Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,677 Posts
New Product
Autoquad team proudly presents: Autoquad ESC32

ESC32 End of Beta

The AQ team is delighted to end the beta for the ESC32.

The ESC32 has proven in the beta to be highly stable and working well for a number of motors. We have recently introduced some changes to the main code that makes it less susceptible to disarms due to noise in the PWM lines.
Also, CAN-bus is now available for ESC32, and with that we get a 3 times faster update rate, and full feedback to the FC.

The HW is unchanged, except for the fact that new batches will come with the CAN transceiver mounted from factory.

Otherwise specifications are still the same, and there are no immediate plans to release a new version.
We are however working on a concept for a Version 2 of ESC32 that will support up to 10S, but no decisions have been made about production yet and we need to put it through internal team testing before releasing it to the public.

Viacopter is proud to present the Autoquad ESC32. In short it’s a 32-bit gatedriven, all N-fet Brushless ESC with extremely fast throttle response designed for use in Multirotor helicopters. Autoquad ESC32 is designed and developed by Bill Nesbitt. It’s a closed source hardware with open source code written in C.

Bill Nesbitt´s blog post about ESC32 on DIY Drones

Features:
- STM32F103 72MHz 32bit ARM
- All N-FET design with gate drivers
- 2S through 5S battery voltage
- Option to power logic side via UART or PWM IN +5v
- CAN transceiver hardware support onboard
- Firmware written completely in C
- Cortex SWD connector pads for real-time debugging
- Communications ports: PWM IN / UART / I2C / CAN Bus
- Communications protocols: PWM IN / CLI / binary / 1-wire / I2C** / CAN**
- 4KHz to 64KHz PWM out
- Current sensing / limiting with real shunt resistor
- Virtual current limiter
- Regenerative braking (experimental)
- Closed loop control modes
- Lot of available RAM / FLASH for experimentation and development

** I2C and CAN drivers not yet released!

Important note from ESC32 creator Bill Nesbit about current levels attainable:

Quote:
"I am sure the first question will be how much current can they handle. The truth is that I don't really know. According to their data sheet, the FETs are capable of 160A continuous. As a practical matter, there is no way you could come close to dissipating the amount of heat that would be generated at those levels. With large heat sinks you could probably run them over 50A continuous, but without any heat sinks the limit will be significantly less. In the end, the limiting factor is simply cooling. If you can get them into some prop wash or rig some sort of small heat sink your results will get better. I've been flying them for for more than 6 months with no heat sink at all, but my machines typically weigh less than 3Kg.”
Autoquad ESC32 comes ready-to-run as a normal PWM ESC. Throttle range is defaulted to 1000-1950 Microseconds, with motor start at 1100 Microseconds and will work with most commonly used Flight Controllers with PWM output. Output update rate is 450hz but rates up to 1Khz is possible!

All parameters can be set by user over a USB-serial interface using the AutoQuad QGroundcontrol widget or CLI.

We will continue to evolve the source code, but we hope that people will join the effort and help us develop it further. Because of that, the source code is released under a GNU/GPL license. That means you are free to use and modify it, but you are required to publicize changes you make. If its good we will include it in the public branch! Go to forum.autoquad.org for more info.

Preliminary manual is attached here for reference. We will not run support for it here, but we invite you to come to forum.autoquad.org for more info and support. There is not a huge entity behind this and all development was done by dedicated volunteers, and that is part of why we can release this stunning piece of hardware so relatively cheap!

A lot of people has contributed to making this possible – first and foremost Bill Nesbitt who designed it and made it available – but also the Autoquad team has been vital in making this happen. Thanks, guys!

Special thanks go to TimeCop for helping out with initial hardware design and prototype production and to SimonK and Quax for helping with the FW and testing!

Autoquad ESC32 is manufactured to the highest industry standards in Germany, using the best components and production methods available. They are fully ROHS-compliant and our manufactorer complies with German law for environment protection and worker safety. Each board is tested in factory before release.

You should understand that ESC32 is a “work in progress” and that new features will be evolved but there is no guarantee against bugs or “operator error” so this is why we are designating it a Public Beta. We are confident that “first movers” will know and understand that!

However, having flown many hours with it and tested extensively, we do feel confident that it is working as it should and that bugs we know about has been resolved, so we are proud of being able to release it into the world of multirotors at this time!

On behalf of the Autoquad team – we hope you will enjoy this excellent ESC and help us make it better!

ESC32 is up for ordering now. You can get them from Viacopter and Flyduino

Cheers

Jussi – ViaCopter
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JussiH; Jan 01, 2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added some URL´s, corrected typos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:34 PM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,677 Posts
You might have heard about "ESC32 Compatible" alternative hardware these days.

We´re sorry to tell you that our small team can´t bare support for 3rd party hardware!

Original (only available at trustful vendors)

"Compatible" (example, can be purchased at various places)

In general there´s nothing wrong with offering alternative hardware that uses our Open Source Code.
It´s also ok to use our ressources, constantly grown over the years like the Wiki, Downloads & Documentation, Tutorial Videos and all that sexy stuff freely available at our sites & servers.

But our project is driven by volunteers, with hardware covered & supported by 2 online shops taking the full finacial risks for prototyping, small beta batch productions, parts sourcing and production runs.
So this is rather no business model than a way to save their azzes before they go broke.

So please have mercy - don´t bother us with problems, we didn´t cause!
In return for our constant efforts you could contribute by calibrating certain prop/motor combos so we can fill our database. But don´t expect us to look at your calibration data if you don´t provide a proper proof of functionality.

In case you need help, please go to the socalled "RTF32" thread that deals with the alternative hardware:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2021210
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JussiH; Mar 13, 2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,677 Posts
Reserved - further documentation
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:53 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
It is about time. Although I heard timecop opted out due to some indifferences. Anyways I'm certainly in for a preorder.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:02 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jul 2006
615 Posts
I am glad all the effort came to fruition.
andrebandre is offline Find More Posts by andrebandre
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:49 PM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
925 Posts
Nice! been waiting for this for a while, will wait for users review
ddmt is offline Find More Posts by ddmt
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:13 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
710 Posts
I thought ESC32 is under open source license. i have been following bill's work on diydrones and i do not think profit is allowed under such conditions.
chris24g is offline Find More Posts by chris24g
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:49 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
didn't see an amp rating, so i looked up the FETs. the individual FETs are rated at 161A continuous @10v @ 25C
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:51 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbow2 View Post
didn't see an amp rating, so i looked up the FETs. the individual FETs are rated at 161A continuous @10v @ 25C
Really? Did you not read his post at all?
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:54 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
Really? Did you not read his post at all?
prolly glossed right over it and asked the very first question that the OP stated would be the first question..lol
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:54 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
i searched "amp" using cntrl+f on both this page and the link...
but now i see. sorry i feel dumb.

they do look nice...something from the community
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:59 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbow2 View Post
i searched "amp" using cntrl+f on both this page and the link...
but now i see. sorry i feel dumb.

they do look nice...something from the community
lol

they do look great.
If someone comes up with a nice power distro board like the Mikro boards for their esc's, these new ones would be ideal for some custom builds!
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:01 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24g View Post
I thought ESC32 is under open source license. i have been following bill's work on diydrones and i do not think profit is allowed under such conditions.
Yep. The firmware is Open Source - the hardware is not.

It's all about the license that the AutoQuad Development Team and Bill agreed on.
Bill made sure no greedy source grabbers will be able to throw clones onto the market too soon.

Rest assured that the AutoQuad Team and the vendors will try to keep the prices as low as possible.

btw: we set up a forum for discussions here: http://forum.autoquad.org
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:16 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Yep. The firmware is Open Source - the hardware is not.

It's all about the license that the AutoQuad Development Team and Bill agreed on.
Bill made sure no greedy source grabbers will be able to throw clones onto the market too soon.

Rest assured that the AutoQuad Team and the vendors will try to keep the prices as low as possible.

btw: we set up a forum for discussions here: http://forum.autoquad.org
I guess maybe I have been spoiled by HK prices and simonk fw. the beta pricing reminds me of another ESC.

So although you may be a bit biased toward esc32 since you're on the dev team, how does it compare to simon + atmel escs.
chris24g is offline Find More Posts by chris24g
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:23 AM
FC flux'd
Joined Jan 2007
537 Posts
€40 a pop... ouch.

Don't get me wrong, amazing ESCs and right up there on my 'do want' list; just a little heavy for my pocket.
Katch is offline Find More Posts by Katch