HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:06 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
601 Posts
do you guys think this is comparable to stock?

I'm waiting for the arf and if i can save a few bucks on a motor, i'm going to.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12921
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citationfxr View Post
After researching foam trainers for months (Fun Cub, Mentor, Sensei, even Twinstar II) I changed my mind completely after researching the Calypso. I'm hoping the slower flying speeds will make this a good experience with my son and for me to get back into RC flying.

This is my first foam airplane and overall I'm really impressed, I've built an Eagle 2 and Sophisticated lady years ago and was a little hesitant of foam but having a job, family, and acre+ of yard to maintain has changed that. First flight will be in a few days and I'll post results.

Radio is a Futaba 7C and although this has Any Link, I may just use the extra Futaba receiver I have on hand for peace of mind, maybe I'm worrying too much. For those on the fence, I can say that initial quality and packaging is very good. The only dent in mine is the hangar rash induced by my son handling a wing, not an issue, this thing is about the flying experience and not turning into an obsessive science project.
Thanks to those who have shared initial impressions. Take care and fly safe!
I would also switch to the Futaba receiver. The stated range on the AnyLink is 1000 feet. While that sounds like a lot, you can easily get a glider of this size farther out than that.

As for you dings and dents in the foam, there will be many along the way. Here is how you fix them.

HOW TO FIX WARPS, DENTS, TWISTS OR UNCRUNCH FOAM PARTS
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11127
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:38 PM
Independence MO.
Joined Mar 2007
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txg8gxp View Post
I'm starting to really like this plane. The main thing I did different was change the incidence of the horizontal, The rear needed to be shimmed up some. After the change I'm able to achieve level flight with little to no up elevator trim. The rudder and elevator seem to be alittle more sensitive now too, thats a plus. I'm also flying with 4 different flight conditions, 1 with alittle reflex ( really helps increase speed when tracking back and forth across the field), 1 with alittle chamber (helps slow it down while thermal hunting), 1 more with a few more degrees of chamber, and the last one is flaperons. I moved the servo pushrod closer to the aileron, this allowed me to get alot more flaps out of it. I'm probably around 40 degrees, with alittle elevator comp it comes to a complete stop and stays very stable. With that I have done it is super fun and flys great. I now like it so much I have pulled all the factory graphics off and painted my own design on it. Good ole Calypso.......Yeah, I'm from Texas :P
Could you elaborate on how and what you used to change the incidence,
my Calypso is requiring a lot of up trim to fly level.
drmwmc is offline Find More Posts by drmwmc
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,440 Posts
My friend has run into the tail incidence issue as well. He used a piece of aluminum foil folded over to about 1/16" to shim it but I think it could still use a little more.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
I personally used small piece of wood popsicle sticks, I'm at about a 1/8" of material. That took the tail from a -3.5 to -4 to about -.5, I plan to add just alittle more shim as I still have a small amount of up elevator for level flight, but I now only have about a 1/4-1/3 the amount that was needed stock.
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmwmc View Post
Could you elaborate on how and what you used to change the incidence,
my Calypso is requiring a lot of up trim to fly level.
Better yet, could someone put up a photo?

Thanks.
Himself is offline Find More Posts by Himself
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
I don't want to tear mine apart right now buts its a easy mod, there are two plastic fins on the bottom of the vertical stab that go through the horizontal and into the fuse. Under the back tab is were you want to add some shims to get rid of the negative incidience. The use of a couple incidience meters would be best but if you can also get a good idea how close you are by the amount of trim needed for level flight. I added right at a 1/8" and that got me really close. If you don't have meter and are going to try the mod I would recommend adding a little up trim for your first test flight so there is no chance of the plane trying to dip down on launch, then you can just take the extra trim out once in the air. I hope that helps some.
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:20 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,643 Posts
Latest update on my Calypso,
Trim is neutral with no adjustments needed. I flew it this past weekend at in the mountains of W. Virginia and she handles the slope and high winds with ease.
Today back at our field the lift was very light but she maintains altitude and 40 plus minute flight were easy.

I will be adding flaps during the week and hope to try them out next Wednesday.

Calypso's a keeper!
cooper998 is online now Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,440 Posts
Hi, cooper998.

May I ask where you have your CG? My friend and I are still getting his dialed in and we just haven't had many opportunities for trial and error but it seems a bit nose heavy at the recommended location.

Thanks!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:46 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,045 Posts
Cooper, very glad to here of your flight. Just wondering what batteries are you using in this glider? If you use different batteries such as 1300mah- 2200mah, how did she handle them?
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:57 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,643 Posts
peterlngh,
CG is right on the spar, tried it forward and aft and settled on the spar location as best for my type of flying.

G-LO,
I use the stock 1300 battery as well as E-Flite 1350mah 30c batteries. I tried a 2100mah but could not get it far enough back to balance the plane, besides with the 1300's I can get 5~6 power ups to altitude if needed and still have enough for probably an hour of flight.
cooper998 is online now Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
96 Posts
Just wanted to post a "first flight" report, make that a successful first flight report! Flight times weren't too long but there was very little lift and I was spending some time flying low, practicing approaches. Did five hand launches and only one bad landing which popped the canopy off, thought that was the end but everything was ok. This thing can definitely take some knocks.

Overall, I was very happy with how it tracks throught he sky and can be slowed down for landing. I used up a good portion of a soccer field but approaches were a little steep so no real surprises there. Landings seemed a little hot on approach but I was happy with how quickly airspeed bled off once leveled out and a few feet off the ground. Flaps will be interesting to try. Even with the stock battery all the way forward my CG was a hair aft of the spar so need some work there, the nose wanted to drop a decent amount once power was brought back, seems contradictory. The previous posts regarding horizontal stab incidence are definitely worth a review for me.

Happy customer, very rewarding to finally get something flying. This ship looks great cruising by, as if I need to tell anyone who owns one!
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:34 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Calypso down: update to post 102

Hobbico sent me a new fuse and she's back in the air. Still not sure what caused the signal failure. One thing I can't rule out, the Anylink connection between the tx and the module. It pushes in firm, but doesn't snap in place. I was seated with the rx on my lap when I lost signal to the plane. This could have dislodged the connection briefly. I re-created this condition on the bench, pulled on the wire a bit and lost signal to the rx.
I would suggest others using the Anylink to tape this connection to prevent loss of signal from occurring.
Anylink should improve on this design by adding a snap catch similar to what you see on automotive wiring connections. For piece of mind, I installed an AR600 rx. A dozen flights since then, still loving this plane.

Super customer service from Hobbico and special thanks to KRProton for the support.
rabshell is offline Find More Posts by rabshell
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:21 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,045 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you Rabshell.
G-LO is online now Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:48 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,394 Posts
Has anyone installed flap servo's "flat" like the aileron's are mounted? Don't care so much for the surface mount shown in the instructions. Any interference problems with the "flat" mount, just wondering why they would do this.
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976