SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:45 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,226 Posts
Discussion
Charging from one 80 Ah 12 volt Pb battery at the time or two in series?

Hi,

Is it any advantage as far as getting more Ah out of source Pb 12 volt batteries if using two in series to get 24 volt and double Ah to charge from
compared to using one battery until it is drained and then next Pb battery until that is drained also?

I was thinking about the low voltage alarm that the charger announce - could it be that it is possible to squeeze more charging cycles when using two Pb in series since low voltage alarm shold not be there so early (I assume)?

I have two 80 Ah 12 volt Pb (lead) marine batteries at the field to charge with.
My charger is a Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO3 charger (2 x 1S-7S, 20A max, 1000W) and it can handle up to 28 volt input.
I mostly charge 6 cell 5200 mAh Lipo at the field.

So far I charge with one Pb battery, then when it is empty (charger complain about low voltage) I get the second Pb battery and continue to charge with that.

regards,
Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Jun 25, 2012 at 02:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:26 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,139 Posts
If yours is a 1000W charger, that's 83A at 12 Volt input, but only 41.6A at 24 Volt input, so two in series will last longer than the one. However, if you use 2 x 12V batteries, one after the other, then there should be little to no difference in energy available.
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:58 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,226 Posts
GordonTarling,

Thanks for answer.
I think I will have to test to see if the low voltage warning from charger will let me drain the 2x12 volt Pb batteries in series little more then I use one battery and then next battery.
I'm not sure how much a 12 volt Pb battery should be drained to not harm it's life but I think 30% (12 - 11.9 volt) left should be OK.

12,8 volt = 100%

12,5 volt = 75%
12,2 volt = 50%

11,9 volt = 25%

11,6 volt = 0%
(all at room temperature)

/Bo
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:49 AM
Netherlands
Joined Oct 2010
124 Posts
The high the current that you draw from a battery the lower the capacity you will get from your battery. So put them in serie and you will get more capacity from them. If the requested power is the same.

Bart,
dirtyballs is offline Find More Posts by dirtyballs
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:31 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
So far I charge with one Pb battery, then when it is empty (charger complain about low voltage) I get the second Pb battery and continue to charge with that.
Depending what your low voltage warning is at you may be damaging your battery and reducing your capacity further. I would double check the data sheet for your battery to see how low it should be discharged.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:43 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
I would think from an efficiency stand point 24V (wiring the 2 in series) would be a way better way to use Pb batteries, if the chager work on 24V, which your does.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:04 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
980 Posts
Quote:
GordonTarling,

Thanks for answer.
I think I will have to test to see if the low voltage warning from charger will let me drain the 2x12 volt Pb batteries in series little more then I use one battery and then next battery.
I'm not sure how much a 12 volt Pb battery should be drained to not harm it's life but I think 30% (12 - 11.9 volt) left should be OK.

12,8 volt = 100%

12,5 volt = 75%
12,2 volt = 50%

11,9 volt = 25%

11,6 volt = 0%
(all at room temperature)

/Bo
AFAIK, if it is an AUTOMOBILE battey it is best not to use more than 25% of capacity another words, leave 75% of capacity in the battery

if it is a DEEP CYCLE(like a marine deep cycle) then you can use up to 50% of capacity.

Michael (if your not fryin, your not tryin!)
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,226 Posts
Hi,

It is deep cycle Pb batteries I have but it is probably best to not drain them below 50% of capacity in the long run but maybe down to 30% ocassionally.

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Jun 25, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:15 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

It is deep cycle Pb batteries I have but it is probably best to not drain them below 50% of capacity in the long run but maybe down to 30% ocassionally.

/Bo
You mean down by 30% to 70%?

If you have 2, I sure would wire them together.
You will at least be able tto charge at twice the rate.
Your charger is limited with only 12V input.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:13 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,226 Posts
I mean so about 30% of capacity is left in the Pb source battery.
Yes I know that with 24 volt as input to my charger I can charge with more amp and get the LiPo packs charged faster but I have today 7 amp set on each channel in the charger and that is fast enough for me, it let me fly more or less continous with my 3 LiPo packs 6 cell 5200 mAh when charging on the two channels at the same time. So I basically do not need to be able to use more amp when charing, just wanted to maybe squeeze out some more Ah when using the Pb batteries in series and get 24 volt as input to charger and that way avoid the low voltage warning (that perhaps is little early with just one Pb at the time).

/Bo
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:18 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,163 Posts
Grimbeaver gave you some good advice; an easy way to ruin any Pb battery is to deep discharge it. Try to NEVER let it drop down below 11.9 volts under load. Generally, running the two 12 volt batteries in parallel will give you the most milliampere hours out when using a charger designed to use a 12 volt source and will be much easier on the 12 volt batteries.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney