HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by earlwb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:41 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,351 Posts
Discussion
Playing with my huge Aeroworks 80 inch Profile Extra RC plane

Here are pic of my huge Aeroworks Profile Extra plane with a 80 inch wingspan. I can just barely get it into my car to take it to the flying field. I am using a ASP 1.80 engine on the plane. At present I am running a 20x6 prop on the engine. I might have to go larger on the fuel tank, but at this time the 16 ounce tank is doing OK for flight time, as I don't fly the plane WOT all the time.

I also tried out the Futaba S.Bus system with this plane, I used S.Bus servos on all the control surfaces with a conventional throttle servo. A 5 cell NMH 2000 mah pack supplies the power. The receiver is a newer dual S.Bus channel RX.

I flew the plane several times and it flies great. I love the buzz saw roll rate too. One would think with a plane this big that it wouldn't roll fast or perform tight loops, but this plane does them anyway.

The ASP 1.80 engine works OK, but it is too rich through the mid range, so I'll probably have to do some mods to the carb, if I figure out what the problem is. I suspect the spray bar is too short and needs to be a bit longer.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:25 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,351 Posts
I took a few videos of me flying the big plane today. I tried a new video camera out, the camera works well, but I don't like the way it distorts the image with its lens setup. I'll make a better video in the future using a better camera. A little cheap keychain video camera takes better videos without all of the distortion effects from the lense.

Flying my Aeroworks 80 inch Profile Extra RC plane (8 min 18 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:38 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,351 Posts
Here is a much better video clip of me flying the big Aero Works 80 inch profile Extra RC plane. This video camera doesn't have the fish eye lense effect that the other camera has.

Aeroworks 80 inch profie flight video m4v (7 min 49 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Dec 2008
3 Posts
Do you have a set of plans for this Aeroworks 80" profile Extra? I have a supertigre s3000 just itching to go on one of these. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
deadstick60 is offline Find More Posts by deadstick60
Old May 12, 2014, 12:52 PM
Joined Sep 2011
120 Posts
Very cool... I bet that plane will twist like no tomorrow.. Jim
JC Johnson is offline Find More Posts by JC Johnson
Old Aug 05, 2014, 01:51 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,351 Posts
Interestingly enough, due to its size it doesn't have a super fast roll rate. It tends to be more sedate in its maneuvers. But that wing is great, it can fly really slow and does some pretty good high alpha moves.
RCG Plus Member