HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2001, 05:17 PM
MA
Joined Sep 2001
248 Posts
Getting my Soarstar out of a tree...

I think this is it, I'll probably need to retire my trusty Soarstar after I get it back from this one (over 40 or so flights so I'm not too upset). I was trying to fly my Soarstar in 20-25mph winds at a local school surrounded by trees. I was doing OK until the batteries got low and the wind took the plane like a kite. It got lodged 40-50 feet up in a tall evergreen. What's the best way to get it out? I'm not too worried about getting the plane back in the best condition, I really just want to get it back so that I can recycle the radio and electronics.

Thanks!
f2racer is offline Find More Posts by f2racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2001, 08:04 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
When I can't do the "Old Fat Guy Climbing a Tree Thing" to shake the plane out. I get my trusty baitcasting rod and reel out with a couple of weights and no hooks. I try to hit the branch the plane is on or the plane itself. Generally the weights will twist around the line so I can pull on the line. So far I've been lucky and gotten them down.
Good Luck!!
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Nov 09, 2001, 09:16 PM
Columbia, MO USA
Joined Feb 2001
715 Posts
Cut some 1/2 inch CPVC pipe into 5 ft sections and use couplers to connect enough of them together to reach the plane. If the joints with the couplers aren't tight enough then wrap some masking tape around the end of the pipe until they fit.
VWtechie is offline Find More Posts by VWtechie
Old Nov 09, 2001, 11:15 PM
Senior Member ??
Southern California, USA
Joined Sep 2001
388 Posts
Sorry to hear of your "landing". I tried for hours to remove my Zagi from about 50' in a tree. I tried climbing, used pole, and string on a tennis ball. No good. I finally got the assistance of a neighbor with a sign truck (bucket on a boom). I just introduced myself, and he was glad to help.

Good Luck!
ETKing is offline Find More Posts by ETKing
Old Nov 09, 2001, 11:42 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,882 Posts
pnuematic potato cannon?

Great Fun, even if you don't get the plane out!!!

GRIN,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
Old Nov 10, 2001, 08:33 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Paintball anyone?
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Nov 10, 2001, 01:38 PM
MA
Joined Sep 2001
248 Posts
Got it out...

Well I did it. I took my trusty ladder to the schoolyard and started climbing the tree. Had a buddy of mine "spot me" since I got to at least 40 or so feet up, then used a really big dead branch, that my buddy handed me when I first climbed up, to knock the plane down. I'm amazed by the lack of damage, considering the sound of the cruch which occurred when the plane impacted. Kinda sucks since I had already decided that I was going to get another electric. Now I've got to weigh new vs. repair...
f2racer is offline Find More Posts by f2racer
Old Nov 10, 2001, 08:46 PM
EFlight=Fun,Big-T=BIG FUN
San Antonio, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2001
964 Posts
I turned my totaled SoarStar into a Wally Wonder Wing (see the Foamie forum). Hardlock has a good design there and it is easy to build.
bjsiegel@texas.net is offline Find More Posts by bjsiegel@texas.net