HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,437 Posts
Question
frsky range check w/ telemetry

just got the frsky system (djt, d4r-ii, fld-02, etc). looks like a nice system.

how do you guys perform the range check? the manual says
- place rx antennas horizontally (right angles) but 2ft up
- place tx antenna vertically (orthogonal to the rx antennas)
- set tx to range check mode, walk 30 paces (meters?) and verify control

do you hear the rssi warning beeps as you walk away from the radio? i get the occasional beep after just a few paces from the rx.

i have an fld-02 display that shows the rssi value. even just after a few paces, the rssi value drops rapidly to around 50 (close to the 45 threshold). at 30 paces. it can hover between 40 and 50 and is beeping often. i think i still have control. is this normal and expected?

so, do you guys use the rssi warning beep (or fld rssi display) as an indicator for the range test?

thanks!
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:10 AM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
You will get beeps, but you should be able to get say 100ft away and still have control of the surfaces.
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:40 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,612 Posts
The "orthogonal to the rx antennas" statement is wrong and I am very curious to see in which manual you read this...
The universal rule is: Tx antenna must be parallel and not colinear with at least one receiver antennas.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
The "orthogonal to the rx antennas" statement is wrong and I am very curious to see in which manual you read this...
The universal rule is: Tx antenna must be parallel and not colinear with at least one receiver antennas.
you're right that the manual did not state those specific instructions (only just that the tx antenna is vertical). however, in range check mode, shouldn't we verify that we still have control of the rx in the worst case condition (orthogonal)?
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Last edited by noobee; Jun 27, 2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:07 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,612 Posts
If you want it this way, you are right.
Orthogonal is not the worst case, it 26dB signal drop "only" i.e. about 20x range decrease.
The worst is when both receiver antennas and Tx antenna are collinear, i.e. pointing to each other, theoretically this is an absolute null signal case.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Oct 08, 2012 at 11:54 AM.