SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Mar 2004
1,107 Posts
Help!
RCEXL opto kill switch does not work tried three of them

I purchased three of these switches several months ago and just now finding time to work on another project. The gas motor I am using has a RCXEL ignition. In my setup I want to use two lipo’s one for the RX and one for the Ignition system. Now for the problem – For the Ignition I have a lipo then a on/off switch then a BEC which feeds the input to the RCEXL Opto switch, the RCXL ouput feeds the Ignition 5.2v and the RX wire goes to the receiver. Problem –LED does not light next no power to the Ignition. I tried all three of these and the same was true. Next I took a cheapo opto switch I had laying around but it only works on the receiver which means I can not use another battery to supply voltage to the RCEXL ignition. it worked but I still rather use two separate battery’s.
So, I was in a hurry to get this running and still wanted to use two separate lipo’s-one for RX and one for ignition so I used a 5amp brushed ESC and used it, to kill power to the BEC that feeds the Ignition. I installed a LED in the circuit to show when it’s off or on. Works like a champ. Just like I thought the RCEXL opto switch would or should do. So what is the secret to wire it to make it work?

I am using a Futaba 14MZ 2.4ghz if that would make a difference also . I did adjust my end points from 100% all the way to 140% to see if that work work . I have had ESC that needed end points changed to make work, but no go.
The setup that I did with the brushed ESC works prefect but I have three opto switches laying here that I would like to used them some day.
Any help would be great
Go4it is offline Find More Posts by Go4it
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Mar 2004
1,107 Posts
I found this info but still no luck on making them work with my 14MZ. I will try another radio and see if it makes a difference
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:58 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
which Rx are you using? My Rcexl opto kills work on all my Futaba 2.4 Rx
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:59 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,150 Posts
Are you using the high speed mode on the TX/RX? You might try the standard mode, where it doesn't try controlling the servos at a higher data rate.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Mar 2004
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
which Rx are you using? My Rcexl opto kills work on all my Futaba 2.4 Rx

I am using 14 channel 2.4Ghz Rx Futaba
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Mar 2004
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Are you using the high speed mode on the TX/RX? You might try the standard mode, where it doesn't try controlling the servos at a higher data rate.

I know on the 8 channel Rx I can switch to high speed
but I am using the 14 channel older one which is not switchable
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:32 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
some futaba receivers use a low voltage signal that wont trigger the kill switch.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Mar 2004
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeetarJoe View Post
some futaba receivers use a low voltage signal that wont trigger the kill switch.
You are correct both receivers for my 14MZ 14channel and 8 channel 2.4Ghz do not work with these switches. To bad I purchased three of these switches, go figure
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:38 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
That opto kill works just fine on all my FASST 2.4GHz Receivers. That includes the

R6008HS
R6208SB
R6203SB
R617FS
Fr Sky TFR-8
and I have about 5 of them.
One is operating in my showtime off a single battery and after the diode.

Have you set the kill function correctly in the Tx?

can you post a pic of the electrical layout you're using
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:57 PM
Columbus, oh
Joined Apr 2003
372 Posts

I have 8fg and I am having issues setting up the RCxcel. I have a 4.8 NiCad ignition battery. I am running 6.6v LiFe on the receiver. I plugged RCxcel receiver connector into channel 5. I can't even get the LED to light with the receiver and ignition batteries connected.. Any ideas
rightflyer is offline Find More Posts by rightflyer
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Mar 2004
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightflyer View Post
I have 8fg and I am having issues setting up the RCxcel. I have a 4.8 NiCad ignition battery. I am running 6.6v LiFe on the receiver. I plugged RCxcel receiver connector into channel 5. I can't even get the LED to light with the receiver and ignition batteries connected.. Any ideas
Yep same problem as with my 14mz. Light does not come on
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:32 PM
Columbus, oh
Joined Apr 2003
372 Posts

I am rather mystified to this point. Apparently TimBle is getting them to work. Hopefully, he has some ideas what I am doing wrong.
rightflyer is offline Find More Posts by rightflyer
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Go4it,

have you tried Lipo battery then RCexl kill switch and plug into receiver???

This is just a small test to see if it works with voltage over 6v
(Can't remember which opto kill switch but have read somewhere one of then needs 6v and over to work)

Make sure your ignition is unplugged during this test because output voltage could be too high for some ignition systems.

I have two of these and they work fine.

My setup is,

Lipo---switch---rcexl kill switch---battery regulator 4.8v--- ignition system

Paul
incarpaul is offline Find More Posts by incarpaul
Last edited by incarpaul; Jul 27, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2004
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by incarpaul View Post
Go4it,

have you tried Lipo battery then RCexl kill switch and plug into receiver???

This is just a small test to see if it works with voltage over 6v
(Can't remember which opto kill switch but have read somewhere one of then needs 6v and over to work)

Make sure your ignition is unplugged during this test because output voltage could be too high for some ignition systems.

I have two of these and they work fine.

My setup is,

Lipo---switch---rcexl kill switch---battery regulator 4.8v--- ignition system

Paul
H,i my setup is using a two 3S lipo's One for Rx and the other one for the gas ignition . My setup on the gas side---- Lipo-switch- BEC @5.0v do to the ignition rated input voltage--Rcexl kill switch--one wire to Rx the other to gas ignition.DOES NOT WORK-no light no output voltage

To solve my problem I installed a brushed speed controller 10amp and I use it as a switch-on/off works like a champ and half the price . The setup that works-lipo-ESC-BEC-output to ignition---ESC controlled by Rx as on/ off switch.So I have two means to shut down the gas motor--throttle close switch for carb plus another toggle switch on transmitter that turns on/off voltage to ignition via ESC. After 50 plus fights no problems. Note: Also I installed a RED LED light off the BEC output to show power is on or off to the Ignition. Also I set my radio up with a fail safe if I loose voltage to the Rx it shuts down the ESC and kills voltage to the ignition. This gives three ways to shut down the beast-[100cc gasser]
Last edited by Go4it; Jul 27, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
687 Posts
Through the switch away. I use throttle cut and a choke servo. Both are convienient and it works to remotely kill the ignition with out some fancy switch taking up an extra channel. Both are IMAA and AMA acceptable. The rule only states that you have a means of remotely sutting down the ignition. It also eliminates an extra electronic device that may and can fail. You then can run the batteries that you want to use. I personally use LIFE batteries so I dont have to use a regulator, thats one les thing to go bad in flight. I power and control even my 35% planes with the K I S S method, Keep It Simple Stupid! It works for me and keeps me flying.

Hope it helps, Bobby
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr