HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:33 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,725 Posts
Discussion
Thanks for the thermal threads

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and thought I would jump in. About a month ago a flying buddy and I did some bartering with stuff I had laying around and stuff he had. I ended up scoring a Sig Riser 100 from him. We hi-started a few times but were never able to at times of day where thermals were really cookin'. He mentioned we needed to get an electric motor in it. Another friend around here had some old brushed motor setups laying around and gave me a box of stuff including ESCs and folding props. Well it is now electrified and I am starting to really dig thermal/glider flying. I've been spending most of my time with multirotor with cams since I am a video producer but thought the glider would be a nice change of pace.

I took it out a few times when the winds were lighter and it was later in the day and only once did I find any kind of thermal but I was clueless how to look for them. I started reading some of the thermal threads around here on how to find them and what to look for. I must say I did enjoy the silly banter back and forth over whether electric was the way to learn. It would take me forever to learn this if I didn't have a motor in the front.

Yesterday I went out when it was light winds about 5-8mph and early afternoon. I went to my usual flying place near my home and just stood there and looked at the field. There were a few swallows flying up in the sky which was a good sign and I saw a vulture way off in the distance soaring around so I knew something was happening up there. My first flight I had no luck. Flew about 8-9 minutes total and landed. I would fly up high and coast looking for thermal in places I thought they may be based on what I read. There is a big pond in the field and that was my first thought but nothing there.

Before my second flight I looked around the field again. There seemed to be 2 different places the swallows were congregating. I thought maybe it was a little more active out there. I hurried and got in the air and climbed up to a nice altitude and started gliding. Noticed the plane bounce a few times so I started circling. Whatcha know I wasn't losing altitude. I kept flying figure 8s around the area and held altitude down wind and up wind for awhile. When I did finally come down I powered back up and climbed up high again and repeated. I ended up with a 20 minute flight and a number of stretches of 2-3 minutes of no power...just floating around. Was cool as can be. It's not that hour flight others have mentioned and I haven't found those big thermals everyone talked about but I did manage a 20 minute flight with some smaller thermals.

Thanks to the threads around here on how to find them I was able to actually find them and use them. I'm not that big on fast flying and 3D stuff but this soaring/thermal is pretty cool and more my speed. I have a little 3D foamy I will be looking to trade for some stuff to make my glider better or get another glider. Next project is to get the spoilers working on the Riser 100.

Thanks again for the helpful threads....and quit arguing about whether electric or hi-start or hand launch is better. Different strokes for different folks.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:34 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
I now have two electrified sailplanes and four non electric in my quiver. I did the conversions on the two E birds and it has been a wonderful learning experience. I was a pure non-E dude for the first two years I was soaring. Then one hot summer day at the field while I was sweating like crazy hi-starting my 2 meter I noticed all of my friends soaring their E birds while sitting in the shade. That is when I bought a very used Aspire and did the conversion myself. I also hurt my back and right shoulder hi-starting my big sailplane one day so I decided to have options.
There is nothing I would rather be doing than watching one of the planes I built soaring way up high inside a nice thermal with a company of buzzards and a beautiful backdrop of white clouds thrown in for fun!
One of the best compliments I can have is for one of the guys at the field ask for my help or advice regarding his sailplane. I am no Larry Vincek or Brian Smith but I can usually help him out.

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:51 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,940 Posts
Another great time to find lift is in the morning maybe 2-4 hours after sunrise when the wind is low and the lift is high.
SOOO much fun when it just seems to go on forever wherever you fly!
I learned to fly at age 13 throwing a Gentle Lady around the schoolyard... many weeks perfecting a complete turn from a handlaunch without disorienting.
Next were high-starts with the thrill of the vertical launch.
Then the woefully inadequate cheap E-systems of yesteryear (ca 1990) followed by a long spat of Glo-power....long pause of a decade or so out of the hobby completely... now I LOVE the modern electrics, from warbirds to powered gliders.
But my main love above all else, my first love of adolescense even before girls, was thermals. The highlight of my post-childhood was a Cox Tee Dee .09 power pod on an Olympic II (polyhedral 100"-er) that finally ran out of gas about twice as high as any high start to date. I spent about two hours in the air and suffered a bad sunburn, but compared to merely a few months prior when the newly-discovered thrill was doped-tissue free flights that took weeks to build and seconds to fly...well shoot, I doesn't get better than being allowed into a world you can't experience with your own senses except your eyes.
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:05 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,194 Posts
You might like this thread also:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1574114

R/C Soaring Histroy, the thread to see how we got to were we are today.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
You might like this thread also:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1574114

R/C Soaring Histroy, the thread to see how we got to were we are today.

Joe
I will have to check that out when I get some time. Will be a good read.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:37 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
Another great time to find lift is in the morning maybe 2-4 hours after sunrise when the wind is low and the lift is high.
SOOO much fun when it just seems to go on forever wherever you fly!
I learned to fly at age 13 throwing a Gentle Lady around the schoolyard... many weeks perfecting a complete turn from a handlaunch without disorienting.
Next were high-starts with the thrill of the vertical launch.
Then the woefully inadequate cheap E-systems of yesteryear (ca 1990) followed by a long spat of Glo-power....long pause of a decade or so out of the hobby completely... now I LOVE the modern electrics, from warbirds to powered gliders.
But my main love above all else, my first love of adolescense even before girls, was thermals. The highlight of my post-childhood was a Cox Tee Dee .09 power pod on an Olympic II (polyhedral 100"-er) that finally ran out of gas about twice as high as any high start to date. I spent about two hours in the air and suffered a bad sunburn, but compared to merely a few months prior when the newly-discovered thrill was doped-tissue free flights that took weeks to build and seconds to fly...well shoot, I doesn't get better than being allowed into a world you can't experience with your own senses except your eyes.
I'm kinda like you. I wanted an RC plane back in the early 80s. Having grown up around aviation I always loved flying. I was the neighborhood guru when it came to everyone's CL pieces of crap they got for Christmas. I was the only one that could get them to run right and fly. I built a few balsa CL setups over the years and even into the early to mid 90s. All I ever used was the venerable Cox .049.

My first foray into RC was the early 80s just after I got married. I managed to get my wife to get me a glider and radio setup for Christmas one year. I spent 3 months building that 72" winged glider, learned to build on the living room floor, learned to monocote and everything. She even got me the high start setup too. Once it was done I tossed it a few times but was scared to hi start it not knowing what to do. I found an AMA flying site north of Pompano, FL where I was living and went down there to get some teaching. One person flew it and trimmed it out and gave me some tips on how to get it set up correctly. I had way too much throw on the control surfaces so I had to go home and change it. Came back a few weeks later and did a few high starts and watched them fly my plane to make sure it was good. Tried a few times, once in high winds, and the high start folded the wings. I gave up on it at that point. The plans said it could use a nitro motor with the .049 being the smallest recommended. I figured, Heck I gotta a bunch of those at home so I mod'ed the plane and installed an 049. Took it to the AMA flying park and let some one fly it again to see how it works. They had been flying big 1/4 scale planes and weren't used to the glider. They launched into a gentle wind. Stupid pilot tried to climb straight up with that 049 on a 72" glider. Come on, even I knew you fly straight and let your speed create lift and slowly climb. Well he kept going up and stall up and stall up and stall....eventually the wind pushed it out of range into a tomato patch and I never found it. The pilot felt bad and gave me on used motor a little bigger and said, "here when you find it install this and you will do better" I went home dejected and ticked. Gave up on planes and got a car since I couldn't lose one of those.

A few years back I got back into flying again mostly for aerial photo/video since I'm a video producer. This glider I just got has sparked a new fun interest in thermaling. There's something cerebral about studying the air and finding the lift. I am just learning it but it's a mind game I like to play. That's my history and how I got back to this point. I still do lots of flying for images and video...the thermal glider is release from stress time.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
939 Posts
Chicks dig thermalling gliders!

Just ask one who's watching. -P
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:51 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
My wife Carmela passed away due to cancer just four months ago. It was a battle of over two years. Everything went on hold and had to be put away so I could take care of her. Everything except my rc sailplanes. I continued to build and fly through those terrible months. It is impossible for me to express how comforting and therapeutic it was for me to be involved in this hobby at that time. One of the things that got me through was standing out in the field on a beautiful day soaring a plane I had built with my own two hands and having friends soaring their planes right there with me....

It doesn't get any better than that.

Donald
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:45 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planepainter View Post
My wife Carmela passed away due to cancer just four months ago. It was a battle of over two years. Everything went on hold and had to be put away so I could take care of her. Everything except my rc sailplanes. I continued to build and fly through those terrible months. It is impossible for me to express how comforting and therapeutic it was for me to be involved in this hobby at that time. One of the things that got me through was standing out in the field on a beautiful day soaring a plane I had built with my own two hands and having friends soaring their planes right there with me....

It doesn't get any better than that.

Donald
PP,

My first build was a 2M Chrysalis,about 4 years ago. It was my first build since I was a kid. Then I decided to build an Oly III,and used your build log to build it. I've been addicted ever since. Your build log,comments and photos on all of your builds have been a real blessing and guide to my building. It is definately therapeutic. I love building them,as much as flying them. I am now even scratch building them. I owe you a lot of thanks for your build logs,because they inspired me and made it so much easier to build and follow.

And by the way I just flew my stretched custom pod and boom golf shaft Sig Riser I named Mulligan after using the golf shaft for the boom. What a great flying plane. I made it and my Oly III electric. I don't know which one I like flying better.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:44 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Hey Donald,

Sorry for your loss, and I know exactly what you mean about enjoying the "distraction" of flying your sailplanes. My wife also passed away from Cancer just over 3 years ago, and somehow to this day flying has never had greater value to me.

Oly III you say? Build log? I need to find this, as I'm just beginning an e-conversion build of an OLY II SX. Your efforts are going to be immensely helpful!

Best,

Rob
It does get easier with time...
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:10 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
Hi Rob. You can find my OLYIII build log on the sailplane forum and it is titled Olympic 3 kit. I never intended it to become the go-to build log for the OLYIII but it seems to be going that way. I originally intended it to be a great fun time for anyone who wanted to join in on the log with suggestions and it turned out that way. I figured I may as well photo document the thing for future builders and I think at last count it is well over 100 photos of the build.
My O3 however is non electric. Eddie's e conversion is a better log for that information. But his is a great log also.
Eddie, I am honored that such a great builder like yourself has shown me such a wonderful compliment. Mulligan is a great name!! And it is one of the most beautiful sailplanes I have ever seen! I am glad it flies so well.
And thanks to all you guys for the kind words you have expressed to me on this site!!

Another place where you might find some fun and helpful info is my recently completed mod log of my Bud Riser 132. It has several mods that I dealt with and the plane turned out to be a great thermal ship! And I did do an E conversion there.

PP
Last edited by planepainter; Jul 07, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:13 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,339 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. We haven't seen you for quite a while so hope you can join us for some more flying. We haven't been too active lately because of the excessive heat.

Chuck
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:35 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
Hi Chuck! The only car I have to carry my sailplanes in dropped a transmission on the fourth of July. It is being repaired as we speak. As soon as I get my car back and the heat lets up a bit I plan to be in Tullahoma soaring with my good friends!
Give my regards to the gang down there and I will see you all soon.

PP
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:47 AM
Glider Guider
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,711 Posts
Well, this is a Sad thread. My wife has cancer and is currently going through chemotherapy. She has 3 more sessions to go through and then the radiation therapy starts. I'm building a little 2 meter Mountain Models Jester to keep my mind busy. I'm sorry to hear about your losses, guys. I hope I won't have to endure that pain also.
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:28 AM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12 View Post
Well, this is a Sad thread. My wife has cancer and is currently going through chemotherapy. She has 3 more sessions to go through and then the radiation therapy starts. I'm building a little 2 meter Mountain Models Jester to keep my mind busy. I'm sorry to hear about your losses, guys. I hope I won't have to endure that pain also.
Maybe I can make it better. I learned last week to family members were fighting cancer. We learned about them both within a few months of each other. One had liver cancer and one had a few different kinds. I'm happy to say my sister-in-law that had liver cancer is doing great and been pronounced free after a few sessions of chemo/radiation and a surgery to remove the cancered part of her liver. We are excited. My father-in-law told us on Christmas day he had throat cancer, lymphoma and some other cancer he didn't want to talk about. He wasn't going to do treatments as he feared they would be worse than letting it run it's course. Well his wife talked him into treatments and he is doing well. His throat tumor is much smaller and they are deciding if they should remove it. His blood counts are now normal and he has one more test to see if the lymphoma is gone. Overall he is playing golf again and being normal. We are thankful.

No I didn't build a plane while they were sick for therapy. I don't have room in my house to build...I have to get my planes already built...trust me an 900 sqf house isn't big and I run my video company out of it so there is no room. Instead I took up biking last year and have been riding my bicycle to get out of the house and forget about stuff. My next ride today will pass the 1500 mile mark for this year. I am doing a ride in 2 weeks that is 150 miles in 2 days to raise money for lymphoma and leukemia research. It's my way of giving back.

I do however go fly my 3M riser as much as possible for relaxation...and the best part is at this weekends local airshow I won the brushless motor I needed to get this thing to climb out. My old brushless setup just wasn't working well.

Just wanted to try and bring a little happiness back to this thread.

For those that lost family members or have family members fighting cancer I am getting names of those special people and carrying a list of names on my bike ride in 2 weeks in their honor and memory. If you would like me to carry their name along just shoot me a PM and I will add them to the list and they can ride the 150 miles along Lake Michigan with me.