HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Vantasstic, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:21 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
Does the spektrum DM9 plug right in without any wiring hassles? I have a DX7 that I will sell if the dm9 will plug into the 9x easily. I want to be able to easily go back and forth between dsm2 and uhf (dragonlink). It sounds like thats is what you are doing.... am I right?
Well, it was a little difficult connecting the DM9 module to the 9X. First I had to take it out of the box. Then I had to plug it into the back of the 9X. Then I had to turn on the 9X and bind my Spektrum/Orange receivers. I mean, jesh...you think it'd be a little easier than that.

Yeah....the above is sarcastic. The DM9 module for JR plugs right in and works with NO MODIFICATIONS REQUIRED. I couldn't of been happier. I plan on selling my MPX Evo radio (with DSM and DSM2 rf decks) soon. The only thing I can't do is fly my old AR6000/BR6000 receivers with the 9X. That's okay, I'll just sell them with the Evo.

Last note. I recommend you install the ER9X firmware. With that you can 'channel map' the output signal in the same order the Spektrum expects them...so you can make sure (at least) your throttle if failsafed as you want.

edit: Yes, I use the 9X for both my Dragon Link UHF and Spektrum receivers. Just unplug one and plug in the other and go fly.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
2,026 Posts
Great! Thanks for the info. I thought there was an issue with the pinout for the dsm2 moduals but you cleared it up for me! I already have the smartieparts board and er9x flashed. Now I need the backlight board and spektrum module. Selling my dx7 will help pay for the dragonlink too.
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:16 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
Great! Thanks for the info. I thought there was an issue with the pinout for the dsm2 moduals but you cleared it up for me! I already have the smartieparts board and er9x flashed. Now I need the backlight board and spektrum module. Selling my dx7 will help pay for the dragonlink too.
I was worried about the DM9 working too. I'd seen some posts saying the Spektrum module needed 6v on pin 2. Pin 2 on the 9X is ground. When I got my DM9 I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a try as is. It worked just fine. My only complaint is the bind button on the module is very short. At times I thought I had it pressed in for binding when in reality it wasn't pressed in far enough. I just make sure I feel the bind button 'click' to verify it's depressed far enough now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2011
498 Posts
link to the exact 4 pin connector you used please?
Lpbug is offline Find More Posts by Lpbug
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpbug View Post
link to the exact 4 pin connector you used please?
Connectors: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1903
Pins: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1930
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:48 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2011
498 Posts
thank you good sir.
Lpbug is offline Find More Posts by Lpbug
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:15 PM
What goes up...
United States, NJ, Cherry Hill
Joined Feb 2012
1,023 Posts
Hey Van, you said you have the new V2 DL? Have you mounted it on your T9x? It looks like its bigger then the one you have on your pics and I'm not able to mount it like you have.
acuralegendz is offline Find More Posts by acuralegendz
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:13 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acuralegendz View Post
Hey Van, you said you have the new V2 DL? Have you mounted it on your T9x? It looks like its bigger then the one you have on your pics and I'm not able to mount it like you have.
Yes, I have a DL V2 now. It plugs in and operates the same as the V1. The case is larger than the V1 and doesn't fit my original JR transmitter stand. The V2 comes with a Tx stand that it fits on, but makes it a little deeper and doesn't fit in my Tx box withough a)removing the DL module, b) smashing the case lid down (which I don't want to do in fear of damaging something). I'm thinking of mounting the V2 to an empty 9X module case so I can just plug it it, but that removes the antenna adjustability by having it on the stand that can be swiveled some to orient the antenna complete vertically. This to can be worked around as I have an original articulating DL Tx antenna...it's just not supposed to have the same long range of the long whip antenna (~15km vs 25km I think). I've never flown that far out yet so it probably won't ever be a player. Right now, though, I just strap it on the Tx stand whenever I fly a DL controlled plane/'copter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:20 PM
What goes up...
Joined Feb 2012
1,023 Posts
Seems to fit nice in here...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:28 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
That's not a bad idea. It would make the radio top heavy for using a neck strap though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:31 PM
What goes up...
Joined Feb 2012
1,023 Posts
I haven't been using a strap and I have been sitting as well so It shouldn't be a problem, but my first flight with my new DL will be the judge of that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:22 PM
What goes up...
Joined Feb 2012
1,023 Posts
New solution..

New solution
Electrical tape and 3M Round cord clips
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:49 PM
FPV Dealer,Getting People High
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Sep 2011
1,319 Posts
I just got my Turnigy 9x, I think im going to slowly start acquiring the parts Van disscussed then grab me a Dragon Link. I bought the 9x for the very reason of not wanting to chop up my DX8. After reading this thread I didnt think it would be this easy to add DL to 9x
Johnnymeg is online now Find More Posts by Johnnymeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:01 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acuralegendz View Post
New solution
Electrical tape and 3M Round cord clips
Say, that's a neat idea...easy snap on/off. Good solution!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:02 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymeg View Post
I just got my Turnigy 9x, I think im going to slowly start acquiring the parts Van disscussed then grab me a Dragon Link. I bought the 9x for the very reason of not wanting to chop up my DX8. After reading this thread I didnt think it would be this easy to add DL to 9x
Yeah, connecting the DL to the 9X is ridiculous easy...and with the ER9X firmware it's ridiculously powerful too!!!!
RCG Plus Member