http://www.bananahobby.com/2297.html

Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, IL, La Grange Park
Joined May 2012
106 Posts
So far no good

I saw this plane and figured that it would be a good start for a 4 channel trainer. Currently very happy flying the HZ Champ. I'm not trying to bad mouth Banana Hobby or FMS but I have issues with this plane. Banana Hobby got the plane delivered really fast so I was happy with the service so far.

1. The instructions only showed how to assemble the plane. Nothing for setting up the linkages or electronics.
2. The CG on the manual is different than what is on the website (~ 15 mm more forward on manual).
3. On my first attempt to fly I used the website CG because it required no weights to be added. Hand launched several times resulting in immediate crashes.
4. Moved the CG to the instruction with 11 US pennies. Tested again and the plane nosed to the ground instantly. WAY too nose heavy now.

The plane just seems too heavy and the prop is really small (3X2).

Anybody have success with this plane so far? If so, did you modify anything or is it just me?
ad skyraider is offline Find More Posts by ad skyraider
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:57 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad skyraider View Post
I saw this plane and figured that it would be a good start for a 4 channel trainer. Currently very happy flying the HZ Champ. I'm not trying to bad mouth Banana Hobby or FMS but I have issues with this plane. Banana Hobby got the plane delivered really fast so I was happy with the service so far.

1. The instructions only showed how to assemble the plane. Nothing for setting up the linkages or electronics.
2. The CG on the manual is different than what is on the website (~ 15 mm more forward on manual).
3. On my first attempt to fly I used the website CG because it required no weights to be added. Hand launched several times resulting in immediate crashes.
4. Moved the CG to the instruction with 11 US pennies. Tested again and the plane nosed to the ground instantly. WAY too nose heavy now.

The plane just seems too heavy and the prop is really small (3X2).

Anybody have success with this plane so far? If so, did you modify anything or is it just me?

Sorry to hear your bad experience with this model, but unfortunately, despite the way this model is named and marketed, it is NOT a trainer, it is too small and responsive, if you want to learn how to fly 4 channels, recommend you try one of the larger EZ style models, approx. 51"-54" wingspan. I have this model on order, but I have several 4 ch models of this size, and I can assure, they are suitable for experienced pilots only, I've been flying every manner of RC aircraft for nearly 40 years now, and these "mini" full function models are not for beginners. I would suggest you try the larger Easy Trainer 1280, or the excellent Bixler, or AXN Clouds Fly or other similarly sized full function model.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined May 2012
106 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

I figured that the design concept is so similar to the other planes you mention (Bixler, etc) that it would be suitable even though it is smaller. There is one YouTube video of this plane and it shows a "supposed" first time flyer. One thing I note is that he launches well above ground level and the plane dips quite a bit before gaining altitude. That seems to be my problem is that I cannot get it to gain altitude on the launch.

I am anxious to see how it performs for you so please post how it goes.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
Hey there

Don't know if you got my other message Im still new to this and figuring out this forum thing. I am interested in your mini merlin kits my dad designed those and i helped with some of the first kits. look forward to your reply.
Jon Da Newland is offline Find More Posts by Jon Da Newland
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:24 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
San Diego
Joined Dec 2003
1,536 Posts
I have noticed that Banana hobby thinks that many of their planes are perfect for beginners.
BGR is online now Find More Posts by BGR
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined May 2012
106 Posts
Doubletap, have you gotten your plane yet?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Quote:
Doubletap, have you gotten your plane yet?

Yep, I received mine last week, it is very impressive for $70! , at first I was going to set it up on my own Futaba 9CHP Super , but I checked out everything and the included 2.4 Ghz TX/RX looks pretty decent, so I will go ahead and maiden it using the stock radio. I did check the included 2S 350mah lipo, it was properly balanced each cell was at a good storage voltage of approx. 7.83V. I always confirm cell integrity on all new lipos. then setup the control linkages and control throws to my taste. I did change one thing, I didn't like the little 3x2 prop, I'm sure it works just fine, but I went ahead and used my own prop adapter, and I used a cut down and balanced GWS 5043, which draws slightly more than the rated 6A of the ESC rating at WOT on a freshly charged lipo, so hopefully that will give the little guy a bit more performance, while still staying within the design limitations of the stock ESC. Hope to maiden it this weekend, will report back.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined May 2012
106 Posts
I did another test run today. Figured out that I had to throw the plane very hard to get it up. Still confused about COG because it seems tail heavy compared to website COG 52 mm behind leading edge of wing.

The planes nose is beat to crap but still seems ready for more.

Thinking of trying another plane in the meantime to learn. What do you think of the Pz um t-28?

Thx
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Quote:
I did another test run today. Figured out that I had to throw the plane very hard to get it up. Still confused about COG because it seems tail heavy compared to website COG 52 mm behind leading edge of wing.

The planes nose is beat to crap but still seems ready for more.

Thinking of trying another plane in the meantime to learn. What do you think of the Pz um t-28?

Thx
Both the manual and the website calls out the CG location as 52mm behind the leading edge, so it's consistent, your plane may be overly pitch sensitive, you may have too much mechanical throw for the elevator, I would recommend using the outermost hole of the horn on the elevator to minimize control throw. Also, like I said, it's better go with a larger model for an aileron trainer, I would recommend any micro/ultra micro as a trainer.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:20 AM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
322 Posts
Just received mine...

Arrived via UPS yesterday, from BananaHobby, all in good shape. Unboxed it and checked everything out last night... and was quite impressed by the build quality. For the price, this is a terrific package! I can hardly wait to try it out.

I did find two small surprises: The elevator and rudder servo actions were both reversed... so... I just flipped the switches on TX. I also tweaked the linkages to improve center-trim positions... but they were pretty close. I'm new to RC... is that kind of thing common for RTF shipments?

More to come.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeMan View Post
Arrived via UPS yesterday, from BananaHobby, all in good shape. Unboxed it and checked everything out last night... and was quite impressed by the build quality. For the price, this is a terrific package! I can hardly wait to try it out.

I did find two small surprises: The elevator and rudder servo actions were both reversed... so... I just flipped the switches on TX. I also tweaked the linkages to improve center-trim positions... but they were pretty close. I'm new to RC... is that kind of thing common for RTF shipments?

More to come.

Yeah, actually, FMS is a very well established manufacturer and OEM of foam models, so I'm not too surprised over the superb quality but impressed nevertheless in the excellent design work and quality of materials and fabrication. As far as PNF/RTF I have yet to receive one that is literally ready to fly out of the box, so it's pretty much S.O.P. to first zero out all the control surfaces by adjusting the linkages , and then do your fine tuning with the trim switches on the transmitter. BTW, I just received the larger Easy Trainer 1280 also, just yesterday, so my next trip to the field will be for a couple of maidens. If you thought the 800 is a great deal, the larger 1280 is absolutely the best in class value for EZ style foamies IMO, the overall design and workmanship is mind boggling for such an inexpensive model, which was even cheaper with this BH 20% off discount code:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685119
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:21 AM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
322 Posts
Just received mine... (continued)

Tonight, I added some CF rods to my new ET800. Still haven't put it in the air -- wanted to finish some crash proofing first. I'm new to RC flying.

I started this evening by slicing off a bit of the leading edge... from outer-edge of one aileron to outer-edge of the other... leaving a groove, in it's place, just large enough to seat a round CF rod with the same diameter curvature as the leading-edge it is replacing. Then I added the rod, melting through the center thickened portion (where wing-meets-fuselage) so it could go clear across both wings as a solid piece. Fixed in place with hot glue, and an outer layer of packing tape to restore the smooth surface to the airfoil. Now I have a main wing leading edge that is hard as a rock and increases wing stiffness at the same time.

Then I melted a groove into the bottom of the fuselage along the center line, from mid wing to the very tip of the tail boom, which involved melting through the nub on the tail so a rod could go straight through without significant bend. More glue to seat it, tape down the length, and I have a tail boom with considerably improved stiffness also.

I taped the hinges, and exercised them a zillion times, so they are easy to bend, but extra strengthened as well.

Taped the nose a bit.

Velcro'd the speed control into the top of the wing, the receiver into one side of the nose, the battery to the other side (as far forward as possible, because I was concerned the tail rod would screw up my CG)... and finally assembled everything for a flight-ready balance. I was really expecting to add a little ballast to the nose, to compensate for the tail CF stuff, but I guess the leading edge CF was a good counter, because the CG was spot-on without any help.

Tomorrow... I crash. (I am an engineer, not a pilot.)

More to come.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:43 AM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
322 Posts

Ok... First and second flights completed (i.e. I emptied two batteries)! It came home in one piece... and I am basking in the realization that I do *not* actually suck as an RC pilot.

First throw went straight to the grass and, sure enough, once it was in the air, it was clear it needed some up-trim. In fact, overall, it felt a tad under-powered... but, then, I added two CF rods to it and associated tape... so that might be my own fault. However, I don't want to be too negative here: I flew mostly at 3/4 throttle -- it was a blast to fly -- and it fit my beginner status beautifully. I was able to bob and weave to my heart's content, and can tell I'm really going to enjoy improving my skills on this excellent little plane.

--

I have a technical question, though: At the far edge of the field... I was actually losing contact with it. In a couple of instances it manifested as a very unsettling "lag" and, in one case, complete loss of control (in a few seconds it powered down and dove to the ground). This is with the stock TX and RX. Anyone have some pointers on how I can diagnose what's wrong?

--

All in all, tho, a great day for me. Very fun to fly -- I'm gonna love this hobby.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:27 AM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
322 Posts

Worried about the range issue -- I took some time to reposition the receiver and antenna: First, I slipped the antenna into a bendy soda-straw (yes, seriously), trimmed so that the exposed antenna part was in the "bendable" section. I then attached the base of the straw to the receiver itself, so it stuck straight out from the end of the receiver. Then, facing the antenna toward the tail, I pushed the receiver into the back of the plane (further back than the servos) and velcro'd it to the bottom of the fuselage. With a length of hanger, I was able to get the straw/antenna pointing straight down the tail boom with an upward bend for the exposed portion. Now I have an antenna that is straight, isolated from accidental contact with the push-rods, and nowhere near the batteries and servos. In field testing tonight, this new arrangement worked much better -- I had contact across my entire flying field... which is about the limit of my safe vision.

For the life of me, I can find no directions on how to do a "range check" with the stock TX/RX that came with the plane. Literature that came with the plane says, "Be sure to do a range check"... but doesnt say how. The TX itself says "FMS" and "F-4" on it... but I find no info on such. I have found references to an FMS "X-4"... which looks *almost* identical... but not quite (and still no description of how to do a range check with that). Frustrating. Somebody please tell me how stupid I am.

Anyway... another fun evening with some "windy" flying time (gusty, with a storm brewing NE): At about 2/3 throttle, it struggled to swim upstream! The turn from downwind back into the wind again... was exciting every time. Still... an 800mm plane... it felt like it was very controllable, if a bit challenging for a new guy. For comparison, my son was flying a stock 1380mm(?) Hawk Sky and was almost unaffected by the same conditions. Size matters -- who knew?