only use it in a strong mould, or if you pour it inside an unrestrained cavity, it needs a lot of space at the top to rise.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:32 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,869 Posts
Well I only filled the tail, letting the rest expand out the wing cut-out. I know now.

Next one will be in the mold
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:51 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,869 Posts
Man, picked up the Fuse again yesterday, and the foam has shrunk even more! the tail is almost collapsed completely flat! I have no idea why it is doing it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:43 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Man, picked up the Fuse again yesterday, and the foam has shrunk even more! the tail is almost collapsed completely flat! I have no idea why it is doing it.
Bummer..sorry to here that.

A few things can cause this in PU foams..
1. Not mixing enough.. Mixing with drill fast is best. ( a lot of companies recommend this.
2. Temp..
Both the mix , and the material you joining it to must be with in a few deg of each other , to get bonding to happen. Otherwise they will Repell over time( days , weeks)
Also as it ages , over a few days or weeks , and gets cold the PU matrix can shrink as the small bubbles that make it up collaps.
Water...humidity . They need it to cure fully all the way though.
Often in a closed environment , some parts of the volume will not be as cured as the out side. Leaving the centre soft , or softish.. Leads to shrinking .
Doing open mold expansion , and then joining , takes all the random anomalies out of the equation. With the same result every time
Also adding water to the mix...( a few drops ) helps make sure the mix it alway cured all the way through..

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:50 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,869 Posts
Cheers, Tim. I may try the next in two halves, vac bag, cure then trim, pour PU into the open cavity, cure, trim flush and join
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:30 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,177 Posts
Hey Alex, I just use a spar made of a drinking straw wrapped in glass or carbon for my tails. you can put one close to the front and one near the back if you want extra strength. This is really easy and works every time. Might be a good way for you to get some fuses out while you master the foam.
Cheers mate, see you soon
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:09 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,140 Posts
+1 ...
All my wh's just carbon tail with carbon sock foam spar's.. Running down along into the fuse , stops the weak point at the tail junction.
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:17 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,869 Posts
Cool guys! Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2013, 06:46 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,869 Posts
I started waxing the molds for the RT42 again. I think during the FEST we might build one up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2013, 04:25 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,218 Posts
That's cool Alex, just goes to show how the FEST has grown as last year it was a foamy build
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Oct 07, 2013, 06:06 PM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Palmerston North NZ
Joined Dec 2006
1,179 Posts
Cool whos going to by that one.
pope is offline Find More Posts by pope