SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Vantasstic, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:59 PM
FPV Dealer,Getting People High
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Sep 2011
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Yeah, connecting the DL to the 9X is ridiculous easy...and with the ER9X firmware it's ridiculously powerful too!!!!
Hey Van, Looks like I got my hands on a Dragon Link UHF system finally(so to speak its getting shipped tomorrow). Does the DL play well with the DOSD. Can i see RSSI, Thats the main thing that got me looking at DL. Again thank you for all your help getting my DOSD hooked up. So if for somereason I cant figure it out im going to pick your brain if thats ok.
Johnnymeg is online now Find More Posts by Johnnymeg
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:36 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymeg View Post
Hey Van, Looks like I got my hands on a Dragon Link UHF system finally(so to speak its getting shipped tomorrow). Does the DL play well with the DOSD. Can i see RSSI, Thats the main thing that got me looking at DL. Again thank you for all your help getting my DOSD hooked up. So if for somereason I cant figure it out im going to pick your brain if thats ok.
The DL and DOSD go together perfectly. You just need to run single connector wire from the DL RSSI pin to the DOSD RSSI pin and configure the DOSD to display RSSI...easy.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:38 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,484 Posts
I looked for, but couldn't find any 3M cable clips to mount my DL to my 9X. I did find some cord clips that worked out pretty well. They came in a pack of four. I wanted to use the DL Tx stand and these clips, with some slight modification, worked nicely.

In short, I trimmed the tabs from two clips up to the little 'catch'. I trimmed one so the catch was removed. I then clipped the two clips with the catches on the Tx handle and pushed them to the inside edges of the Tx stand. I aligned the DL and pressed it onto the clip's tape. I then took the clip with the catch removed to the upper cross member and centered it, then pressed the DL onto it. I will use the fourth clip (unmodified) to hold the excess DL-to-Tx cable. Now my DL clips on and off and is held tightly in place.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:41 PM
What goes up...
United States, NJ, Cherry Hill
Joined Feb 2012
1,023 Posts
Sweet. Glad I could contribute to your solution. It looks good. Thanks again for helping with my dl receiver
acuralegendz is offline Find More Posts by acuralegendz
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:19 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,484 Posts
Transplanting a Spektrum Dx4E Rf Deck into the 9X

I transplanted a Spektrum Dx4E rf deck into my 9X. There's two ways of doing this...as an internal addition or using the original 9X rf module case and (some) electronics. My first 9X came with a module with an integral antenna so I used the 'module case' mod. I had to play with the replacement Spektrum antenna mounting a little to get it to sit tight, but now it's like it came from the factory.

First, to use this modification you must have ER9X firmware flashed into your 9X radio. The stock 9X firmware will not talk the required DSM2 protocol. You can; however, use a Spektrum DM9 module with the stock firmware as long as you set the radio to PPM mode.

I did my first flights with the system today. I can happily say it seems to work better than it did with the Spektrum DM9 module. My stick center points are back at 1500us (they were 1600us with the DM9 module) and the reaction speed of my quadcopter is faster that before...with no changes to radio or quad controller settings. Woo Hoo!!! I wish I new about this before I bought the DM9. I paid $30 for the Dx4E radio and will be able to harvest the wiring and switches for other projects...leaving mostly just a plastic case to toss out.

The one (bad) thing is the 9X module fits the pins tightly and makes installing, and even more so, removing, the module more difficult than the DM9 module was. I use the same radio to fly 2.4G and UHF so disconnect the module to connect my UHF transmitter. This is more of a minor inconvenience though. Worse comes to worse I can always make the Spektrum rf deck internal and leave the module bay open for the UHF connection then just hook up a switch to turn on whatever deck I need to use at the time. That'll come later though, if needed. It seems just fine as is for now.

Links to this modification can be found here:
http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/9x_Full_Mod_DSM2/X
http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/H...e_DSM_protocol

The Dx4 module does not have a 'bind' button. Instead, you use the 9X trainer switch for binding...simple and works well.

One final note. To use the Dx4 module you need to set the ER9X firmware protocol to DSM2. There are then three 'types' to select. It is recommended to use type 'DSM2 Only'. The Dx4 module can transmit in DSXm format. On the down side, it can only remember one protocol at a time. If you bind it for DSM2 it can not talk DSMx unless you rebind it. Then to go back to DSM2 you have to rebind it to a DSM2 rx. I'm just going to use DSM2 Only since most of my Spektrum Rx's are DSM2 and they work fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:40 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,484 Posts
FWIW, I tested the channel outputs of the Dx4 rf module in the 9X. It appears to only put out six channels. Eight channels would of been nice, but six is pretty good. I rarely use over 6 channels in most of my planes anyway...and besides, the DL puts out 12 channels with the 9X and ER9X firmware if I ever need that many.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
HK 9x transmitter radio is currently updated with the lastest firmware. Is that ok?

Enrico
Rick338 is offline Find More Posts by Rick338
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:22 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick338 View Post
HK 9x transmitter radio is currently updated with the lastest firmware. Is that ok?

Enrico
I'm not really familiar with the stock firmware...I reflashed mine shortly after initially testing it. I see no reason why the stock firmware wouldn't work with DL. The stock stuff is not as flexible/capable as the ER9X firmware though. Just make sure your stock firmware is set for PPM mode, connect the DL and you should be ready to fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
805 Posts
mines a new 9x with er9x, the rf modual has the antenna wire routered from it into the tx.. Is there anyway of keeping it attached or is it best to just chop it ? is there any setting on the er9x to make it work for dl2 ?

thanks
motofox is online now Find More Posts by motofox
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:18 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I'm not really familiar with the stock firmware...I reflashed mine shortly after initially testing it. I see no reason why the stock firmware wouldn't work with DL. The stock stuff is not as flexible/capable as the ER9X firmware though. Just make sure your stock firmware is set for PPM mode, connect the DL and you should be ready to fly.
The stock firmware works with DL V2 very well. Just select PPM and connect DL as described.

Thanks Van, I followed your pictures to make the connection.

Cheers
Firat
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:45 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofox View Post
mines a new 9x with er9x, the rf modual has the antenna wire routered from it into the tx.. Is there anyway of keeping it attached or is it best to just chop it ? is there any setting on the er9x to make it work for dl2 ?

thanks
There's all sorts of options. I saw a post from somewhere...on the ER9X wiki I think, where a guy installed a switch and could select to power a second rf deck or the 2.4Ghz module. I believe it was here somewhere, but you'd have to search for it: http://9xforums.com/forum/
For me, I wasn't planning on using the stock Rf deck so I just chopped off the antenna lead and removed it altogether. I now use my DL, DM9, or Dx4e rf decks by just removing one module and plugging in another. Works great...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:10 PM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
911 Posts
Van,
Just ordered the Turnigy 9x v2 and the Smartie board. Hope they are half as good as you indicate.
Was interesting that the Tx was available at the USA warehouse but was $10 more. Thought it was worth ordering from the US as I am still waiting for a motor for my SW I ordered over 5 weeks ago.

Tom
Cape Cod
tom3holer is online now Find More Posts by tom3holer
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:46 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
805 Posts
Hmm trying to bind, green flashin on dl, power on rx all light for a second then just green on rx, even after rebooting tx....
motofox is online now Find More Posts by motofox
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:22 PM
PP/IR
United States, CO
Joined Jun 2012
121 Posts
Try starting over from step one in Mike's instructions. After I calibrated mine and changed the ID, rebound everything works as in the manual. Had a little fuss with mine too until I did that.

Really love my 9x with er9x. It has a very short learning curve imo and has been a great pleasure to work with. I have the FlySky version from Hobbypartz, cause unlike HK they ship within hours.

Steven over at Smartieparts sent me a new board right away after if was damaged by the post. It as well was really easy to install and anyone who knows how to turn a screw can install one. Don't forget the back light kit! Flashing er9x was also easy.

Can't be beat for the price and functionality you get, I just setup variable rates bound to a pot:

er9x Mixing - Variable Throw Rates (3 min 21 sec)
aviatorgeek is offline Find More Posts by aviatorgeek
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:51 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,484 Posts
Yep, the ER9X does more than I know how to do. By the way. I grew up outside of Denver. THAT's NOT a Denver accent I detect!!!
RCG Plus Member