SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:15 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Discussion
Skyangel / HK Nano jets Mig -29 converted to Pusher Prop

Ozzisupercub inspired me to start a new thread for these.

35mm EDF's are cool, but I'd rather fly for more than 3 minutes and use 200 mAh batteries instead of 500 mAh. My flying area is small so a lighter wing loading and more thrust per amp will help, too.

Mig 29 Twin 35mm EDF

These Airframes are cheap from HK if you buy just the parts and are pretty tough... and with the Mig 29, only one ESC, one motor makes the whole build less than 1/3 the cost of an EDF version... and motors/props are at my LHS and not "nonexistant" like the 35mm EDF components.

Replacement Fuselage - $7
Vertical Stabs - $3
Canopy - $4.20
Horizontal Stabs - $3.25
Wings - $6

So a Complete airframe is About $25.

The EPO construction is tough, if a little heavy, but it would be possible to build one that weighed less than 100g AUW, which is 60g less than twin EDF and fly it with 5g or 10g brushless motor.

I'm using the 3000Kv 180 motor from a crashed GeeBee i bought from Hobb-e-mart (the AS3X electronics went into an Sbach), a mix of 1.7g and 2g servos from HK and am going to try out an A3 Pro 3 Axis Gyro board in the build.

This Thread is for anyone converting one of the Skyangel 35mm microjets to Pusher.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:26 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,287 Posts
UNGN,

Pretty slick conversion. Keep it coming!!!

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:48 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Good work UNGN. Your conversion looks pretty slick next to mine lol
I might repost my two vids here if thats ok?
Best thing about these is they are dirt cheap to get in the air and are heaps of fun
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:51 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
Good work UNGN. Your conversion looks pretty slick next to mine lol
I might repost my two vids here if thats ok?
Best thing about these is they are dirt cheap to get in the air and are heaps of fun
I was expecting you to post your vids... and post details of your mods and your CG location.

I woldn't have done this if I hadn't seen your vid... especially after seeing the hilarious first vid.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:02 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Once upon a time.........
Skyangel Mig-29 40mm EDF Conversion (9 min 48 sec)

Never one to give up......
Skyangel Mig-29 Pusher Conversion Info Video (3 min 47 sec)

Success!!!!!
Skyangel Mig-29 Pusher Conversion (6 min 40 sec)

No major mods to speak of. Just a little pop stick stuck to the back and the motor screwed on.
This is the motor I used. I am using GWS 4x4 props and the CG is as specified here

Plush 10 amp ESC

This Lipo
Just use the smallest servos you can get. I am using a Spektrum AR6100 because there is so much room between the nacelles. No need for the micro Rx and those tiny little servo plugs.

I just finished a little Hawk last night but have no canopy for it. I will be ordering a canopy and then will maiden it. I really cant believe how great the Mig flies. With all the hassle involved in getting these things to fly I decided enough was enough. Because they use an odd 35mm fan size, and because the motors for the fans are not readily available I've decided to convert all my 35mm fleet. Stay tuned.....
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:19 AM
Joined Aug 2011
808 Posts
lol just noticed what was said at the start of that video :-)
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:22 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
lol just noticed what was said at the start of that video :-)
Was wondering how long it would take you Jim. To be honest, it was that cold I wish I'd stayed home for some spooning....lol
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:21 PM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,126 Posts
Hey Ozzie,

I finally received my motor from Hong Kong today, (same as the one you are using).

I've got my GWS 4040 props, and am wondering about fitting the props to the motor. Do you just rubber band them on or do I need some kind of adapter on the shaft and then rubber band them on. Thanks for any help,

Wavekatcher
wavekatcher is online now Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:28 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Hi mate. Just use either tiny o-rings like any other prop saver does or tiny rubber bands. I use tiny rubber bands which I bought from a cheap discount shop. Couple of those and it works fine. Good luck. Let me know how you go. I'm waiting on a canopy for my little Hawk then I'll maiden her.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
Hi mate. Just use either tiny o-rings like any other prop saver does or tiny rubber bands. I use tiny rubber bands which I bought from a cheap discount shop. Couple of those and it works fine. Good luck. Let me know how you go. I'm waiting on a canopy for my little Hawk then I'll maiden her.
Thank you Mr. Supercub! I finished the modding today. Same motor as you, Gws 4040, Castle Creations 10 amp Phoenix ESC. Stock servos and orange micro rx.
I have a couple 3s 350mah Crappo-techs I'll try
I'll let you know if she is a flyer this time around.

Thanks for your help, Cheers.........Wavekatcher
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,126 Posts
resurrected

I "remaidened" her today. Full throttle, a nice hard toss and off she went. Just needed a little right aileron trim. I used my brand new Nanotech 3S 350mah 45c batteries. Set the timer for 3 minutes.

Its nice to see this Mig-29 actually fly. Even able to loop and roll no problem. And to think I was ready to stomp this little bird to death Nice speed when doing some strafing runs/low fly bys.

I still had 3.89 volts per cell left after the 3 minute 15 second runs, so it looks like I might get 5 minutes w/ throttle management out of these 350mah batts.

Thanks again Ozzie S
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:54 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Good to hear mate. She is a little beauty once in the air. Well done.