HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2013, 04:44 PM
SC1
United States, LA, Zachary
Joined Jul 2003
311 Posts
Okay, I'm getting that the Solius is a higher-quality model. It would just about have to be...

Anyone have the Rx-R version? That's what I would get, as I assume the supplied power system is adequate for sport flying? I can acquire proper batteries; I have some 3S 2100s, but they may be too long for the battery compartment.

I'm really less than thrilled with foam models in general; my traditional-construction (balsa, ply, film covering) electric models fly rings around every foamie I've handled. I have been contemplating the H9 Mystique for this exact reason. With that twisted empennage, my Calypso flies... And that's about all you can say good about it.

SC1 is offline Find More Posts by SC1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2013, 04:47 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
777 Posts
Uhh...

I thought this thread was about the Calypso.
ombudsman is online now Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Oct 29, 2013, 06:04 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1 View Post
Okay, I'm getting that the Solius is a higher-quality model. It would just about have to be...

Anyone have the Rx-R version? That's what I would get, as I assume the supplied power system is adequate for sport flying? I can acquire proper batteries; I have some 3S 2100s, but they may be too long for the battery compartment.

I'm really less than thrilled with foam models in general; my traditional-construction (balsa, ply, film covering) electric models fly rings around every foamie I've handled. I have been contemplating the H9 Mystique for this exact reason. With that twisted empennage, my Calypso flies... And that's about all you can say good about it.

I got the RxR version and I decided to change the Calypso's power system to a slightly beefier one, that could turn a 11x7 prop. WRT the Solius, the KIT form is sans motor, servos, etc., airframe only. FYI. The RTF Solius version is setup to fly sport gliding.

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 08:24 AM
SC1
United States, LA, Zachary
Joined Jul 2003
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
I thought this thread was about the Calypso.

It is. It is also about comparing the Calypso to other, similar offerings.

SC1 is offline Find More Posts by SC1
Old Nov 04, 2013, 07:10 PM
Albany, Oregon
Joined Feb 2006
49 Posts
Elevator throttle mix/balance point etc.

Am setting up new Calypso with flaps, how far did you end up lowering the flaps for crow/butterfly?

What elevator to throttle mix do you guys use to nullify the pitch up when using full throttle?

Directions say the balance point should be 1/4 inch forward of the spar, the photo seemed to show the little carbon fiber wing stiffener and not the large hollow main wing spar? Am I correct the cg should be 1/4" forward of this wing stiffener? Where did your Calypso finally balance out?

I wound up with about 160 watts, that about average?

I'm very happy with the quality and value I've found so far!
cjoregon is offline Find More Posts by cjoregon
Old Nov 07, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Nov 2013
1 Posts
Calypso FTZA3000

Nice review you made.
I'm not real impressed with this glider other that it comes out of the box and assembles quick to fly. Guess I'm spoiled with the build yourself models.
1. It is nose heavy, I suppose for beginner stall characteristics.
2. Only 3 flights and the charger doesn't work any longer. Now it's grounded.
3. Pretty nice flyer but elevator difficult to trim out because of the heavy nose. Requires constant stick pressure. I've moved everything aft as far as possible.
Q. Does anyone know of a decent after market charger that actually works??

Thanks much
WA Flyer is offline Find More Posts by WA Flyer
Old Nov 08, 2013, 08:24 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA Flyer View Post
Nice review you made.
I'm not real impressed with this glider other that it comes out of the box and assembles quick to fly. Guess I'm spoiled with the build yourself models.
3. Pretty nice flyer but elevator difficult to trim out because of the heavy nose. Requires constant stick pressure. I've moved everything aft as far as possible.

Thanks much
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7028
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Nov 08, 2013, 11:04 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,943 Posts
Quote:
...a decent after market charger that actually works??

Thanks much
Accucel6 is a peach! Be aware you'll need a separate power supply for it. A made-for-computer-type that puts out ~15VDC in the 5-7Amp range (~$15 on Amazon) is what I use, but this purt' much restricts you to charging one LiPo at a time. Also, one of these [Plug-King] sets should prove invaluable in the long run. It has everything I've ever encountered except the new XT90 plugs for heavy Amp apps, which charger plugs are available separately.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2013, 12:49 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Accucel6 is a peach! Be aware you'll need a separate power supply for it. A made-for-computer-type that puts out ~15VDC in the 5-7Amp range (~$15 on Amazon) is what I use, but this purt' much restricts you to charging one LiPo at a time. Also, one of these [Plug-King] sets should prove invaluable in the long run. It has everything I've ever encountered except the new XT90 plugs for heavy Amp apps, which charger plugs are available separately.
Or this from HK. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Nov 08, 2013, 08:36 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
413 Posts
Quote:
Nice review you made.

Thanks much
If you are using the recommended battery, you should be able to balance the plane properly so it is not nose heavy.

Did you check the CG? Otherwise, the elevator pressure required for level flight may be due to the improper incidence of the rear stab to the wing. Earlier versions of this plane are known to have this issue as you will see earlier in this thread.

-Randy
Westranm is online now Find More Posts by Westranm
Old Dec 01, 2013, 09:19 PM
Emergency landing expert
United States, CO, Vail
Joined Sep 2013
191 Posts
A recent Calypso flight

Avon Reservoir (2 min 15 sec)

Andy
AlphaDeltaTango is offline Find More Posts by AlphaDeltaTango
Old Dec 01, 2013, 09:27 PM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,951 Posts
Nice!!!!
race58 is online now Find More Posts by race58
Old Dec 02, 2013, 12:33 AM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,651 Posts
Participated in a Gliders competition this weekend...
This is what the CD wrote on the results:

"Robert [...] took pictures, and flew his Calypso electric sailplane. He flew well and was just 10 seconds short of a max in the third round. The Calypso is a good machine and Robert did a good job with it"

After the contest Today I was flying with two pure-gliders circling a thermal... i beat them both in altitude and my altimeter registered 1100 ft above the ground !!!

Getting serious little by little... that glider is amazing
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Last edited by ripacheco; Dec 02, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2013, 06:02 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,943 Posts
Re your caption on 1st pic, "...have an altimeter/vario on it..." I thought varios were not permitted. AMA rules, to wit:
5. Any device for the transmission of information from the model aircraft to the pilot or timer/helper which would assist the pilot in finding, locating or centering on thermal or slope lift is prohibited.
???
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2013, 07:43 AM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Re your caption on 1st pic, "...have an altimeter/vario on it..." I thought varios were not permitted. AMA rules, to wit:
5. Any device for the transmission of information from the model aircraft to the pilot or timer/helper which would assist the pilot in finding, locating or centering on thermal or slope lift is prohibited.
???
You are right. We use my telemetry to tell when to turn the power off not to tell if glider is climbing or descending. I could use a specialized device to accomplish the same but since this is not an AMA sanctioned event I'm allowed to use the limited telemetry for that purpose only. Which means the vario is disabled during the contest. The TX beeps when I reach 200m Or the motor is ran for 30 secs
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco