HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:23 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,301 Posts
Discussion
RT (Reaction Tester) Builds

I am trying varying wing spans for trying different strengths, layups, sizes, performances, speeds, ability to fly in small spots, transportability, etc in hope of finding a nice small model size for taking anywhere and hopefully a good mix of the above characteristics.

I started with the RT28, which saw a lot of action Pre US trip and during the US trip. Jarred had a lot of fun with it which was great! Just wasn't very efficient, but could DS some pretty tight spots and handle impacts no worries at all, just not survive a JW poleaxing it at 100+mph (poor Ian had just taken the sticks and was about to drop in).

Then the RT30 came along soon after the 28 as a possible 30" record attempt airframe. Built it in a few weeks so wasn't very good. Took two weeks in the US to get it flying well and weighted right, but flew well and managed to take the record. I now have some molds being made of it so watch out for that one. I know Bruce was very taken by it.

So now i have a broken RT28 and an RT30. Fuse off the RT28 is still good and was a bit big for a 28" wing, so I thought a 42" wing would fit well on it.

Here is the progress so far on it. My plan is to make a glass layup with several layers of cloth to build up some weight and strength. I am really just experimenting for myself to try different things. I will finally wax my mylars for the first time too, and try a nice paint job, including also finally pre-heating my spray cans. I also have finished a new "Hot-Box" this morning so am keen to try that.

I am keen to try a high aspect ratio plank, and was planning on my fancy idea of a 6 servo wing on it, but I think i will stay with 2 servo as it is designed as a light-medium wind model for fun and reflex honing.
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:43 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
787 Posts
you are going to need a bigger lamp to heat that box.
But looking quite good.

I take it your vacuum pump will be Under the desk?

I chose to put my hot box under my work bench. I heat it with a oil filled heater. It is tested up to 45 and currently has some carbon elevons cooking inside.

Re mirror glaze, tried that, got the T shirt. and had mixed results. At the moment I am using a spray wax, with a 100% release rate, but not the best finish. I would like to try some other options but am not too sure what to use. when you get to really quality stuff that has good release and good finish you may need a compressor and spraygun.
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:09 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,301 Posts
Cheers man. I will do lots of trials to see how things go. Where did you get the Spray Wax, and what is it called?

The lamp is my above bench lamp, not intended for heating the box. I have been trying to find a small oil filled heater, but cannot find one locally.

Vac Pump is under desk on left hand side
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:06 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Looking good alex! I love to see a workshop come together and a new model too.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:00 PM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Where did you get the Spray Wax, and what is it called?
the stuff I am using is http://www.alchemie.com/category/pro...ealing-agents/ its the R5.

QUOTE=ALEX HEWSON;21998464]
The lamp is my above bench lamp, not intended for heating the box. I have been trying to find a small oil filled heater, but cannot find one locally.
[/QUOTE]

I know, I was being facetious.
the heater is why I went below. Oil filed all seem long and thin.
Maybe you should go for a fan heater. but I am not sure how well that will work.

As a quick interim solution, use an electric blanket. i got on in the autumn when they went on sale. it probably gets it to about 40c or so (That is by sticking my hand in a guessing)
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:48 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
FWIW, that is the wax I use. It is also the wax used at the factory where my models are produced. I have tried several other mold releases, not all of them by a long shot but I have been using the mirror glaze 8 for a while now and love it.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:18 PM
closed due to popular demand
Joined Jul 2011
324 Posts
ibuild is offline Find More Posts by ibuild
Last edited by ibuild; Oct 19, 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:39 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,301 Posts
Root chord is 150mm and tip is 60mm.

If the RT30 molds come out ok, I will be making a 2m 6 servo wing plank
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:54 PM
closed due to popular demand
Joined Jul 2011
324 Posts
ibuild is offline Find More Posts by ibuild
Last edited by ibuild; Oct 19, 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:48 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,301 Posts
Hoping for about 150mph. But this one isn't for going fast, more for fun factor
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:53 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,301 Posts
SO I lined the back of the box today, and went shopping for a heating source and found a oil fin heater that is the perfect size!

I also Painted the mylars after I waxed and polished them yesterday. Warmed the paint cans beforehand, and it seemed to go on a lot nicer

I also cut out the glass. My plan was to see how strong and heavy a glass lay-up could be, but I may do a Disser arrangement with some carbon tow between some of the layers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:58 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
787 Posts
looking good.
Nice little heater.
Lads hear calm 80c with oil filler heaters.

Also really interesting to hear what joe says about the mirror glaze. Maybe I just need to try harder.

Are you looking at getting a little fan to circulate the air? I don't have one but others do. Just a thermometer.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,321 Posts
Nice Alex- Im moving house soon and a hot box is on the to do list for my new house. My mould is about 2.5m long so itll need to be pretty big!
PS, why six servos on a 2m wing? Are you concerned about long elevons fluttering?
Cheers mate
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,301 Posts
Nope. It is my solution to landing and mixing for max speed
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:44 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,321 Posts
Would give you plenty of options thats for sure!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18