HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by askman, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:53 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
Discussion
best prop for DJI 450/550 for AP, DJI motor and dynamic balancing in general.

well, back to more prop talk. :

on my last update on april 30s, I've posted about gemfan cf mix prop failure. it happened again in AP use. so, I will put notice that it is not recommended to be used. The gemfans have also released some CF copy of graupners. biggest issue from what I've been reported has been QC issues. for how much they cost, they seem to have issues with hub being not consistent.

so, which are the best props for F450/550? or AP in general? well, Graupners are still favored by many, but I am having great result from using zinger wooden props.

Zingers have lot of pusher prop available, and 8x5 and 9x5 combo has proven to work as well or possibly even better than graupners in windy situation. graupners are still bit more efficient though. They do need to be balanced and bored for dji motors as they are 6mm standard bore. but they fly great.

now, some of the later batch of DJI motor (2212) seem to have vibration issues as well. on one F550 kit., I had 3 motors being unusable for AP. Earlier kits were fine, but not these. I've heard that DJI has since changed the motor once again. (etched instead of sticker logo with issue that graupners will not easily work without spacer now) dynamic balancing can help a motor, but I am finding that we cannot do it accurate enough for AP use. in another word, if you have to dynamically balance a motor, just replace it if you are going to use it in AP/AV. you can make it great for stick banging with dynamic balancing, but not for AP. this lead to another view in that you should always buy decent quality motors.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Mar 2010
120 Posts
What motors come prebalanced that are optimal for a ap load?
TioDave is offline Find More Posts by TioDave
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:02 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
higher quality like sunnysky, tiger motor, avroto and others are well balanced from the factory. Hengli pancake is also well balanced.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member