SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:42 AM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,363 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Probably the hardest part was making the fabric template for the transition and nozzle section. When you use bias fabric though, it can stretch and deform to make up for minor errors.

So I put the duct over the exhaust on my big shop vac to see how it looked, and you know what -- Walt and Joe -- you guys are right, this might just be strong enough! I'm sure the EDF will pump out more air, but the vac exhaust didn't faze it at all. On the other hand, I'm sure the intake side would crush it instantly. Very interesting!
BillO is offline Find More Posts by BillO
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:56 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Bill,
I am sure someone with more knowledge of physics than I could explain it, but the air pushing on the exhaust side ducting can be contained with even a simple plastic tube rolled from transparancy. Flimsy and easy to crush, but hard to expand to failure.

But the intake ducting made the same way will collapse very easy and needs to be much stronger to prevent failure. So I add the extra attention and materials to the intake which BTW usually needs the extra weight up front anyway. So I don't worry too much on why and just do what others have proven is needed to make things work.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:43 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,101 Posts
ok joe i just got my templates cut out and construction is comencing. I will be using the change sun 10 blade fan motor and batts are undecided as of now. I'm also going to try to do a full flying stab and ailerons. Now i wont be doing qny ducting on this ut i am thinking about a couple foam cups for burner nozzles. Anyways will post picsw when i have something to show. Phil
mrshea is online now Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:50 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Cool Phil,, I'll be watching!! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts

Joe
sloperjoe is online now Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
692 Posts
BillO, your ducting looks nice, good job What motor are you running in the Extreme fan unit? If you already mentioned it I did not see it. I took a look at them on line, they sure have a nice sound!, Greg (Lt599)
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:03 AM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,363 Posts
Thanks Greg! The motor is a HET Typhoon for 4S, though the Extreme RC website doesn't say exactly which one. It's supposed to consume about 900 watts.
BillO is offline Find More Posts by BillO
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, OH, Greenville
Joined Oct 2009
163 Posts
Twin 50mm version

Hello guys,
I have been following this thread for some time and decided to build one of these things. I have been building in foam for the past few years and decided to try this method of construction..
Instead of useing the dollar tree foam, I was able to aquire a box of the ModelPlaneFoam while at the JR indoor meet in Columbus, Ohio a few weeks ago..This is a domestic replacement for Depron..check out thier website at.. ModelPlaneFoam.com.
Anyway..I did build a 70mm version as orginally presented..and it flew great. I showed it to my flying buddy and he wanted one...only he wondered if I could put two 50mm fans in it.. Looking at the plans and all the dimensions, I figured it would be no problem..
Sorry for no 'build log' of this version..but I essentually just made a bulkhead to fit the two fans side by side where the original 70mm fit.. I made the intakes from dollar tree foam rolled and placed from the intake to the fans and the exhaust is rolled card stock.. nothing fancy.. It is powered by a 4s 2200 SkyLipo and it first flew on Thanksgiving Day.. It was radar clocked at over 75 MPH...and that was before final trim and 'cleaning up' a little.. also it was unpainted foam..so a finish will make it smoother..
Enclosed are some pictures of the plane..I am still in the process of doing the paint scheme..so forgive the 'nakedness' of the asslemled model..
Thanks Joe for a great design and its 'flexibility' to use different power systems.
I am also in the process of building a 120% version (36 inch span) twin 64mm version..with Dynam retracts.. ( power system and gear from a crashed Dynam TurboJet!!). Will keep you posted on its progress..
orvie6 is offline Find More Posts by orvie6
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:20 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
oh man! that is cool! I almost did the first version as a twin 50mm, then decided to do the 70mm, absolutely post pics of your twin 64mm when you get it done, build pics would be great too!
I've been wondering if anyone out there was building the Phantom
glad you like it, I had fun designing it, I still have mine, little dinged here and there but still flies awesome!

keep us posted

Joe
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, OH, Greenville
Joined Oct 2009
163 Posts
Finished

The other day I posted some pictures of my twin 50mm Phantom.. Well, today I have it finished painted and detailed...There are NO professional decals on this plane.. all was hand painted or made with colored electrical tape! Here are a few pics.. Hope you guys like it.
Wayne
orvie6 is offline Find More Posts by orvie6
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
that looks sweet! really nice job!

Joe
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:59 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Wayne, looks really great! W.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:09 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Oct 2010
42 Posts
Printing out the plans

Joe your plane looks great! I have downloaded the plans, but I don't know how to print out a 34in x 30in PDF on my little 8.5in x 11in printer.

Any ideas?

thanks for the help!
TX Flyboy is offline Find More Posts by TX Flyboy
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:31 AM
Joined Mar 2012
740 Posts
Kinkos,
I had them scanned at FedEx/Kinkos, I just googled it and you have like 10-15 Kinkos in your area, might cost you $7 per sheet to have them pint it, but dont quote me on it.

Joe
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:03 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Hope this makes sense.

You should be able to down load Adobe Reader (I am still using version 10, which is Adobe Reader X) Open the pdf file of the blueprint you want to print with that, and before you go to print, pick "Tile only large files", and check off the "add cut marks" box function.

Check with print preview before printing and it should show the file as a tiled printout. Many pages print out, then you align them one at a time using tape and glue stick to assemble a large blueprint.

Free (except for your ink and paper), time consuming, but you can have it right away without leaving home.
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Last edited by Freddie B; Jan 09, 2013 at 08:22 AM.