HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Vantasstic, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:39 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
Well I just ordered the 9x with the antenna in the tx not the module. Can I still install my DL like you did? and if so would leaving the stock antenna on the tx hurt things? Thanks for your help
I'd just remove the antenna if it comes with one installed. The antenna is worthless without the module so why leave it in place. It won't hurt anything...but maybe just get in the way. One of the links in post 1 covers how to remove the antenna from the 9X. If I had one with an antenna I'd pull it and throw it in the 'box-o-stuff'.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Mar 2010
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I'm not an artist, but here's how I wired my MPX Evo radio to take multiple rf decks...powered one at a time. There's three types of switches you can use:
1)SPDT-single pole double throw (shown). With this you run the Tx power wire to the center pin on the switch, then run a line to each power pin on each rf deck. The Tx PPM and GND connects to the corresponding points on both rf decks. Only one deck is powered at a time via the switch position.
2)DPDT-double pole double throw (not shown). Connect the Tx Power and Ground wires to the center pins on the switch. Run a separate power and gnd line to each rf deck. The Tx PPM would be connected to both rf decks directly.
3)TPDT-triple pole double throw (shown). Connect the Tx Power, Ground, and PPM lines to the center pins on the switch. Run a Power, Ground, and PPM line to each rf deck from the edge pins on the swithc. With this setup all wires are switched. This is how I did mine. Why? Because this is how I did it.

I hope this helps. Make it as easy or as complicated as you'd like.
the bottom picture goes along with the switch you linked to correct? and thats a 3 position switch?

the top picture is a 2 position switch?
fpvguy is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:28 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvguy View Post
the bottom picture goes along with the switch you linked to correct? and thats a 3 position switch?

the top picture is a 2 position switch?
The one I linked is a 3 pole dual position On-Off-On switch. It is a 'locking switch' where the middle position sits in a detente with neither deck powered...this is what I used when using my DL. One position powered the DSM1 deck, the other position powered the DSM2 deck, the middle position didn't power either deck and my DL was plugged in to a separate port. You don't have to go fancy with this. A simple single pole dual throw switch is all you really need to power one deck or the other by just switching the power line.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Mar 2010
528 Posts
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102475 --- i got this double throw 2 pole switch. could you draw a wiring diagram for this? i know you explained it in the ealier post, but id like a picture too.

thank you very much for your help
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:05 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,461 Posts
Quote:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102475 --- i got this double throw 2 pole switch. could you draw a wiring diagram for this? i know you explained it in the ealier post, but id like a picture too.

thank you very much for your help
Just follow the 3PDT switch wiring with the voltage and gnd wires from the TX to the center posts on the switch and then each rf deck connected to one of the end posts. The PPM wire should be run from the Tx to each rf module. It won't matter if both rf decks receive the PPM signal as only the powered one will be active and be able to 'see' it.

Before soldering things up, verify the connections on your switch. Do this with a multi-meter. Using either a continuity test (beeper) or ohm test, put one lead on each center pin and touch the other lead to each one of the end pins. You should get a beep or 0 ohms reading one only one of the pins. This will verify which pins are the 'common' (where you want to connect the wires from the Tx) and which pins are 'active' for the selected switch position.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Mar 2010
528 Posts
i need a diagram dude. im not 100% on what your telling me. im going to do the ohm test now...
Last edited by fpvguy; Jul 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Mar 2010
528 Posts
hey, i just need a switch to power on and off my 2.4ghz system. can you draw me up a diagram to connect switch to the 2.4ghz so i can turn it on and off? i cn just plug in and unplug the dragon link when i want to...
Last edited by fpvguy; Jul 13, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:10 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,461 Posts
Quote:
hey, i just need a switch to power on and off my 2.4ghz system. can you draw me up a diagram to connect switch to the 2.4ghz so i can turn it on and off? i cn just plug in and unplug the dragon link when i want to...
I'm a little lost on what you're wanting to do. The 9X uses an rf module. Removing the module exposes the pins to plug the DL connector to. How is your 2.4G deck connected and how are you going to connect the DL if the 2.4G module is installed? Can you post pictures?

There could be several different possibilities of how to switch power to different rf decks. All will require some degree of surgery to intercept power from the boards and route it to different locations. From what I'm gathering of what you want to do, I'd just open up the 2.4G deck, find the power input trace, cut it, and add wires from the cut traces to the switch. This way the switch is on the rf deck vs in the radio. I'm not sure that's what you're looking to do though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2012
163 Posts
Hey the FS-TH9X is the FlySky version of the 9X - correct?
Bhuwan is offline Find More Posts by Bhuwan
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:45 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhuwan View Post
Hey the FS-TH9X is the FlySky version of the 9X - correct?
Yes. There are some 3 or 4 different brand names...all with the 9X name. They are the same so buy whatever one is available.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:52 AM
vpb
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
Hi Vantasstic, your mod sounds very interesting to me. Did you do a range check? How many km did you reach?

I have a very first model of Turnigy 9X transmitter, that's 99% time out of stock, i've used it for nearly 2 years without any signal problem, just like you I love that TX. Which is your DL module version?
vpb is offline Find More Posts by vpb
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:05 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,461 Posts
The furthest I've flown on my 9X and Dragon Link V1 wa 10+km...no problems... I just got a DL V2, but haven't flown long range with the new system yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:33 PM
vpb
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
Hi Vantasstic,
Is this smarty board you're using? http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331

I see some seller's description about the error with 1st batch of boards he received from the factory.

With dragon link installed, does it have any problem with multicopter? And the short-range is also good as the long-range.

Thank you!
vpb is offline Find More Posts by vpb
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:00 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpb View Post
Hi Vantasstic,
Is this smarty board you're using? http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331

I see some seller's description about the error with 1st batch of boards he received from the factory.

With dragon link installed, does it have any problem with multicopter? And the short-range is also good as the long-range.

Thank you!
That is the board I have. Actually, I have a previous generation of that board. The new one requires the Tx to be powered on to connect to your PC...the previous version didn't. I do have one of the new boards on order to go in my spare 9X I just got.

I fly everything on my 9X and ER9X firmware...Spektrum DSM2, Dragon Link UHF, park fliers, multi-copters, long range FPV. It's served me well...hence I bought a backup should anything happen to the first one.

The stock 2.4Ghz Rx is kind of big. I use the much smaller Spektrum/Orange receivers with the Spektrum DM9 (for JR) rf module. I wouldn't use 2.4G for any long range flights...you want a good UHF system for that. I'm using Dragon Link and have been to 6.5miles/10+km with no issues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:39 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
2,003 Posts
Does the spektrum DM9 plug right in without any wiring hassles? I have a DX7 that I will sell if the dm9 will plug into the 9x easily. I want to be able to easily go back and forth between dsm2 and uhf (dragonlink). It sounds like thats is what you are doing.... am I right?
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm