Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:43 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,266 Posts
Question
RCG Plus

Jim Bourke:

Ok. I've finally admitted to myself that this whole RCG Plus thing annoys the pudding out of me and I'll tell you my reasons. Understand that this is MY opinion formed the moment I read the referenced post below and that my feelings have not been influenced by anyone here or elsewhere.

In reference to "RCG plus" and this comment: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...13&postcount=2 and this comment in particular:
Quote:
In the past we haven't fully realized the value of that 1%, but we do now. In fact, we're launching a new program shortly called RCG Plus which will offer more to our highly prolific and trusted 1%-ers. Thanks guys for all you do for the community here!
If in fact this new "promo" is simply an upgrade via a fee paid to support the site as in the Gold, Silver and Bronze tags in a user's window, why on earth make the statement I placed in bold in the above quote? You HAD to know how that would inflame so many of the REAL "prolific and supposedly trusted members" that have busted their butts supporting, working for and promoting this site...many of us for well over a full decade. This may seem inconsequential to you but I can guarantee you judging from the comments I have seen and heard so far that your "rollout" was NOT taken lightly by many. At this point, noone but the "trusted and prolific 1%ers" really knows what it's all about and as the Administrator of a huge online presence you of all people should know what rumor and the lack of solid information does when 99% of said membership suddenly is told that they aren't as important as a small minority. I think it's about time that we were informed as to what this is really all about before more of the membership (me included) gets even more annoyed by the lack of sensitivity and transparency so far displayed by those in charge of this site.

mw (and his )
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:16 AM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,405 Posts
Quote:
If in fact this new "promo" is simply an upgrade via a fee paid to support the site as in the Gold, Silver and Bronze tags in a user's window, why on earth make the statement I placed in bold in the above quote?
With respect, I don't understand your hostile reaction. The sentence I made is true.

We've set up all the users who were "upgraded" as well as the featured blog contributors and article authors with RCG Plus memberships. Upgraded members were converted according to their time remaining in the upgrade program, and have been offered the chance to opt out with a refund on their upgraded membership.

The other participants in the closed beta will be hand selected by Amy Wagar, who I've hired to run this program. She'll be drawing mostly on nominations from the other RCG Plus members.

I haven't decided what to do with the program when the closed beta is over. It's possible we'll charge for Plus access. Maybe not.

If you haven't been invited to participate it wasn't an attempt to slight you. We only started inviting users today.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourke View Post
With respect, I don't understand your hostile reaction. The sentence I made is true.

We've set up all the users who were "upgraded" as well as the featured blog contributors and article authors with RCG Plus memberships. Upgraded members were converted according to their time remaining in the upgrade program, and have been offered the chance to opt out with a refund on their upgraded membership.

The other participants in the closed beta will be hand selected by Amy Wagar, who I've hired to run this program. She'll be drawing mostly on nominations from the other RCG Plus members.
With respect, your explanation still does not address the "our highly prolific and trusted 1%-ers" comment. To me, it reads that people that have monetarily contributed to the site or those that write reviews are presently included. Why not just come out and say so instead of the word dance? Or am I simply having an uncharacteristic problem with the english language lately? Trust me. I'm not the only one having a problem with the inference.

mw (unslighted, un-understanding and feeling only slightly hostile)
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:26 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,405 Posts
I said things the way I did because we are giving away several hundred, perhaps a thousand, RCG Plus memberships to people in addition to those who were "upgraded" members.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,266 Posts
Makes sense......now.

When will the remainder of the membership be fully informed as to what this new program really is, what it entails and what they're missing out on?

mw
Last edited by Mark Wood; Jun 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: punctuation due to belated proofreading