SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Apr 2011
101 Posts
Help!
Newbie Take Off Question

I have a Skywalker, with a full Eagle Tree Systems setup with Guardian and all works great. For a new RC pilot, the stabilization is great. I fly FPV only and am a marginal LOS pilot. I can land LOS, but it not always pretty. My question is concerning proper take procedures using Eagle Tree, with Guardian.

I am having problems with my take offs. At full throttle, elevator full up, when I throw the Skywalker at a slight upward angle, the stabilization appears to drop the nose to level flight, then climbs out. My take offs are not consistent, meaning sometimes it climbs out good, then others, it will level out first, then climb. I am currently using full stabilization through full stick movements. I am considering center stick stabilization only in an attempt to pitch the nose up for a better climb out.

I am wondering what other Eagle Tree Pilots use for take off procedures concerning Eagle Tree setups. I do like the stabilization keeping the wings level during takeoffs.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hector
texasdrifters is offline Find More Posts by texasdrifters
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:24 AM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Feb 2012
34 Posts
I have all ET stuff in my Sky Surfer and have just enabled Guardian... but have not flown with it yet. However, to date all of my take offs have been marginal. The last flight I had to have a spotter launch the plane for me, and it took a very strong arm.

The problem with my airplane is my center of gravity. I'm currently in the process of moving everything back because I was too nose heavy. You might want to check that first.

It sounds like the Guardian is doing a good job of keeping you stable. I can't wait to try it out!
bgarber is offline Find More Posts by bgarber
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Apr 2011
101 Posts
Thanks for the reply. With my experience, I can tell you Center of Gravity is critical for the Skywalker. I use the the 25 - 30 MM behind the servo wire lines as the mark. Also, I purchased the Great Planes COG machine and I no see it as a must. I have crashed and glued mine so many times, getting the body straight and COG is everything.

Once I set up the COG with this machine, I mark where the flight battery is located and place the replacement battery in the same location. The Skywalker will fly much better if you take the effort to assure the COG is calibrated.

I still working out my take off issues also.

http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmr2400.html

thanks again,
Hector
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, OH, Akron
Joined Sep 2009
97 Posts
My zephyr with eagle tree osd and guardian does the same thing if the gain isn't set to a very low level. It also happens to a buddy's bixler that has a fma copilot. His bixler is not for fpv, it's just a trainer for his son. These are the only planes I have seen fly with stabilization and this happens to both of them.

On my zephyr I use the knob on my dx8 to control the gain on the guardian. For launch I have the gain at about -80. This helps level out the wing on launch, and the gain is low enough it takes off without diving. In flight I set the gain somewhere around -50 it seems to offer a good mix of maneuverability and stability. On approach I turn the gain to about -10 and the plane seem to almost land itself. I never set the gain into positive gain as that seems to cause my plain to hunt for a level position, but that could be due to the fact my plane is a flying wing.

So if you can I would make the gain adjustable with your tx and set it to a low level during launch..
ih8nixon is offline Find More Posts by ih8nixon
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
72 Posts
I have a SW with ET Guardian system. I think you would do well to just trim the nose up about 75 to 80% 'nose up' and try and throw the aircraft as fast as you can to give it the *airspeed* it needs to offset the weight. My SW usually dips to about 2 feet on takeoff, then starts climbing as the airspeed builds. I am running 4S batteries and my take off weight is 4.86 pounds. I am adding flaps soon to try and correct this. Also landing has to be really fast because I am so heavy. Be sure your CG is correct. and be as light as you can. Use FULL power until your airspeed builds. I think this will help you out. Let us know...
pathloss is offline Find More Posts by pathloss
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Sep 2012
29 Posts
SW blade almost took my finger off yestersday.
first time launching it, just tossed it upand as it left my hand the wind pushed it back down, not even a few inchs off my hand and it landed back down with no time to move my hand and ... well it got me good , blade went right through the nail and flesh. 2 bad cuts, 3 stiches and 2 on the other.
stupid move by me but i didnt have a chance to do anything it was so fast.

so how the hell do you launch this thing??
trevlan is offline Find More Posts by trevlan
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:22 AM
Joined Apr 2011
101 Posts
Since I started this thread, I thought I would update it.

I have struggled with my takeoffs, 85% successful, until recently. I adapted the glider launch bungee launch idea to my Skywalker. I bought a 15 foot length of surgical tubing, tied it to 100 foot of string. I connect the surgical tubing end to a stake in the ground, straighten the line, pull back about 10 paces, hook the cord end to my plane's "take off" hook, throttle up, then a slight toss. The Skywalker starts flying within a couple of feet and climbs aggressively. I seem to have control of the plane within a second from the time it leaves my hand. My take off issues are resolved. A very easy system to build and use. I call it the Aggie Bungee Launch System.

Try it, you will see.

Hector
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
72 Posts
WOW, sorry to hear of your injury. When I throw my SW (or any other plane) it is way over my head, and I simply throw it forward and a bit nose up. Never had any issue. Sad to report only the third time I launched the SW with the flaps, it crashed about 10,800 feet out, as I lost video with it and the RTH / stabilizer did not seem to recover it. On an bright note, the flaps helped the takeoff issue greatly, as expected.
pathloss is offline Find More Posts by pathloss