HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:58 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Hey Joe, it's looking really great!!! Now, you know, this one ya gotta make some burner nozzles on it!! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
hey Walt,
those would definitely look cool but I think I'am gonna have to pass up on them, I dont want to do anything to possibly change the exhaust shape..would be my luck to unintentionally add adverse up or down thrust.

today so far got the forward fuse all framed and planked, all thats left is cutting the nose and canopy. I believe I will mask off all the joining surfaces and spackle/seal everything before final assembly, had a heck of a time trying to sand down Phantom #1 without putting sandpaper dings where the surfaces are at 90deg.'s from each other.
anyhow the pics show a blow by blow on the forward fuse assembly.

anyone out there attempting to build one yet?.., or just waiting for a maiden..
Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
took a break from building the Phantom to go get some stick time with my SU-27 64mm jet, tried out a homemade head mount for my cam, need to adjust the angle a tad to get the launch but the rest of the vid (besides kinda crappy resolution) aint too awefull bad. enjoy

now back to the Phantom.

su 27 flight (4 min 34 sec)
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
after flying today I blocked out the nose and canopy with bluecore foam and sanded them to shape, stuck em all together with scotch tape to see how it looks, iiiiiiIIIIII like it! I think it looks better than the first one. well folks that concludes the major build part of this plane, all thats left is spackleing fine sanding and sealing then simply gluing the major components together and installing the motor. Iam very happy with how its turning out and feel confident it will fly just as sweetly as #1 did.

Joe
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:42 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Joe, it looks really great!!!!!! Have you got a paint scheme in mind for it? That is one of the hardest thins for me is trying to decide on a scheme.... Something that will save you a lot of work,,,, for making noses,canopies and larger thing that need shaping and sanding, I use the 3/4" foam for that,I get the stuff in the 4x8'sheets,,, a whole lot easier thn cutting out and glueing together many pieces of the thin stuff.... Also I use the Elmer's rubber cement for glueing a lot of the foam,,, it's cheap, available at Wally for $1.60 works great and sands like it isn't even there! Comes with a brush attached to the lid,,, brush it on both pieces, let dry ( takes less than a minute) align parts and press together, instant bond!!!! W
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:36 AM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
935 Posts
Wow, really great work! Love the progress.
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
thanks guys,

hey Walt,
I'am flipping a coin on a more modern Euro blue on blue camo or another Vietnam era SEA camo...hmmm decisions decisions

normally I would cut the canopy and nose out of solid block bluecore (witch I have in abundance) but I have a few sheets I hotwired at 3/8th's" thick by 14" wide by 34" long...sliced a bunch for a project awhile back and these were extra, so I needed to use em on something...I have a couple bottles of rubber cement, couple cans Elmers spray adhesive, 3M-77, Loktite 200, and a generic looking can that doesnt hold very good (use it and Elmers for template sticking) I just used Loketite 200 cause it was easiest. I have kinda shied away from rubber cement mainly from past experience with it, I have had parts debond over time with rubber cement, dont know what the rubber base is in it but if it is latex based it will break down over a period of a few months. with 3M-77 and Loktite I have balsa sheeted wings I did a decade ago that still show no signs of debonding or bubbleing. I dunno maybe you guys have had better luck with rubber cement,..difference in climate and humidity perchance..?

well I have some spackelate'in to do today, and more sanding.

oh by the way put it on the scale this morning and she weights in at 8ozs even. ..only a 1/2oz. more than #1. I added some wall thicknesses to this one that #1 didnt have hence slightly heavier but way stronger..

Joe
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:02 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Hi Joe! It will be interesting to see which scheme you decide on.... And that is great that it is lighter than thie original build too! On glues, I have them all too, it depends on the application as to which one I end up using.. Keep up the great work and the pics coming! W
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
hey ya Walt,
just waiting for the spakle to get good and dry, I decided to go with the Vietnam era SEA camo again, this time intead of sand will use the more accurate mustardish tan, also will try to apply with stencils and get a more realistic pattern, not going for any scale awards but I want to do a little better job this time around sense I know its a good flyer already, last Phantom was basically a test bed that I didnt invest a lot o time paintwise because I wasnt sure how it would fly,..just happened to fly awesome once the rates were sorted out.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:04 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
Nice!
That is some of the best looking foam work I've seen.

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
thankyou very much Julian

Joe
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:44 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
ok, all the spackleing/sanding is done, all the major parts glued together, and ready for the test glides, hopefully tomorrow. see how she flies and get the power unit in this baby..
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:25 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looks really good Joe! Man, your really zipping along on this build! W
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:11 AM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
935 Posts
Great Job! She looks real nice.
Joe, are you going to underhand launch this ??
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Hey sloperjoe, can you take a shot of the back of the plane? I would like to see how the air exits from the plane.

Vic
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel