SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:32 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
a brief synopsis on wing making with 2 or three layer lamination:

here is all the wing is:
(1)_first I cut the wing outline on depron that is 5mm thick, make three all cut from the same template
(2)_use a very flat hard surface and lay the first wing cutout down, use scotch tape in 4 or 5 spots to make sure it stays flat, use 3mm or 3/16th balsa shims under the trailing edge tips for washout.
(3)_use either 3m77 or Loctite 200 spray adhesive and spray the one taped down, then one side of the next wing cutout, let both set for at least 4 min. then carefully line up the leading edges and lay the 2nd cutout onto the first, press firmly and smoothly towards trailing edges this will cause washout on your tips.
(4)_leave everything taped down and cut slots for wing spars of your choice and peal the peaces out leaving a groove, glue your spars in.
(5)_spray the spared layer and one side of the 3rd cutout (the Phantoms 3rd layer is two piece), then using the same method lay it down to complete the three layer wing.
(6)_the Phantom plans have lines on the wings, these lines are your sanding guides. draw these lines onto the wing after laminating all three layers. simply bevel sand from leading edge down to layer #2 and back to the pen line, then round the leading edge full length of the wing, sand the trailing edge down to about an 1/8th" from the bottom side of the wing beveled up to the pen line.
(7)_you now have a basic airfoil, all you need to do is sand the wing to blend the bevels into the rest of the wing for a smoothly transitioning curved airfoil.

thats it, try it out, make a few smaller test wings and give it a shot. really is easy to do and makes a killer airfoil!

Joe

ps I use a hardwood ruler for a sanding block, 12" long by 1" wide.
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Sep 15, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:45 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
ok,
cut all 3 layers for the wing, along with the top deck duct cover witch is 2 layers thick. tomorrow I will do the wing lamination and sand the airfoil.

as you can see from the pics layer #3 is two piece, this forms a 5mm wall and will be where the intake/duct/fuse sides butt up against.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:41 AM
Australia, QLD, Brighton
Joined Sep 2006
150 Posts
would certainly be a strong wing built like that! you said these were good slopers yeah??
lemuel is offline Find More Posts by lemuel
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:57 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Joe, plans and thread look great! w
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Yet another model to add to my list. I was looking at your blog sloperjoe and I saw that you posted some build pictures. Will you be posting those on this thread as well or will you be doing another step by step build of your process?
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Vic,
I will try to do a step by step here as I go along.

Walt,
thank you sir

lemuel,
dont see any reason why it wouldnt fly fine for slope, ballasted and trimmed it should go pretty nice, wont be a rocket ship but should clip along pretty good.

Joe
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:41 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Cool joe! The last bandit I done had a similar wing built and sanded/shaped like this. I only used 2 layers of foam, it needed some strength so I ended up glassing the bottom of it and the plane flies great... Your wing being3 layers and it has more area should work out really great! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:53 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
thanks Walt,
just got home from work and gonna go sand that wing off, and try to cut some more parts out.
Joe
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
wing all sanded to shape, started with 100 grit, then smoothed it all out nice and buff with 400 grit. total sanding time was 35 min. this stuff really sands easy. also cut the forward fuse sides and the droop tail parts. tomorrow will cut the grooves in the wing and tail and bend them up and down respectively. the wing was the most time consuming part of this build, the rest should go fairly quickly.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
I like to scratch
United Kingdom, Leicester
Joined May 2008
139 Posts
Looking good sloperjoe.

What is the weight of just the wing section if you don't mind me asking?

I have been wondering what way to go for a wing build for my BAE Hawk and I must say that this looks the perfect solution. Hope you don't mind me stealing your idea

Paul
paul74 is offline Find More Posts by paul74
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
hey Paul,
the wing weights in at just barely 3oz's, the finished bare airframe on the original Phantom was 7.5oz's, and this one should end up at the same weight. its not really my idea, I saw it somewhere years ago and built several planes using that method. I like it and it works really well for a thin high lift airfoil.

just finished sweeping the tips of the wing up, and drooping the tail. I didnt cut these parts free, instead I cut beveled grooves not quite all the way through, then used a wedge shim under the parts while the epoxy set. I used a good straight edge/ruler to make certain the same sweep and droop were set in each side.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
ok got a little done today before I had to go run some errands, the ducting walls and splitter are on, I mounted the ESC with a strip of packing tape on the foam then used sticky back velcro (heavy duty) on top of that, then ran the battery and rx plug-in through a hole in the splitter and just coiled it up. I will not be mounting the motor in the plane at this time, I know where the CG is, however this is a different plane...did I cut everything exactly as I did before...? even a small difference in the incidence of the tail will change the flight characteristics, so I intend to do my usual test glides to find the optimum CG point that this Phantom will like to fly at, if its exactly the same... well hurah thats fine, but if its slightly different because the tail is 1-2 degrees off I want to know before throwing it in the air under power. also note the plans top view dont show the doublers, they do show the 2 layer wall thickness, the side view will show the doubler outline. you can see in the photo below how they look, they are just 1/2" wide by 5mm thick put on with spray adhesive. also note the Detrum fan unit must have the intake shroud modified or you'll never get it into this airframe., well I just ate, gonna go take a little siesta and continue the build when I wake up.

Joe
Old Jul 01, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
the ducting top deck is glued on and sanded to a nice rounded contour, the intake mouths are also nicely beveled in, I am starting on the last two major components, the forward fuse and upper rear fuse, should have those framed tonight or tomorrow morning.

Joe
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
ok, had just enough time to frame up the upper rear fuse section before bed time. note this section does not use doublers but instead the side walls are glued to the top planking (on as flat a surface as you can get) witch is two layers thick, the second layer is stepped to the inside dimension of the rear fuse section.
tomorrow I will build the final major section, the forward fuselage.

nightty night
Joe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Jul 01, 2012 at 12:33 PM.