HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:28 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,199 Posts
Keep us posted! I want to hear your experience. I am seriously considering the Calypso over the Radian (not Pro).
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2014, 09:00 AM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,388 Posts
My Calypso has been flying great with an alternate power system.

I used a Suppo 2212 1000Kv motor. The original prop worked well but wasn't giving the thrust I wanted so I changed out the blades to 10x6 blades and now it is great.

Doesn't climb out vertically or anything but does well.

Balanced with a 3S 1500mah all the way back, or a 3S 850mah all the way forward.

Have had a handful of flights over 30 minutes now and enjoy the plane.
mt_100 is online now Find More Posts by mt_100
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:56 PM
United States, NY, Rocky Point
Joined Feb 2010
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&H View Post
Calypso scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to get it in the air!
Word of warning from someone who learned the hard way. The velcro that is glued in is useless.
I am now having motor noises also as someone has said. No full power climbs, and I only climb to glide and soar. Nothing that would wear out the motor in 10-15 flights. Anyone suggest a better quality motor that is a direct bolt in replacement? I don't need faster, I need high quality and more efficient if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100 View Post
My Calypso has been flying great with an alternate power system
I used a Suppo 2212 1000Kv motor. .
You answered a question I did not ask yet! Thanks.
100MPG is online now Find More Posts by 100MPG
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:11 PM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,388 Posts
Keep in mind the 2212 is a step down in size from the supplied motor.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:41 PM
Joined Feb 2010
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_100 View Post
Keep in mind the 2212 is a step down in size from the supplied motor.
do you think it climbs as well as the original?
Why did you choose that motor knowing it is a step down, where you trying to extend flight time?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 09:17 PM
I have no friends
Joined Dec 1996
3,388 Posts
I never flew with the original motor. I bought the ARF version and had this motor lying around.

If you use this motor you will want to use a 10x6 prop.

To use this motor I had to drill out the prop hub to 1/8".
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:12 AM
Joined May 2008
15 Posts
Laminating the Calypso

What are the thoughts on using the "New Stuff" laminating film on the Calypso. I have a roll of the 3mil film and have been thinking of laminating the wings. The decals the plane came with didn't do it for me so I've removed them and it does leave the surface a bit less smooth than it was before. My thought is that the laminate will fix that as well as give a bit more strength to the wings. I tested the film out on a cheap styrofoam glider from the toy store and it applies very nicely. Can't tell if it gave it any strength but it sure did smooth it out.

What are your thoughts? Good or bad?
boudreaujr is offline Find More Posts by boudreaujr
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:38 AM
Joined Feb 2010
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boudreaujr View Post
What are the thoughts on using the "New Stuff" laminating film on the Calypso. I have a roll of the 3mil film and have been thinking of laminating the wings. The decals the plane came with didn't do it for me so I've removed them and it does leave the surface a bit less smooth than it was before. My thought is that the laminate will fix that as well as give a bit more strength to the wings. I tested the film out on a cheap styrofoam glider from the toy store and it applies very nicely. Can't tell if it gave it any strength but it sure did smooth it out.

What are your thoughts? Good or bad?
I am trying to figure out the best way to paint my calypso. I am not sure about the film you are talking about but I would like the plane to be another color besides white! Too hard to see when you have a sky full of clouds.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:20 AM
Joined May 2008
15 Posts
This film is supposed to be fully paintable. Just rough up the surface a bit and paint away. I bought it to do a model that I never built but think it would be good for the Calypso for reasons such as yours as well.
boudreaujr is offline Find More Posts by boudreaujr
Old Aug 27, 2014, 03:18 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,199 Posts
Thinking about getting this over the Radian (not Pro). Similar pricing, similar weight but this has ailerons and flaps (when the time comes).

I know this is a Calypso thread but any comments and/or opinions? I know the Radian has a weak fuse and many owners stiffen it with a carbon rod but there's a carbon tube built into the Calypso's fuse.

Mainly want to just tool around and do some thermally here an there. Not new to R/C planes (and helis) but new to gliders.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Aug 27, 2014, 09:31 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,263 Posts
The Calypso is fantastic GET ONE RxR and go have fun . Best bang for the $$ you get 4 chan with the flaps option ready for use(just install servo and cut out the flap part) It's cheaper than the Radian and in my opinion better and much better looking too.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Aug 27, 2014, 09:43 PM
Hamilton, CANADA
Joined Sep 2009
340 Posts
Not a fan of electric, but I'm being dragged into it with the rest of the club members..
Started with an Electra... then got the Calypso. Major improvement... climbs and soars well. Really like the wing joining system... two screws... done.

Opted for "flaperon" setup... and it works like a DLG... Lots of speed, cruise and thermal control, and lots of dive brake to land... or catch. (I have the motor with a soft start on a switch..!!)

Only way to improve it is to give it more span..!!
Upvector is offline Find More Posts by Upvector
Old Aug 28, 2014, 08:11 AM
Argentina, SF, Rosario
Joined Jul 2013
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upvector View Post
Only way to improve it is to give it more span..!!

Upvector, please read my previous post nš 1408 on page 94 and watch the video on post nš1418 on page 95 of this thread.
LcsBrc is offline Find More Posts by LcsBrc
Old Aug 28, 2014, 07:01 PM
Joined Feb 2010
439 Posts
This plane FLIES great. Handles well, soaring great, glides great I love climbing for a minute or 2 and then gliding around for 5-8 or more minutes....
however...
The rest of the plane is way too cheap to be fun. After the velcro incident, I ordered a new esc, and it does not work. The wires on the motor (I also bought the rx ready version) and SO dam short, you cannot grab the wires to unplug the esc. After numerous attempts to get it to fly today, the ridiculously THIN motor wires broke. I was not even pulling on the wire, I was pulling on the bullet connector. Time to make this plane right
Old Aug 29, 2014, 09:27 PM
Joined Feb 2010
439 Posts
Well, no flying today either. I soldered up the connector again and tried to set the throttle. Turned on rx, full throttle, plugged in the rx. just beep beep beep, fast and non stop. That means the throttle is not set...but it does not set it.
Any suggestions?