Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:08 PM
United States, OH, Greenville
Joined Oct 2009
161 Posts
Phantom update

Hello guys, Well Joe, I said I would post some info on the twin 64mm Phantom.. Here are some pictures of the beast with some of its Hangar mates... In the group photo, the smaller Phantom is my twin 50mm that was in some earlier post...it is the 'original' size...the larter one has twin 64mm fans and has a span of 36 inches.. Also in the pics you will see my A-7 Corsair ll .. I know this is a Phantom thread, but I used the same build methods for them, so included them also.. They are both 36 in. span..Revised the Rick Urivich House of Balsa plans to use foam, and a ducted fan unit! The one with the red on the tail has a 70mm fan and the other one has a 64mm unit.. Both the 70mm A-7 and the 64 twin Phantom are covered with UltraKote and graphics by Callie Graphics...the others are painted with graphics printed on my home printer!! Hope you like the results...Thanks Joe for a great build method...especially the wings...works great!!
orvie6 is offline Find More Posts by orvie6
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:27 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvie6 View Post
Hello guys, Well Joe, I said I would post some info on the twin 64mm Phantom.. Here are some pictures of the beast with some of its Hangar mates... In the group photo, the smaller Phantom is my twin 50mm that was in some earlier post...it is the 'original' size...the larter one has twin 64mm fans and has a span of 36 inches.. Also in the pics you will see my A-7 Corsair ll .. I know this is a Phantom thread, but I used the same build methods for them, so included them also.. They are both 36 in. span..Revised the Rick Urivich House of Balsa plans to use foam, and a ducted fan unit! The one with the red on the tail has a 70mm fan and the other one has a 64mm unit.. Both the 70mm A-7 and the 64 twin Phantom are covered with UltraKote and graphics by Callie Graphics...the others are painted with graphics printed on my home printer!! Hope you like the results...Thanks Joe for a great build method...especially the wings...works great!!

you are most welcome, and as far as your hangar pics... WOWWWW!
they all look awesome! the twin 64 Phantom is "the cats booty"!!!
I have to ask... are you still handlaunching the mega Phantom, or do you need to bungee launch it? I would absolutely love to see a full flight video of this one if its not too much trouble, and I am pretty sure I am not the only one
outstanding job on all of them!

thank you very much for posting all of the pics!

Joe
Old Mar 10, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, OH, Greenville
Joined Oct 2009
161 Posts
Joe, I use a bungee to launch..and unfrotunately, I dont have a working camera at this time but hope to have one in a couple of weeks , so will try to get some video. Thanks for the comments..
Wayne
orvie6 is offline Find More Posts by orvie6
Old Apr 03, 2013, 03:10 AM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
well a friend of mine has been asking me to build him a jet for awhile now, so I asked him if he cared what I built, he didnt care...just wanted me to build him one.
so I decided to build him a 50mm version of the Phantom, basicly a direct scale down of the 70mm version, then slightly redrew the layering to do away with the formers. the wing is still three layers and dont look too bad. after redrawing I thought I kinda might like one that size myself....so I built two simultaneously (that'ld be "at the same time" for you folks in the Crystal River region of Florida )
anyhow they are 22" WS and I am gonna stuff one of my 7800KV fans in em to see how she goes with the lite 2s 1000mah packs...should be screamers, they came out very lite at about 3oz each bare frame, so it should put them at 9-10oz's AUW
here is a couple pics of the empty airframes, I hope to get the "make it go" stuff in by Thursday and maiden both this weekend. while doing these I had a flash of an idea on a way to build an F-16 using the "box frame" method and I been jones'in to get it drawn up and going....now that these are out of the way I can start drawing up the plans

Joe
Old Apr 03, 2013, 08:29 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
674 Posts
ooooh nice - awaiting plans for the little 'un
awmeade is offline Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Apr 03, 2013, 01:25 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,599 Posts
Great looking F-4s. If you can't love F-4s, you can't love anything.
Like the A-7s too!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
oh yeah!
just got back from doing the maiden on my 50mm Phantom, it is very windy out today goes from about a steady 8mph to 20mph in intermitent gusts...was contemplating on waiting for less windy conditions but decided "what the hey"
even as windy as it is it flew awesome CG was spot on and cut right into and through the wind, took a few bumps hitting stiff crosswinds in a couple of the turns but took it amazingly well, was just going to limit the flight to a couple laps, but was flying so good I just kept going for a good 3-3 1/2 min run, very happy with how she flies, just like the big one

Joe

ps sorry no video this time, maybe next weekend I'll get my daughter to shoot some.
Old Apr 08, 2013, 01:11 PM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,453 Posts
Joe, I might have missed it, but are you hand launching this ?

Woody
W. X. Davis is online now Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Apr 08, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. X. Davis View Post
Joe, I might have missed it, but are you hand launching this ?

Woody
yep, both the 70mm and 50mm Phantoms are hand launchers, and both do it nicely

Joe
Old Apr 09, 2013, 05:19 AM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
here is the fan set-up I am using in the 50mm Phantom and the Mig-17, it is the 7800KV Tacon car motor sold by HobbyPartz for $9.50, mated to the stock 50mm SkyAngels 5 blade fan sold by BananaHobby for $1.90. you'll need a #28 drill, some 1/8th" pushrod tubing, some vicegrips, and some 5min epoxy.
first drill the rotor out starting from the front using the vicegrips to hold the drill, it drills real easy and the drill will self center as it goes but do try to keep it straight as possible till it gets going, I have done several of these and all came out perfect just doing them by hand. next you need to cut about 2" or so pushrod tube, the tube fits fairly loosely so dont freak out...you want it that way so you can get the epoxy in there, mix the epoxy and spread it on the tube evenly, slide the tube in and rotate it around to spread it evenly, let about a 1/2" or so protrude out the bottom and add a bit more epoxy and pull it back through while rotating the tube, but stop when you have about an 1/8" still sticking out the bottom, the little bit sticking out will keep you from pushing the rotor on so far that it hits the mounting screw heads. now mount the motor into the fan housing, use the screws that came with the fan but you'll need to shorten them by an 1/8" with a file so they dont chew into the windings. when the epoxy is good and set you can push the rotor onto the shaft, goes on very tight. what you wind up with is a fan that can use a 2cell 1000mah pack
I wouldnt recommend trying a 3cell on this motor, if the motor dont burn the fan will probably blow up
anyhow I thought I would show how I put these together in case anyone out there wants to give it a go, works awesome for a nice lite fast jet, not a pylon racer just a good all around set-up, both the Mig and Phantom will easily stay in the air at just under half throttle, and move out nicely at WOT, great "park jet" fan.

the last few fans I've built I have started using sand paper to scratch the motor shaft up some and them smear a very lite film of 5min epoxy onto the shaft before pushing the rotor on, have not had a rotor come off,...just started doing it as added strength.

here are some pics of the assembly and of the painted Phantom

Joe
Last edited by sloperjoe; May 29, 2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2013, 07:03 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe View Post
..so I built two simultaneously (that'ld be "at the same time" for you folks in the Crystal River region of Florida )

Joe
Hey hey Y'all, we does know what's that means!,. Good to see ya back on this thread Joe. I liked your little fan mod,, you don't use anything to attach the fan to the motor? Would think it would slip after abit.. Cool stuff! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Apr 09, 2013, 02:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
Hey hey Y'all, we does know what's that means!,. Good to see ya back on this thread Joe. I liked your little fan mod,, you don't use anything to attach the fan to the motor? Would think it would slip after abit.. Cool stuff! W
hey Walt,
the pushrod tube fits very very tight and once on its on pretty much permanently, I have not had one come off yet, and have done a few of them.
on one I was playing with the settings on the radio and inadvertently switched the throttle setting to reverse causing an instant full throttle start while it was laying on the table....the fan sucked up a pencil and it exploded quite spectacularly, I was clear of the shrapnel so I didn't get hit but it did scare the out a me, to replace the rotor I had to trash the shroud so I could pry the hub off with a screw driver...I have no doubt that the set-up will hold up....as long as it doesn't suck up rocks or what not

Joe
Old May 12, 2013, 12:11 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade View Post
ooooh nice - awaiting plans for the little 'un :d
+1
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2013, 06:17 PM
Newton, Ks.
Joined Feb 2004
239 Posts
Joe, I scaled the plans at 75%.to do a 50mm. Comes in a little over 23" think that will work ok. Thx.....Howard
Ks.jetflyer is online now Find More Posts by Ks.jetflyer
Last edited by Ks.jetflyer; Sep 06, 2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling