HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:51 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,062 Posts
Discussion
Why Does My Plane Need So Much Uptrim?

I've got one of these http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...dy-to-fly.html. It's good flying airplane but pretty hard to keep it from being tailheavy, IMO. Mine's a bit heavy at around 53 ounces with a 3s 2200 and a 3548 sized motor. The reason I don't like having to use so much uptrim to fly level is that when I hover, it always wants to roll over or fall back on itself. I have a hard time using a little bit of elevator to consantly hover. Not sure if motor angle or anything can be adjusted to help. Perhaps a switch to change elevator trim for hovering? I'm not much on radio programming but I guess I need to learn. I'm using a Turnigy 9x radio.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:01 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,465 Posts
You haven't mentioned the CG, I assume it is correct and not well forward ?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:42 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,062 Posts
It's actually about a quarter to half inch tailheavy. Still flies stably. I'd have to add weight to get it any better. Really don't want to.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:47 AM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,501 Posts
A 3D aerobatic model should fly inverted with no or only the slightest touch of down elevator.. does it?
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:44 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,448 Posts
What strikes as strange is that you say it's TAILHEAVY but you mention UPTRIM.
Usually with a tailheavy model - you would be putting in DOWNTRIM.

I can understand it FALLING BACK on itself ( that wording indicates model is falling back to INVERTED ). The tail would be pulling her back. If she was balanced correctly - then I would expect this to stop.

??
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:10 PM
Neenah, WI
Joined May 2006
385 Posts
Perhaps both ailerons are trailed-up (?)
gyrocptr is offline Find More Posts by gyrocptr
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:54 PM
United States, NJ, Ocean View
Joined Oct 2011
49 Posts
here again try and balance inverted
Harold H is offline Find More Posts by Harold H
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:30 PM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
400 Posts
Does throttle position in level flight make a big difference? If it does I would suspect thrust angle.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:46 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,209 Posts
I thought 3d planes were balanced tail heavy.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
I thought 3d planes were balanced tail heavy.
Depends what you call tail heavy. Generally they are balanced about neutral, so that they fly upright and inverted without any pressure on the elevator, though some prefer a slightly more forward CG that still needs slight forward pressure on the elvator when inverted.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Depends what you call tail heavy. Generally they are balanced about neutral, so that they fly upright and inverted without any pressure on the elevator, though some prefer a slightly more forward CG that still needs slight forward pressure on the elvator when inverted.
Yep, and many fly the 1st flight or so a bit on the nose heavy side and work their way back. I have mine close to neutral and they fly inverted with almost no stick needed. I do not fly 3D, but I use 3D planes for aerobatics and I find that a balance near to what 3Ders use is good for me. That point makes landings easy for me also. They are going to stall unless I use a bit of power and fly them down to near touchdown. Power off will work if you "force" the nose down a bit to keep speed up. I like it that way.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,062 Posts
Got a few wind free flights in this morning. It flies level inverted. Anything half throttle or better doesn't change anything, inverted or upright. Ailerons look nice and level. Perhaps wing or elevator incidence is off a bit. Really not a big deal. I'd almost call this plane an aerobatic model and not really 3d. Ailerons are big and elevator is effective but rudder is kinda smallish. Hard to get it pointed back up when it falls to the side when hovering. This thing flat spins like nothing else I've flown though. Loses very little altitude when doing them. Afraid I'm going to burn the motor up doing them. It's so fun and easy to do them. Gonna swith to a 4s setup soon for more snap.
Last edited by krexken; Jun 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:40 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,111 Posts
Might be something to do with the throws. Rudder needs to almost touch the elevators. Lots of elevator also. I find the elevator never stops moving when in hover unless you get it dead on vertical, but hard to get that point. In hover, all you depend on is propwash over the surfaces, so you need lots. I've found it helps to pulse the throttle. That way you get more prop blast over the surfaces.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
831 Posts
I go spin crazy with my stryker lol.
Try going up as high as you can and start the spins and count them , its fun and then you try to beat the old score . it gets interesting when you tru to squeeze just 2 more in lol.
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:03 PM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
Looks like your 10oz. over the recommended weight using the recommended battery. Where is all the extra weight?
rockom is offline Find More Posts by rockom