HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:47 PM
The Helinator. "AL BE FLYING"
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
Discussion
My first v911 Flight - impressed.

I thought it would be as erratic as my Xieda 9958s......nope. Smooth right out of the box. Bit of trimming needed but otherwise very smooth. I was very impressed. Coming from a Blade MCX2, this is a great step to learn and enjoy outdoor, 4ch, fixed pitch, single blade flight

I would not recommend this as a 1st heli to learn on as it is very fast and you need to learn muscle memory to recover. The best way to learn muscle mem is on the MCX2.

I might now just skip the 120SR and get a 450 to progress

......need to bind to my DX6i!!!!!!!!! Aaaaargh!!!!
sroc3 is offline Find More Posts by sroc3
Last edited by sroc3; Jun 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined May 2012
60 Posts
I totally agree with both points. I found the V911 to be much more stable once you get it off the ground. And, my MCX2 is still my favorite flyer, primarily because it can fly indoors any time.
Apparently you are feeling pretty confident, but I personally am now enjoying the challenge of both the SR120 and the Novus 200FP. Basically what I am doing is attempting to reduce the "big copter" intimidation factor by learning to fly incrimently larger copters in sequence from the small to the large. So far I'm feeling that it's working
LOSTVENTURE is offline Find More Posts by LOSTVENTURE
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:20 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Now it is 2x tons of fun.

Remember that the 120SR is larger and remains valid as a stepping stone to CP. And I think you have a DX6i which will do for the 120SR what it does for the Blade MCX2.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Now it is 2x tons of fun.

Remember that the 120SR is larger and remains valid as a stepping stone to CP. And I think you have a DX6i which will do for the 120SR what it does for the Blade MCX2.
So, would you recommend getting the 120SR, then a SIM, then move on to CP?

Or since I have the v911, which I kinda see as a mini 120SR (just no DX6i), I can just use this then move on to SIM and CP?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroc3 View Post
So, would you recommend getting the 120SR, then a SIM, then move on to CP?

Or since I have the v911, which I kinda see as a mini 120SR (just no DX6i), I can just use this then move on to SIM and CP?
If you can fly all four orientations and FF, you should get a mCPX and a sim. Forget the 120SR.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:27 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
If you can fly all four orientations and FF, you should get a mCPX and a sim. Forget the 120SR.
sroc3 - Unfortunately for you, I think you and I are on the same page. That is, if you are having fun, then who cares what other people think.

I bought a Solo PRO 100 3G Flybarless 3D Mirco Helicopter and found out quickly that I could not fly it.

Your next helicopter should be a mCPx even if you can't "fly all four orientations and FF". Like me, you will also find out quickly that you can't fly it. However, it will be a safe introduction to CP and you won't buy something like a naughty 450 size if you can't fly the little CP first.

So, you back track and buy a $20 V911 BNF or two, because it is fun and a safe way to learn your way towards the mCPx. Every now and then you will try the mCPx again, find out what you don't know, and go back to the V911's for more safe fun learning. Eventually, you will try the mCPx and find out that you can fly it.

My main point is that once you buy a CP helicopter, there is no way you can justify buying another CP helicopter if you can't fly the first one.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Jun 25, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
sroc3 - Unfortunately for you, I think you and I are on the same page. That is, if you are having fun, then who cares what other people think.

I bought a Solo PRO 100 3G Flybarless 3D Mirco Helicopter and found out quickly that I could not fly it.

Your next helicopter should be a mCPx even if you can't "fly all four orientations and FF". Like me, you will also find out quickly that you can't fly it. However, it will be a safe introduction to CP and you won't buy something like a naughty 450 size if you can't fly the little CP first.

So, you back track and buy a $20 V911 BNF or two, because it is fun and a safe way to learn your way towards the mCPx. Every now and then you will try the mCPx again, find out what you don't know, and go back to the V911's for more safe fun learning. Eventually, you will try the mCPx and find out that you can fly it.

My main point is that once you buy a CP helicopter, there is no way you can justify buying another CP helicopter if you can't fly the first one.
HA! Great point Ribble! I'd love to get an MCPX because it is bindable with the DX6i as well :-) hehe......I guess I'm looking for an excuse to get a BIG, scale Firefox heli.....w/ retracts I just don't want to have to buy it and then only have the skill-set to stare it
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:17 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,379 Posts
The V911 is easier to fly than the 9958. The 9958 is a good bird and just requires more skill to fly. I had trouble in small area to learn on but went to bigger area . Then it behaved itself and had fun flying it. Going from a V911 to a 450 cp good luck. The 120 flys nice and is bigger, but your dime. Have fun and good luck.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:26 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,451 Posts
If you go to a 450 and continually crash and repair it you might become discouraged and give up on the hobby. Take it slow and have fun along the way to CP. Fun should be your primary goal.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined May 2012
60 Posts
I would like to clarify my heli purchase decisions, because it was not that long ago that I was in a position similar to the OP. I thought that I had the little FPs figured out (the MSR, 9958, and V911. I even had "first step" handling of the 120SR in hand. I was ready for something bigger. I bought the Blade SR. I took it home, read the manual, charged the battery, did the trim as specified, and ..... it was all down hill from there. The big bird was in the air for maybe four seconds. I had control for the first half second at best (I'm bragging about thinking I was in control for the first half second) and watched as those big beautiful wooden blades trimed my neighbors lawn on their way to the massive Mimosa tree in his front yard.
The only good news here is that the tree is fine.
After gathering all of the part that I could find, I had the SR repaired, and it now sits in a place of horor in my bedroom, waiting untill I once again decide that I'm ready to fly it.
I just thought that if my story could save somebody a few bucks, then all was not wasted.
LOSTVENTURE is offline Find More Posts by LOSTVENTURE
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSTVENTURE View Post
I would like to clarify my heli purchase decisions, because it was not that long ago that I was in a position similar to the OP. I thought that I had the little FPs figured out (the MSR, 9958, and V911. I even had "first step" handling of the 120SR in hand. I was ready for something bigger. I bought the Blade SR. I took it home, read the manual, charged the battery, did the trim as specified, and ..... it was all down hill from there. The big bird was in the air for maybe four seconds. I had control for the first half second at best (I'm bragging about thinking I was in control for the first half second) and watched as those big beautiful wooden blades trimed my neighbors lawn on their way to the massive Mimosa tree in his front yard.
The only good news here is that the tree is fine.
After gathering all of the part that I could find, I had the SR repaired, and it now sits in a place of horor in my bedroom, waiting untill I once again decide that I'm ready to fly it.
I just thought that if my story could save somebody a few bucks, then all was not wasted.
Very entertaining :-) Sorry to hear that though. But nonetheless, cracked me up in my office today!

I'm really leaning towards the MCPX v2 BNF and a SIM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:26 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,379 Posts
Lost, very good post. I'm sure this has happened to more than a few. Even after reading this I know someone is going to go from a small 4ch F/P and get a hot 6 ch bird and destroy it. Lots of moving parts that break real easy. Have a good friend who is a good flyer breaks something every time out. He can build a kit in an evening with mucho experience.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
I recently came up with a possible solution to my "Scale Heli" acquisition dilemma. Check this link to a new thread I created - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1679962
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:20 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
I'm quite surprised how quickly I've learned to fly, well, at least hover, my MCPX. I am having some minor issues turning it 180 degrees on FF and bringing it back to me, (So I am reversing it!), but apart from that it's not really much harder to fly than my 120SR was. I just dropped DR to 50, expo to 30, fly in idle up and don't run much negative pitch. Oh, and I've trained my throttle hold finger well!

If CP is your goal and you don't want to waste a lot of money on helis along the way, don't be scared of the MCPX
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad