Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by sir_clive, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:09 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
646 Posts
Build Log
OSG pimped for the Slope #3

Ok, here we go again... Wing #3! But this one is going to FLY! One way or another.

As it turned out, carbon spar, as I put it, is not an ideal way to enforce the wing. I was also way to sloppy while cutting, the blocks I cut the cores from were useless as a help for balsa sheeting.

Besides, I forgot to cut in a washout. Silly me, I *knew* it existed, but didn't think of it until Don asked me.

So - in the dumpster it goes. Well, not in the dumpster yet, have to salvage those carbon rods first.

Armed with the wire-cutting knowledge of the previous wings and this time taking VERY much time to get it as well as I possibly could, this is the result.

The cores still look rather bad near the TE, but I don't think one can actually do this job much better without better tools. Once covered with 1mm balsa, the TE ugliness disappears anyway.

The wing I was aiming at was S6063 (7%). What I ended with, and I *really* tried hard, is something resembling S6063, but not the S6063 itself, due to building inadequacies. GIven the similarity of profiles out there, I'm sure my wing now is a kind of a Frankenstein's Monster, flicked together from different profiles, scattered randomly all over the place.

At least it LOOKS nice and smooth, as far as I can tell; if I didn't know how important the utmost precision is when building a wing strictly to a given profile, I'd say it's perfect, except for the too thin TE, which doesn't look nice, but which is not so much thinner than the original S6063. Unfortunately, I know how important it is.

So far, the wing weights 256g. Next steps:

- Build the fuse with all necessary anchor points for the motor, LIPO, RX, Wing, push rods, etc.
- Cover the wing with 48g GFK
- Cut out the ailerons (or should that be the step #1?)
- Prepare the holes for the attachment to the fuse
- Attach the ailerons (I opted for silicon hinges, I was able to get a big tube of E41 for a bargain)
- Install servos

- Attach the wing to the fuse

- [... do 100 things I don't think of right now ...]

- MAIDEN!

The most important things I learned in this step:

1. You CAN'T be TOO precise. Regardless of how much effor you put in, there's still room for improvement.

2. BSI epoxy from HK works great, but I like R&G L (resin + hardener) even better. One really amazing glue!

3. It seems Epoxy doesn't cure where it comes in contact with packing tape. Everything cured very nicely (I also glued some other things with this same mixture I used for attaching balsa to EPS cores, so I know I mixed it well), except the strips where balsa sheets were attached to each other with tape. It's still slightly sticky.

Name: DSC_5572.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 123.6 KB
Description: Name: DSC_5573.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 117.4 KB
Description: Name: DSC_5574.jpg
Size: 130.6 KB
Description:
Name: DSC_5576.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 136.9 KB
Description: Servo opening + cable channel. Name: DSC_5578.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 144.8 KB
Description: Name: DSC_5581.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 218.0 KB
Description: Waiting for 24 hours for Epoxy to cure. Hell, I stopped waiting after 19:43, I couldn't stand it any more! :)
Name: DSC_5582.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 129.3 KB
Description: Ta-daaaaa! Name: DSC_5583.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 138.3 KB
Description: Name: DSC_5584.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 111.7 KB
Description:
Name: DSC_5585.jpg
Size: 135.7 KB
Description: Name: DSC_5588.jpg
Size: 122.0 KB
Description: Name: DSC_5589.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 128.4 KB
Description:
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Last edited by sir_clive; Jun 24, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts