HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:44 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
Discussion
KDS Innova 450QS

Has anyone tried flying the KDS Innova 450QS? It seems to be quite a good deal. I can get the RTF version from a local hobby shop for approx. USD 233, which includes important components like the transmitter and battery.

Manufacturer product page: http://www.kdsmodel.com/index.php/site/products/id/22

Specifications
BL motor: 3500KV
BL ESC: 40 A
Servos: 4 x KDS 9g digital servos
Head hold and dual rate gyro: KDS820
Li-Po: 11.1V 2200mAh 20C
Charger: KDS-3S
Transmitter: 2.4Ghz K-7XII ( with LCD display)
Packaging: Color paper box
Box size: 670 x 230x 290mm

FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
Hi fyreSG, I am looking at this heli as well, I presume you already tried this heli. Can I have some feedback from you? I'm okay with everything except the plastics on the body, head and tail. Your feedback is much appreciated.
Producer is offline Find More Posts by Producer
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
My views

Are you new to such helicopters? If you are a newbie looking for a training 450-size helicopter, then this is not recommended. I practised on simulators and 4CH FP helicopters before I progressed to this helicopter.

The problem with it is the plastic parts - specifically the swashplate, blade holders, and tail assembly. Newbies like me tend to crash the helicopter and these plastic parts are very unforgiving. If the parts had been made of metal, I'd be able to spend more time flying than waiting for parts and then performing the repairs.

At the start, the cost of the helicopter seems low. But if you factor in the cost of replacement parts, the time you spend waiting for them and effort spent on repairs, you may realize a more expensive model is a better choice.

Other than cost, the main problem I have with the helicopter is its quality. The plastic tail assembly is flimsy. The helicopter vibrates a lot and troubleshooting is needed. If I am experienced, then this may not be a challenge; but I'm not. I had a hard time determining the nasty vibrations. The vibrations confuse the gyro causing the tail to drift unpredictably. This is extremely bad for a newbie who is practising tail-in hovers. I spend most of the time fighting the tail drift and sudden wags, which took away the fun of flying it. It's not caused by a wrong gyro gain - I've gotten experienced pilots to fly it, fiddled with the gyro gain, and they unanimously said the helicopter should not behave like that.

On one hand, a newbie is reluctant to invest significant chunk of cash on an expensive helicopter as he is unsure if he likes the hobby. On the other hand, getting an inferior, cheap helicopter to start off the hobby makes learning harder, takes away the fun, and discourages the newbie in picking up the hobby.

I should have gotten a better helicopter. Now, it is in a shop pending repairs. Something is really wrong with the gyro and/or tail server as the helicopter spins on the ground at 40% throttle. It became like this for no apparent reason.

I've posted a few threads in this forum about this helicopter. You may want to read them too.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
Hei, thanks for your input on this. Matters a lot to me. Am thinking of copterx 450. Any reviews on it?
Producer is offline Find More Posts by Producer
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:47 AM
Tuguegarao City Philippines
Joined Sep 2012
375 Posts
im still looking at this heli despite of its many cons
xtian3188 is offline Find More Posts by xtian3188
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:38 PM
United States, OH, Newcomerstown
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
I bought this heli about a month ago. Even though it has plastic parts they are very durable. And this thing has POWER at 100 % throttle. only problem i ever had with it in 16 flights so far is one of the fiberglass blades broke off at the root. destroying the rotor head.
here are some of my flight video's of the 450 qs

Mathew Flying His NEW KDS450 Chopper 3D (2 min 29 sec)

Mathew flying His KDS 450 in some 3D Flight (3 min 0 sec)

a really stable heli. and i have crashed heli's with aluminum parts. they don't fare that well either.
silverfoxblade is offline Find More Posts by silverfoxblade
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:49 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
silverfoxblade, are you using the "KDS 9G servo" as your 450QS tail? Does it hold well?

I'm looking for replacement metal gear servos for the cyclic. Any recommendations?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
yes i was using all stock parts in those videos.
stock it comes with the 9g plastic geared servos on all the cyclic and tail.
out of the box it just held alright in wind. turns out i still had some travel left on the tail pitch slider. adjusted the gyro and the tail holds pretty darn good.
it does wag a lil. but i've only had it blow out 90 degrees in 15mph winds while doing
very hard pitch pumps.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
i've actually ordered the kds 290 metal gear servos for my rebuild.
I'll let you know if they improve the response.
just watch the fiberglass blades. I don't know, maybe i was just unlucky, or was just pushing it too hard. blade shot off on the ground during spoolup. first time i've ever seen that.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:46 AM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
This is my Phoenix sim blade 450 variant. Darn close to how my kds 450qs fly's. only real difference is the robotic tail hold of the sim.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:03 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Kds450sv

Hi,

You should get the KDS450SV as most of the parts are made of durable alloy materials. I have several crashes (minor, such as broken main blades, tail boom, tail blade and holder) on this heli, and after replacement, it still can hover.
samhklee is offline Find More Posts by samhklee
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:12 AM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
After flying a walkera lama 400d like an expert i decide to buy a KDS 450QS LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT, NOW I HATE IT , MINE IS A TRASH, it claimed it was for beginners.
I am from Puerto Rico and i need to fly always on wind.
I did buy mine at rccarmax, first flight never occured.
KDS 450qs never elevated, start spinning like crazy.
Plastic servos damages, and something rare in the tail.
I did claim to rccarmax and after a lot of email fihting for the return and refund I Accepted that they send me new gyro and new 2 servos and it was the big error in my life.
I upgraded servos to metal gear KDS N290, ALL SERVOS THE SAME
Installed them and still spinning, I notice heli turns to left but not to right side
changed the gyro and nothing happened.
Now i spent 344.00 in the heli with a lot of spare parts, spend in a 6 KDS N290 servos and in 1 KDS 300 servo that is in my way.
I can not correct the problem and I do not find anything to do to correct it.
I also tight the drive belt and nothing.
Problem will bbe in the transmitter???? or in the heli???

With the money i send in this heli i would buy a good quality heli

Hate KDS 450qs TRASH HELI

The fllowing was the answer from kds support:
"Hello
Sorry for the later reply ...
Problem:
KDS IS SPINNING COUNTERCLOCKWISE UNTROLLABLE --- This is lock tail is not enough, please check the helicopter tail units and transmitter parameters .
PS : KDS 450QS is my company research and development for beginners (training),
Suggestion: according to the need can promote configuration ,
The servos replace :
Pls replace the tail servo for N290 or N590 only , Then flight will be perfect
If you Swash plate servos used N290 Digital Metal Gear ,Pls change the Tail servo for N590 Servo ,Thanks .
With best regards"

i need help
miguelsanta is offline Find More Posts by miguelsanta
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:55 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
Please find someone to explain / teach you the procedure to perform TAIL SETUP. Do not blame the heli because you do not know how to set it up. It does NOT work out of the box. It is not a toy. It is NOT easy to set it up correctly. It is normal to crash it because you did not set it up properly.

I can't explain to you in your language (Spanish? Portugeuse?) so please find experts in your neighborhood to help you examine the heli and adjust it. It's a complicated process. It is sensitive to settings and it must be set up properly before flight.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
FyreSG
this is a forum to experience from beginners to expert
that was my experience, those are the facts

(Spanish? Portugeuse?) do not yoke on other peoples language, do you speak your language perfect?? I am sure yo dont. that is not a good talking
are you a child or a man?
thaks for your reply , but it did not help.
if you can not help in anything , better to dont say anything and keep quiet
miguelsanta is offline Find More Posts by miguelsanta
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
You are very rude. You have misunderstood me and then you behave like a crazy person. Don't tell me to go away or keep quiet. You came into MY thread to ask a question! I am just telling you that I can't explain to you in your native language. I can only explain in English, and I don't think it will be useful. I been through tail setup and I think it is very difficult for a beginner. I read many articles and watched many videos, but I didn't really understand the procedure completely, until I found someone to teach me in real life.

It is easier to get someone to see the problem and explain to you what's wrong with your heli. If you do not have anyone to help you, then post some photos or videos.

I have said it earlier and will say it again, you need to perform tail setup. If you want to learn it yourself, read this English article: http://www.rcheliwiki.com/Tail_setup You can search for other articles to learn and perform tail setup. If you do not want to help yourself, nobody can help you.

Tell me, can you understand tail setup? Can you do it? If you can, that's good for you. Your problem is fixed.