HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Do you think a chief designer of Radio Control plane can design and build real plane?
Yes 21 77.78%
No. 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by jcervantes11, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:44 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
882 Posts
and here is an article about the JN1.......

http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/arti...08_mystery.asp

I believe Flying Models did a build article on the model.....but I think Jim Peris had designed originally RC. Maybe I am wrong........I'll have to read the link that I posted.
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:52 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
(Sarcastically oversimplified, just in case you can't tell)
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Feb 16, 2014, 03:38 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,624 Posts
Er.... no
Kits do comply to some basic safety checks but its "do it on your own risk"
If it's something made to be sold commercialy that carries people then imagine what lenghts you would go to so the aircraft wont fail.
the average joe can "design" a balsa aircraft with maybe some hand calcs on the back of a Mcdonalds receipt

African aircraft test flight (3 min 28 sec)
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Feb 19, 2014, 07:04 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
snip
Aye. There's a difference between between buliding a 'plane' that can get a human off of the ground, and an aircraft that can fly people safely. I'm pretty sure many modelers can achieve the former. The latter is much more difficult, and would be hard to achieve without some prior knowledge of full-scale aviation.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:51 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
Aye. There's a difference between between buliding a 'plane' that can get a human off of the ground, and an aircraft that can fly people safely. I'm pretty sure many modelers can achieve the former. The latter is much more difficult, and would be hard to achieve without some prior knowledge of full-scale aviation.
I don't believe its knowledge of "full scale" aviation per se ,....all of our models have full scale as basis one way or the other ,whether it be 1/4 scale ...or smaller .1/16 is close to what many of us call park flyers and 1/32 are the mini/micro scale.

the primary issue regarding full sized ,people carrying aircraft is mostly about safety and a whole bunch of government oversight and regulations relating to safety.

Given sufficient time ,money and resources ,many of us could build a man carrying airframe from exotic lightweight materials,a sufficiently large brushless motor with li-pos ...even use the same fly -by-wire/wireless control systems we presently use in our models .
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Mar 14, 2014, 05:32 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
I don't believe its knowledge of "full scale" aviation per se ,....all of our models have full scale as basis one way or the other ,whether it be 1/4 scale ...or smaller .1/16 is close to what many of us call park flyers and 1/32 are the mini/micro scale.

the primary issue regarding full sized ,people carrying aircraft is mostly about safety and a whole bunch of government oversight and regulations relating to safety.

Given sufficient time ,money and resources ,many of us could build a man carrying airframe from exotic lightweight materials,a sufficiently large brushless motor with li-pos ...even use the same fly -by-wire/wireless control systems we presently use in our models .
I work in the aviation industry. Simply putting it you have no idea whats involved to make a state of the art bus that fly safe at 35k feet, the amount of manwork for designing not only structure but suporting equipment, engines, life support and many more I can't even begin to name here.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 07:13 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
I work in the aviation industry. Simply putting it you have no idea whats involved to make a state of the art bus that fly safe at 35k feet, the amount of manwork for designing not only structure but suporting equipment, engines, life support and many more I can't even begin to name here.
Who said anything about designing a "state of the art"flying bus capable of being flown at 35 k?the op's question said a "real" airplane .I read that question to mean one capable of carry one or more people aloft .Having piloted many aircraft from aluminium tube and fabric ultralites thru a cessna 310 ,I say yes its possible a designer of model planes might be capable of designing and building a full sized aircraft . ....if I recall history correctly ,didn't the Wright brothers start out with models of their prototype prior to attempting flight in a full sized plane ?
Last edited by daddiozz; Mar 14, 2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
Who said anything about designing a "state of the art"flying bus capable of being flown at 35 k?the op's question said a "real" airplane .I read that question to mean one capable of carry one or more people aloft .Having piloted many aircraft from aluminium tube and fabric ultralites thru a cessna 310 ,I say yes its possible a designer of model planes might be capable of designing and building a full sized aircraft . ....if I recall history correctly ,didn't the Wright brothers start out with models of their prototype prior to attempting flight in a full sized plane ?
well, a "simple" aircraft requires people working together with knowledge of aeronautics, propulsion, dynamics (forces) and stress (not mentioning electronic equipment) and designers to do the models, CAD/detail work. Even if engineering fundamentals is basically maths and physics IMO there is no engineer that can be an expert in all these fields. Thus it is impossible for one single person to be able to "design" a flying people carrier on his own.

the wright brothers were excellent engineers but people like them are the exception to the norm.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:29 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
well, a "simple" aircraft requires people working together with knowledge of aeronautics, propulsion, dynamics (forces) and stress (not mentioning electronic equipment) and designers to do the models, CAD/detail work. Even if engineering fundamentals is basically maths and physics IMO there is no engineer that can be an expert in all these fields. Thus it is impossible for one single person to be able to "design" a flying people carrier on his own.

the wright brothers were excellent engineers but people like them are the exception to the norm.
The Wright brothers were a couple of bicycle mechanics with no formal knowledge or training in aeronautical engineering as the field largely did not exist yet .Yet they managed to build the first airplane from scatch and fly thru the air with it .How much moreso can budding engineer wannabees with access to the full knowledge of every facet of aernautical engineering via the world wide web,do so?It drives you nutz that someone without formalised training might be capable of doing something you yourself may be incapable of doing on your own.So you just dismiss the entire endeavor as impossible .

Why must that design be more complicated than say a Piper Cub or a Benson Gyrocopter ,or even a motorised parachute ?THe OP asked whether a person could design a real airplane . You allude , that airplane must be the next replacement for the Dreamliner or the SST in order to qualfy as being "real".You sound just like the snobs I ran into at a flying club I attempted to join ,insisting my electric planes weren't "real" modelplanes unless they were IC powered and built from scratch..
Last edited by daddiozz; Mar 15, 2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 06:08 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,624 Posts
this is going nowhere. the question is "Do you think... bla bla bla.." my answer to the question is an emphatic no!
the era of the Wright brothers was during the industrial evolution. I believe civilization has progressed a bit from then. Learning from past experience makes aircraft safer even if they are microlights or a jumbo jet. If the aircraft is provided as finished product to customers, then there is no way in hell one can get away with a single person doing all work required to develop the aircraft. If this is passed on as a kit and DYI, then I don't know... I buy my rc model planes and I fly them to their limits but I definitely aint prepared to make one plane big enough to sit and fly in it.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 11:11 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Quote:
If the aircraft is provided as finished product to customers
I think I found the disconnect.

Am I confident that most modelers can design a production plane to sell to a consumer? Heck no.

Could I design and build a flying machine that can float a human payload 5 feet above a wheat field for a few minutes, provided I'm wearing full crash safety gear? I'd perhaps need two attempts, but yeah. I bet many modelers could. These danish guys got fairly close.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 11:31 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
this is going nowhere. the question is "Do you think... bla bla bla.." my answer to the question is an emphatic no!
the era of the Wright brothers was during the industrial evolution. I believe civilization has progressed a bit from then. Learning from past experience makes aircraft safer even if they are microlights or a jumbo jet. If the aircraft is provided as finished product to customers, then there is no way in hell one can get away with a single person doing all work required to develop the aircraft. .................................................. .................................................. .......... but I definitely aint prepared to make one plane big enough to sit and fly in it.
Theres the whole crux of the matter from your perspective!..You "aint "prepared to make one ,so therefor its impossible to do so ,what an ego !!!
Last edited by daddiozz; Mar 16, 2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 11:44 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
I think I found the disconnect.

Am I confident that most modelers can design a production plane to sell to a consumer? Heck no.

Could I design and build a flying machine that can float a human payload 5 feet above a wheat field for a few minutes, provided I'm wearing full crash safety gear? I'd perhaps need two attempts, but yeah. I bet many modelers could. These danish guys got fairly close.
No disconnect ,the other guy above seems hung up on, insisting the plane thus created must be a "state of the art"regular production model suitable for sell to consumers .Thats not what the OP asked.Could a designer of r/c model planes also design a full sized airplane .?Several others have answered to the affirmative ,the only negatives tend to approach the issue from the more practical considerations of actually building one .In some cases such as yours above with qualifiers ..In Ck's case ,it must be "state of the art"....in yours ,it must be a production model ready for sale

A simple yes or no is sufficient .
Last edited by daddiozz; Mar 16, 2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 07:53 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,267 Posts
One of our own... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2084878
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Mar 17, 2014, 09:22 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
Well its impressive, this as well

SD-1 Minisport homebuilt ultralight aircraft (5 min 11 sec)

However they are DIY planes (not comercial) and although I wouldn't make one myself however, let's leave it to rest will we? The thread above is quite interesting, far more interesting than arguing