HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined May 2009
302 Posts
Discussion
SPW w/ Omni vs. Omni w/ Omni

Hi guys,

While I wait for my cloverleaf/SPW setup to be repaired (the cloverleaf is broken), I am wondering what situation is better for now. I have a functioning skew planar wheel (thanks IBCrazy), and a couple of stock whip omnidirectional antennas.

Am I better off going with an omni on BOTH the Rx *and* the Tx, or should I leave the SPW on the Rx and just replace the cloverleaf with an omni? Or perhaps even switch them around--put the SPW on the quadcopter and the omni on the Rx?

I'm not planning on going too far--just got my OSD configured and want to tool around the field. Not sure if it makes any difference, but I'm using a 1.3 gHz 800mW vTx and a SAW-upgraded Rx.

Here is a picture of 4 omnidirectional antennas I have laying around. I'm not sure exactly where all of these came from, but they *should* all be 1.3 gHz, since that's the only frequency I've ever dealt with. If they are all the same performance-wise, then I'll go with the skinniest/lightest one. However, if the bigger guys will give me better signal, weight is not a major issue here.

Thanks for any tips-
Ryan
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
Last edited by doughpat; Jun 25, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:43 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,453 Posts
Go with two omnis. Mixing is a recipe for disaster. The multipathing between a circular omni and a linear one is even worse than two linears.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined May 2009
302 Posts
Roger that. Experimental evidence agreed with you Omni w/ SPW was terrible. Omni w/ Omni was better (still pretty lame though).
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:27 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,672 Posts
I fly with linear Vee on the plane and SPW on the Rx all the time out to a mile or two, without issue.
FPV - Chasing Jeff's warbird (7 min 6 sec)

Jump to 4:50 to see it out over a mile.
In this particular flight, the Vee itself was actually a bit mangled (had landed in a bush previously and
bent the ground plane) so this wasn't even its best.

Your results may vary.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member