HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined May 2011
36 Posts
Discussion
First quad build, Oppinions/Suggestions appreciated. (now with video)

Hello all,

I have built and flown my 2nd quad (first being mqX, which I love). I did have to bring the P gain way down (30%), from previous feedback from here I've been told I probably have too much vibration. I'm confident on my prop balancing, but the motor balancing is trickier. I can 3 with very little vibration, but I think the prop adapter on one is a little out of true, I was able to slightly compensate with a bit of tape though. I have ordered a new adapter.

The KK board is mounted in it's packing foam with triple thick double sided tape in each corner, and the packing foam is mounted to the frame with rubber bands and a zip tie for security.
Does this seem adequate for vibration dampening? Any more suggestions?

Thanks!

Frame
NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv motors
8x4 props
20A ESC
ziplock container, secured with velcro (can lift quad by the canopy)
Brainanator is offline Find More Posts by Brainanator
Last edited by Brainanator; Jul 08, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:21 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,934 Posts
the motor link says: "Our QC engineers check and balance each motor before shipping to the HobbyKing.com warehouse. " so the motors are probably pretty good. a easy way to check, though, is to take off all the props and rev up one motor at a time and listen to the sound.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined May 2011
36 Posts
Yeah, all the motors themselves were very good, but after putting on the prop adapters 2 were very slightly worse, and tape helped, one was fine, and one was worse than them all. Tape helped it out a lot, but not totally fixed.
I'm using the adapters made for these motors
listed here
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined May 2011
36 Posts
Well, got the new prop adapters, vibration I can feel is way down, but the onboard video says otherwise, as does the low P gain requirement on my gyros...but it seems to fly pretty good to me. Not as good as the mqx though...

Got a video of my first real flight with it (other than just hovering around the house outside)
Stuck on some bigger slow fly props I got in from hobbyking.
I think my KK2 came in saturday, but the post office closed before I could pick it up. Will get it tomorrow and play with it.

SK450 HobbyKing Quad Copter with KK board. (2 min 50 sec)

edit: I've also changed how I mounted the KK board (many layers of double stick foam type, different densities layered in too). Didn't really help with the low gain settings.
Last edited by Brainanator; Jul 08, 2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined May 2011
36 Posts
Got my KK2 in. Looks really good! Mounted it up and I'm just waiting for the wind to die down tonight hopefully to tune in the gyros.
I got a buddy/co-worker coming to pick me up for work on Wednesday, he's sort of into standard helis, but he (as myself) would rather do more flying than working on the dang things. So I think I can get him into multi rotors when he sees my mqx and this quad fly.