50% DR while the motor running otherwise nothin
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2014, 09:38 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,990 Posts
Boy does this plane ever rip with a Radian prop. My buddy made the mistake of hitting the throttle while it was gliding too close to the ground and he broke it. The stock props are back ordered so I stuck my spare Radian prop on there. You have to sand the shoulders down just a bit to get them to fit.

The stock prop is 9x5 and the Radian prop is 9.75 x 7.5 which is a big step up. The stock ESC is 18a as opposed to 30a on the Radian, so we are taking it easy on the throttle until we can do some measurements with a watt meter. I have taken it to full throttle for a couple of short bursts, and so far so good. What a difference! It will go straight up.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Mar 05, 2014, 12:35 PM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
U can always order a "kit" version and put any motor prop ESC that fits.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 04:38 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
421 Posts
I think I'm going to work on my plane making some mods. I haven't been able to fly it for awhile so I'm going to give it a tuneup. I don't like that plastic firewall I'm going to put a plywood plate doubler behind it to beef it up and ma;ybe make it less prone to motor heat damage. In the wind it just to me feels like it could use a little larger prop and so that might make the motor run hotter I don't know. It's held up so far it's a lucky old bird.

I'm also going to build a better balancing jig and set the cg forward a little from where it is now. It's going to be breezy here all spring it always is. I have dual rates set up but I have never used them I don't think it needs it either. I'm going to leave my spoileron setup and add my flap kit and see if I can shorten my road landings.

I've noticed with mine that if I fly it at medium speed its a sweet gentle bird. If I try to overfly it it gets a little weird with some down elevator required. I hope to get it back out this weekend weather permitting
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Mar 08, 2014, 07:39 PM
Joined Aug 2004
26 Posts
Finally had a decent enough day to maiden mine. What a fun airplane to fly and just relax with cruising the skies. Definitely handles the wind without much trouble and is an absolute pussycat to land. Only thing that bothered me is the extreme pitch up at full throttle. Looking forward to getting out and flying it again soon.
Kinger is offline Find More Posts by Kinger
Old Mar 08, 2014, 11:01 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinger View Post
Finally had a decent enough day to maiden mine. What a fun airplane to fly and just relax with cruising the skies. Definitely handles the wind without much trouble and is an absolute pussycat to land. Only thing that bothered me is the extreme pitch up at full throttle. Looking forward to getting out and flying it again soon.
Mixing some down elevator to throttle provides one less thing to do during climb out. It is a fun plane, Isn't it.

Dave
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Mar 09, 2014, 10:24 AM
Joined Aug 2004
26 Posts
That was exactly my plan. Throttle to down elevator mix. I really really enjoyed flying it.....so relaxing and different from my normal flying with helicopters.
Kinger is offline Find More Posts by Kinger
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:33 PM
Joined Feb 2012
421 Posts
She does like to overly climb at full throttle. I don't mix anything I just hold it down while climbing out. But I have to do stuff the simple way cause programming this is starting to not be fun. Of course I was in a hurry so didn't even install the flap kit yet, I hope to get all together and retrimmed the weather is starting to warm up here. If I hold a little down elevator then work the throttle I can get nice 45 degree climbouts.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:07 PM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Feb 2014
47 Posts
Just got my calypso about 2 weeks ago and loving it. Have an embarrassing number of great slope and thermal sites around me, haven't gone through one full battery yet in 2 weeks. Maybe used the prop a total of 1 minute. Few pics of soaring sites
MarinFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MarinFlyer
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:25 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,481 Posts
We postponed the maiden on advice of a club member who is into gliders. He recommended
we get a extended range rec. He is a person we listen to, always good info.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:23 AM
Joined Feb 2012
421 Posts
Advice is usually worth about what it costs. Fly the plane. Keep the upgrade in mind but fly the plane. Set the trims shake it out a bit maybe do a dive test to check the cg and don't try to make it to Ireland on your first flight. No charge!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:35 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinFlyer View Post
Just got my calypso about 2 weeks ago and loving it. Have an embarrassing number of great slope and thermal sites around me, haven't gone through one full battery yet in 2 weeks. Maybe used the prop a total of 1 minute. Few pics of soaring sites
My transmitter has a timer that goes off whenever I start the motor. When I start the motor I go full-power and then glide until i'm very close to the ground.
I can run the motor for 4-minutes at full power and run with 70% of charge on the LIPO.

I average 20 mins without major effort.

great plane.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:36 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
We postponed the maiden on advice of a club member who is into gliders. He recommended
we get a extended range rec. He is a person we listen to, always good info.
Regular RX works well. (full-range)
Never use park or mid-range rx.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:37 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post
Regular RX works well. (full-range)
Never use park or mid-range rx.
The wind was unpredictable, not an ideal day for a first flight. We chose
caution.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:19 AM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Feb 2014
47 Posts
If you have kept the bubble wrap bags to store your different pieces of the Calypso in, I just bought this children's snowboard bag which fits the calypso perfectly.

http://www.tactics.com/burton/space-.../tartlet-plaid

Note the bag is not padded itself, it's just heavy duty fabric. But the bubble wrap keeps things well protected. It's 129cm, leaving about 6-8 inches of empty space in the bag length.

I strap this on the back of another backpack for walking into flying sites.

This one also looks great, as it has shoulder straps built in. But more expensive and longer..

http://www.6pm.com/burton-board-slee...gua-stripe-140
MarinFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MarinFlyer