HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:00 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2006
505 Posts
Discussion
Help with Flying my First Quad

Sorry for this super noob question.

I am getting ready to order my first quad. I am ordering the DJI 450 with Naza. I practice with a blade 120 and the Quad on the real flight sim.

My question is, when I fly the quad on the sim, I pretend the red arm is the tail like on the heli and keep it pointed at me. The DJI 450 has two red and two white arm's and it looks like people fly it with the two white arm's as the tail so the camera can be centered. Can someone tell me the basic philosphy of flying these. Thanks.
stvinvegas is offline Find More Posts by stvinvegas
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:10 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvinvegas View Post
Sorry for this super noob question.

I am getting ready to order my first quad. I am ordering the DJI 450 with Naza. I practice with a blade 120 and the Quad on the real flight sim.

My question is, when I fly the quad on the sim, I pretend the red arm is the tail like on the heli and keep it pointed at me. The DJI 450 has two red and two white arm's and it looks like people fly it with the two white arm's as the tail so the camera can be centered. Can someone tell me the basic philosphy of flying these. Thanks.
easy peasy.
Go to your local hobby store and get a bit of carbon pole and a ping pong ball.
Punch a hole in the ping pong ball and glue it centre of carbon pole
then find a way to connect the ends of the pole to the rear of the craft between the 2 rear arms.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:13 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
eg

hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:40 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2006
505 Posts
Thanks for the idea, but are you saying that you fly it the same as a heli, but the center of the ping pong ball is your "heli" tail. When I fly the quad on the sim, if I make a right aileron turn the right arm goes down. What happens when I turn, are the red and white arms both going to tilt to the right?
stvinvegas is offline Find More Posts by stvinvegas
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:20 PM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
the 3D flying aspect of it, as far as the controls go, is similar to a heli in the sense of yaw, pitch, and roll. ale right will make the quad roll to the right just as it would a heli. rudder left will yaw the quad to the left, just like a heli. ele up will... well I think you get the idea... but just because I compare them to flying a 3D heli, don't make the mistake of thinking a quad is a 3D flyer, they don't like to be upside-down, lol. with a skilled pilot and an agile quad, loops and rolls are possible, but they have to be performed quickly so the quad doesnt run itself into the ground, since there's no reversing the thrust on a quad (your average quad anyhow, I'm sure there's someone out there that's made some crazy variable pitched quad that can fly inverted ). the most common reason people crash their quad is from loosing the orientation of it. you have to find a way that works best for you that helps you distinguish the front of the quad from the back. some use the pingpong ball on a rod method, some use different colored booms, some use different colored props, different colored LEDs, custom directional canopies, even a combination of some or all of the above. in the end, you just have to try different methods and see what works best for you
iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; Jun 25, 2012 at 01:57 PM.