SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:57 PM
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
543 Posts
First flight with the DX18 and my Xplorer today and it was awesome.
It took me 1/2 hour to add a 6th zoom mode and next ill be adding a KaPow dork mode.
Never had it so easy to do so much.
Ib Jensen is offline Find More Posts by Ib Jensen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:55 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
884 Posts
Version 5.0

Version 3.0 of the guide and SPM file for a six servo sailplane can be found at

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post22624707

Post #3037

Sherman Knight
duworm is offline Find More Posts by duworm
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
884 Posts
Last edited by duworm; Sep 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: premature
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:27 AM
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
543 Posts
I use my 18 for F3J contests and use the count down timer on the 18 to time the 10 minute duration during training. I have the timer triggered by the zoom mode switch so it starts at the right time without having to mess with a separate start button. This works great BUT the since the timer only beeps on the minute mark and the last few seconds I am constantly glancing at the display.
Ideally the TX should announce the time with a voice, but I understand the limitations of the hardware.
If the TX could have multiple beeps for the minutes and a 30 second beep down timer it would go a long way to make the 18 a better F3J TX.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:40 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
884 Posts
Six Servo Sailplane Guide Ver 3.1

Version 3.1 of the Guide for a Six Servo Sailplane is attached as a ,pdf file.

Version 3.0 of the Template is attached as a .spm file.

Please email me directly at duworm@aol.com if you think new information should be added or you find a mistake.

Have fun and I hope this helps.

Sherman Knight

Release Notes for the Six Servo Sailplane Guide. These changes came about as questions were raised by consumers about issues and alternative means to create a function.

Version 2.0 Guide

Because Flight Modes were already created in the Guide and Template and the Guide only discusses how to adjust them, there were requests for how to create Flight Modes From scratch. A Flight Mode Addendum was added for this purpose.

An addendum was added demonstrating how to add and remove points in a :curved” mix.

Version 3.0 template fixes an incorrect value. Camber preset in Thermal Mode for Right Flap was changed from 7.0 to -7.0.

Version 3.0 Guide

New addendum have been added for:
· reversing the flap stick,
· using the monitor screen for trouble shooting and
· using a motor.

The V-tail addendum has been completely rewritten to eliminate my misunderstanding of the V-Tail feature.

Grammar corrections and changes to the text were made throughout the guide to increase readability.

Version 3.1 Guide

In a V tail model, if the Aileron > Rudder mix is used, the V-Tail Differential setting is now fully supported. You need to download and install Airware Version 1.03 from the Spektrum Community Website.

An alternative method to make the flaps move the same amount throughout the Flap movement using the Balance function was added.

A section was added to demonstrate how to remove a flight mode in the event you only want to use four Flight Modes.

An addendum was added to show you how to reverse the Flap Stick.

Grammar corrections and changes to the text were made throughout the guide to increase readability.
Last edited by duworm; Oct 11, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:53 AM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
PC application for altitude spektrum.tlm file

Hi,

I just dev a small application to visualize and perform small calculate on the spektrum.tlm file .
For now i read altitude sensor, for me it's very usefull for settings my new F3J models.
some calculation can be done, max altitude, min altitude beetween 2 repairs line.
Climb rate + or -, zooming
print, exporting to clipboard

you can download it here.
(you must have an altitude sensor, a dx8 or dx18 with telemetry ON and a spektrum.tlm file)

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8U...G1VTm9VbFlqU0E

just tell me if you have any problem, i will fix it.
tell me if it's usefull for you too ;-)

good fly

Name: spektrum_alti.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 86.1 KB
Description:
jpcoste71 is offline Find More Posts by jpcoste71
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Dec 2009
3 Posts
Template and Update Questions

Because of Sherman’s guide, I have decided to get the Dx18 over the other available capable transmitters.

I have 3 questions.
1-When you update the firmware “airware” in future versions, Will this affect the current programming for the models already in the radio?

2-When using your template for a 6 servo sailplane, but are really using a lesser servo sailplane for example a 2 aileron plane and no flaps, if you still select the 2 aileron and 2 flap at the beginning of set up would you still be able to crow the ailerons as spoilers?

3-When using a lesser servo sailplane ie 2 aileron 1 flap (Radian Pro type) and using the Sherman’s 6 servo sailplane template can you still initially select the actual corresponding wing type- 2 aileron 1 flap, and still have the remaining programming functions ie crow, and ail to rud mixes/functions?
rafr is offline Find More Posts by rafr
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:27 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafr View Post
Because of Sherman’s guide, I have decided to get the Dx18 over the other available capable transmitters.

I have 3 questions.
1-When you update the firmware “airware” in future versions, Will this affect the current programming for the models already in the radio?

2-When using your template for a 6 servo sailplane, but are really using a lesser servo sailplane for example a 2 aileron plane and no flaps, if you still select the 2 aileron and 2 flap at the beginning of set up would you still be able to crow the ailerons as spoilers?

3-When using a lesser servo sailplane ie 2 aileron 1 flap (Radian Pro type) and using the Sherman’s 6 servo sailplane template can you still initially select the actual corresponding wing type- 2 aileron 1 flap, and still have the remaining programming functions ie crow, and ail to rud mixes/functions?
Good Choice, you will be real happy with it.

Answer 1.

If you are referring to losing the models because of a firmware upgrade, in general NO. Having said that, it is real easy to transfer all the models in the radio to a SD card in a single operation. Then if necessary, transfer them back in a single operation. You can use the same card you are using to upgrade the firmware.

1. Download the models to the SD card.
2. Insert the SD card into your computer and copy the new firmware to the SD card.
3. Insert the SD card into the transmitter and turn the transmitter on. The firmware update will occur automatically.
4. If necessary, upload all the models from the SD card to the radio in a single operation.

If you question concerns changing your programming (example, rudder now move backwards like what would happen if you reversed the servo) it is possible. It depends on the issues the new firmware is trying to resolve. It is important to read the release notes and it is important to verify that everything works like it should after the update.

The firmware update is to resolve issues discovered in the programming. Usually they are minor and will effect few people. I don’t think Spektrum will ever do a “overhaul” of the programming for the DX18. The firmware updates are more of a “tweak.”

Answer 2.

Just select 2 aileron. That way none of the flap features appear in the programming (Ail to Flap mixing, Flap differential and a bunch of others) so it is less confusing. In the Camber System section, only Ailerons are available. Either lever or flap stick can be used to activate crow or used to make the ailerons act like flaps.

Answer 3.

In general YES. One flap assumes that one servo works both flaps (mechanically) or both flaps have their own servo but are linked together by a Y-Harness. Channel assignment found in System Setup will tell you which port to use on the receiver. Port assignments change automatically when you change the number of flap servos.

The other day I programmed a Radio Pro for a friend. If you have two flap servos you should use a receiver with enough channel capacity so each servo has its own port. If you use a y-harness you lose a bunch of programming features. (Individual flap control for SubTrim, end point adjustments, aileron to flap mixing, flap differential, balance feature to mirror image the flaps so they move together) The biggest loss of these is losing the ability to make both servos act the same, a mirror image of each other. You are stuck relying entirely on your mechanical (not electrical) setup to make the servos work the same.

ALL of the other mixes and features you noted above are still available.

In my mind it is WAY worth the cost it to use a receiver with enough ports so each flap servo is driven independently.

Good LucK

Sherman Knight
Team Horizon Hobby Air
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:10 AM
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Aug 2006
121 Posts
Sherman,
Can you post the spm of the radian pro. Having trouble getting the motor to work right.
brentrob is offline Find More Posts by brentrob
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:13 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
884 Posts
It is not my radio so I dont have easy access to it.

In system setup select Sailplane Type and choose the switch, side slide or stick you want to use to control the motor

Go to Channel assign and plug the ESC into the correct port. This port will change depanding upon the type of wing selected.

And that is about it. Every ESC has a different setup. Some have to go through a arming sequence or a basic setup so the ESC can obtain the range of motion of a lever or stick to make the motor go from 0 to 100%

I dont know what "getting the motor to work right" means. A more through explanition might be helpful

Sherman Knight
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:17 AM
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoste71 View Post
Hi,

I just dev a small application to visualize and perform small calculate on the spektrum.tlm file .
For now i read altitude sensor, for me it's very usefull for settings my new F3J models.
some calculation can be done, max altitude, min altitude beetween 2 repairs line.
Climb rate + or -, zooming
print, exporting to clipboard

you can download it here.
(you must have an altitude sensor, a dx8 or dx18 with telemetry ON and a spektrum.tlm file)

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8U...G1VTm9VbFlqU0E

just tell me if you have any problem, i will fix it.
tell me if it's usefull for you too ;-)

Attachment 5229631
Great looking and does not need an I-Thing.
Some problems with the zoom. I find it will not always restore original view.
I would love to have this type of program for the Spektrum. The I-THing version is over graphic intensive and not as informative. I can see my zoom in this display but it is filtered out on the I-Thing display.

Name: Spektrum 1.jpg
Views: 90
Size: 21.8 KB
Description: Flight log looks good.

Name: Spektrum 2.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 24.0 KB
Description: Two logs super imposed. This would be a greatoption if intended.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 05:25 AM
Crowthorne, Berks
Joined Jul 2004
28 Posts
I posted this query on Radios/New Products/ DX18 but it is probably more appropriate here.
I am setting up a Super Ava glider. It is an 3.7m electric, rudder/elevator model, with airbrakes of the barn door type.
I am using an AR600 carbon friendly Rx.
I want to assign Rx Ch1 to the motor as this will give motor cut failsafe in the event of signal loss. Ch2 will be the rudder (operated from the aileron stick). Elevator as normal. Ch 6 is needed for the UBEC power supply. So I have Rx Chs 4 & 5 for the two airbrake servos.
Finally I want the motor and airbrakes to be controlled by a switch or flight mode so that they cannot be operated at the same time.
The airbrakes are operated by the full servo travel from one end to the other. I can set this up on either the throttle stick or the left slider using the Camber System function controlled by the Flight Mode.
My problem is that the default location (ie off) for the airbrake channels is the midpoint. This means that when I disable them by the flight mode switch they move to half-open.
I have tried both airplane and sailplane modes with no success.
Any suggestions please.
Peter
Sedbergh41 is offline Find More Posts by Sedbergh41
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:30 AM
Tailspin
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
436 Posts
If you set the "offset" function to +/_100 percent you will have full throw of the servo with the zero point at one end.

This is what I ended up doing on mine. Also I use the throttle stick for glide slope control only and put the motor either on a side lever or a three position switch with the first position being only a "burp the motor" setting and the second position being 100%.

Hope this helps
jiafret is offline Find More Posts by jiafret
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:55 AM
Crowthorne, Berks
Joined Jul 2004
28 Posts
Jiafret

That is what I did succesfully when the airbrakes were active from the flight mode. The problem was that when they were inactive the offset did not affect the default mid position.
However I have had a response from Andy Kunz to my posting on the Radios/New Products/ DX18 thread.
He suggested mixing ON> RFL to be active in the flight modes where the airbrakes were to be inactive and it worked perfectly. Don't understand it, but what the hell it worked.
Otherwise my setup is the same as yours.
Peter
Sedbergh41 is offline Find More Posts by Sedbergh41
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:12 PM
Tailspin
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
436 Posts
The not understanding is why I dislike most of the programming out there, the only radios I own that have real logic is the Profi 4000 and it looks like the next years Wetronics (?) will be great for programming. I played with the logic at Toledo a few days ago and it is very much like the Profi in logic flow. I do not know about the Jeti but it could be good also but I have not seen a logic chart for its GUI.

Jack
jiafret is offline Find More Posts by jiafret