HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:47 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Build Log
Phantom 70mm PLANS/ 50mm PLANS added to first post: )

howdy all,
will be starting a new build...well rebuild... of my F-4 Phantom. I have already built and flown this plane and will build one more with a few modifications to the plans.
I will start with modifying my original set of plans and redraw them as nicely as possible (witch I have already started on). anyhow this plane flies awesome, I really love it, unfortunately it did get kinda beat up trying to figure out the best control settings. she is tailarons only and are not full flying but hinged with 2" of movable surface per stab...so it has plenty of control. she flies best with 35% on the elevators and 55% on the roll. so now thats all figured out I want to build one more and hopefully improved version. the build for the first/current version is posted on my blog. but I will try to keep a detailed step by step here on the new one. there is nothing real complicated here just $tree foam cut and glued and sanded.... emphasis on sanded .

here are the specs:
30"wing span
41" length
70mm fan
60 amp esc
two 9grm servos
1800 4s lipos
AUW 26-28oz's
rated thrust 42oz's

the fan unit is the Detrum 70mm combo package from HobbyPartz. as you may know they come with a 60amp esc, and four 9grm servos. and is perfect for this park jet foamy. these units are inexpensive and I am pretty impressed with the performance. I have read somewhere that some folks have gone 5s lipos with these units..I havent tried it...I fly at the local school yard so 4s is plenty for me.

anyhow here is a vid of the current Phantom and a couple pics
oh yeah I should add that after the flight on the vid my 1800 4s pack still read 15.7 volts when put on the charger for topping off witch surprised me, thought for sure it would have been lower than that...2 more min in the air...?

phantom2 (3 min 49 sec)
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Sep 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:39 AM
Deutschland, HE, Schlangenbad
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
im in
SebastianG. is online now Find More Posts by SebastianG.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:34 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Hi joe! A great start on the thread!!! This should be a good build! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts

a few pics of the plans being revised, tracing the original outlines and inking them up. should be about done tonight after I get home from work.

Joe
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:49 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
673 Posts
I have 3 of the Detrum 70mm combos. On a 5s 2200 I get 960 watts at 56 amps. That would really scoot your Phantom! I have never had one but this is a great looking build. Will be watchin.
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:38 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
I am temped to try a 5s pack but this Phantom was mainly designed as a park jet, and I was more concerned with keeping the AUW as low as possible, sure would be fun to see, after I post the plans maybe one of you guys can build one with some juice to it I remember someone wrote on HobbyPartz customer feedback that these units are great on 4s, but really come alive on 5s...I believe it too, I had one flubbed launch where I gave it too much throttle, threw it hard at too high an angle and the thing went out and up to about 20-25 feet and started to stall out...I hit full throttle and she just hung there in a tail stand for several seconds then slowly came over inverted where i applied down elevator and flew inverted till I had enough airspeed to roll it back over... I have this on video...very embarrassing launch but I'll post the sequence just to show what just 4s can do in one of these units, and some giggles... my daughters sure were laughing...5s probably would have just vertical bored out..ok let me find it...

ok here it is, enjoy

how not to launch (0 min 24 sec)
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:11 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,391 Posts
should have launched under hand trust me
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:37 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
oh well, what can I say, just more comfortable overhand..for me.

finished up the plans tonight and hope to draw out the parts templates tomorrow. and mabey cut the wings and get those started.

Joe
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:58 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Joe,,, that was some good pilot work there!!! Great save!!! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
hi ya Walt,
more luck than skill, but thanks

Joe
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:12 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to do a foamy F4. Can't wait to see the build. I've been following some of your other builds and they're great. Subscribed!

Vic
vicentel is online now Find More Posts by vicentel
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:56 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
thanks Vic,
good news, we have a copy center service where I work and they can scan large size docs, will take the plans in to work with me and should have the plans and the parts templates posted by this time tomorrow night hadnt even tought to ask those guys till today...duh...I can get em scanned at work...for free no less. now that problem is solved I can start cutting. if any of you build one post your pics and or videos here, I would like to see them

Joe
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
all done, there will be 3 sheets and I tried to label everything that I could think of...now if my spelling on the plans anywhere is wrong its because the spell checker feature on my pen is not functioning I think the batteries are dead

Joe
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:51 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
937 Posts
Wow Joe, what a great start. I have always had a sweet spot for the F4. Looking forward to your build. I can't tell from the pics, it looks like it has a bit of an airfoil.
Does it have a flat plate wing or is there an airfoil?

Mike
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Hi Mike,
yes it has an airfoil, the wing is 3 layers of depapered $tree foam board laminated together with your favorite spray adhesive (I use Loktite 200 but 3M-77 is just fine too) , then using the guide lines on the plans it gets bevel sanded, then simply round off the bevels to have an airfoil section. works awesome and is easy to do.

okay the plans are now HERE!
Last edited by sloperjoe; Jul 12, 2012 at 02:51 AM.