HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Has anyone played with adding ballast? I have several friends with calypso's and plan to pick one up myself. There is always wind down here and stock they seem to bleed off speed fairly fast, alittle reflex helps but I'm thinking some added weight could make a huge difference. Any thoughts on the subject would be nice.
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
16 Posts
My guess is that the Radian/Pro would have the advantage in the build quality department. Although I really like how the Calypso is smaller and has that built in landing wheel and skid plates stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmonovak View Post
I Am new to sailplanes and was just about to get either a radian or a radian pro when i saw this. I like the relaxed flying style of the radian, but also like the features (crow,etc) of the pro...hopefully the calypso with flaps will be a good combination of the two.

Really looking forward to your reviews.

Thanks
IIIHorseman is offline Find More Posts by IIIHorseman
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:50 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabshell View Post
Put the Calypso up this morning. Having a great flight, tail feathers staying tight, flying great. Sitting in the chair watching a hawk, several buzzards and a Heron fly by. Everything is working great, very relaxing flight. About 19 minutes on the timer, flying about 75 feet up, nice and slow with a little up elevator.

With no warning, lost all power, no control. Dropped nose first into the foot high grassy field. Nose is wrinkled and bent back, fuse cracked by the servos and the lipo took a hit. First suspect was the lipo. Although I was only using it to regain altitude a few times, maybe the servos sucked up mor power than I assumed.
Checked the battery (nano tech 1800mah/ 25C) still has 11.89 volts.

Ok, not the battery. Now to check out ESC and that RTF Tactic rx.......
The plane was close. At the time, about 100 yds out. Earlier in flight it was a good 300 ft high, no issue. Any thoughts on this? Obvious loss of signal.

Good thing I was low when this happened.
Update:
With the help of KRProton (thank you!) I received a call today from Hobbico Products Dept. They read my posts and suggested I re-try all of the plane's functions to see if the glitch occurred again. It's still apart on the bench since the fuse is crushed beyond use. Bench tested it and ... of course all controls worked fine. Ran it for almost 10 minutes, no glitches. They asked to call them back tomorrow to discuss next options.
Great service, I'm impressed. Recently purchased the Dynamic S from HK, came with wrong motor, story short, I had to go through PayPal to get a refund.
rabshell is offline Find More Posts by rabshell
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:17 AM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
after flying a few friends calypso's I picked one up for myself. I have a few plans for mods/setup, once I get some testing done I will share what I learn. For starters i have 4 flight conditions setup on my 8fg, reflex, camber 1, camber 2 and full flaperons for landing. I setup a friends like this and saw some good results with the one flight I got on it.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:39 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
After researching foam trainers for months (Fun Cub, Mentor, Sensei, even Twinstar II) I changed my mind completely after researching the Calypso. I'm hoping the slower flying speeds will make this a good experience with my son and for me to get back into RC flying.

This is my first foam airplane and overall I'm really impressed, I've built an Eagle 2 and Sophisticated lady years ago and was a little hesitant of foam but having a job, family, and acre+ of yard to maintain has changed that. First flight will be in a few days and I'll post results.

Radio is a Futaba 7C and although this has Any Link, I may just use the extra Futaba receiver I have on hand for peace of mind, maybe I'm worrying too much. For those on the fence, I can say that initial quality and packaging is very good. The only dent in mine is the hangar rash induced by my son handling a wing, not an issue, this thing is about the flying experience and not turning into an obsessive science project.

Thanks to those who have shared initial impressions. Take care and fly safe!
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:08 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,162 Posts
Get a Radian (original, not Pro) for primary training ... MUCH BETTER model.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, VT, Burlington
Joined Mar 2012
76 Posts
I don't know about that. My calypso is pretty awesome. I've got a lengthy review on the forums at flitetest. It is easy to fly, stays in the air forever, and is damn good looking. I am glad I bought the calypso and not a radian.
IamNabil is offline Find More Posts by IamNabil
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:18 AM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Get a Radian (original, not Pro) for primary training ... MUCH BETTER model.
Can't take anything away from the Radian, it has a very good reputation. For a beginner, yes 3 channel is easier. Is this for you or your Son to fly? This plane flies extremely gentle and with some aileron experience would be my suggestion. And yes, it looks real good in flight.

Either is a great choice. Glad to hear of your Father/ Son hobby interest, that's a beautiful thing.
rabshell is offline Find More Posts by rabshell
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:50 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabshell View Post
Can't take anything away from the Radian, it has a very good reputation. For a beginner, yes 3 channel is easier. Is this for you or your Son to fly? This plane flies extremely gentle and with some aileron experience would be my suggestion. And yes, it looks real good in flight.

Either is a great choice. Glad to hear of your Father/ Son hobby interest, that's a beautiful thing.

Thanks for the support, I checked out the Radian as well, am sure its a good model, but think the Calypso will work out too. There are so many great choices in this hobby these days. This is primarily for me to fly and eventually buddy box with my son, ailerons are not a problem for me provided the plane has trainer-like characteristics. Landing, well, that needs some work...
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,668 Posts
Well I could not wait for a RxR version so I picked up a TxR version yesterday so I can see for myself what all the hype was about. Having been a Radian owner and having flown several other pro versions I knew what they were like.

On first impression it appears to be built more solidly than a Radian mainly due to the carbon tube stiffener in the fuselage and the wings have little if any flex versus the Radian which can best be described as a "flexy flyer".

I decided to try the first flights with the stock battery and no flaps but I did setup differential and spoilerons (Futaba 7C radio). After a range check I powered up and tossed her into the wind, she proceeded to climb at about 30degs (any more and she would stall) till she reached a safe altitude. Once the motor was powered down I trimmed her for level flight (four clicks of up) and she was flying hands off.
The Calypso indicated thermals quite well and the first flight was good for 23 minutes on just the initial power up.

After the flight I checked her over and noticed play in the stab and fin so I cranked down on the screw that held them on before the next flight. I also added an aileron-rudder mix (40%) as a personal preference and moved the CG back to the spar. The second flight was done with an E-Flite 1350mah 30c battery and the climb performance was improved but still not impressive. The up trim I had added on the first flight was taken out and she flew straight and level. The rudder mix helped in thermals and the spoilerons were a big help in landing.

Overall impression? I am very satisfied with this plane and can recommend it highly as an entry into powered gliders. I will probably try the Esprit spinner and blade upgrade since the stockers don't look sturdy enough for my tastes.

Tony

P.S. anyone interested in the stock tactic receiver and anylink? PM me
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Last edited by cooper998; Sep 12, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
I'm starting to really like this plane. The main thing I did different was change the incidence of the horizontal, The rear needed to be shimmed up some. After the change I'm able to achieve level flight with little to no up elevator trim. The rudder and elevator seem to be alittle more sensitive now too, thats a plus. I'm also flying with 4 different flight conditions, 1 with alittle reflex ( really helps increase speed when tracking back and forth across the field), 1 with alittle chamber (helps slow it down while thermal hunting), 1 more with a few more degrees of chamber, and the last one is flaperons. I moved the servo pushrod closer to the aileron, this allowed me to get alot more flaps out of it. I'm probably around 40 degrees, with alittle elevator comp it comes to a complete stop and stays very stable. With that I have done it is super fun and flys great. I now like it so much I have pulled all the factory graphics off and painted my own design on it. Good ole Calypso.......Yeah, I'm from Texas :P
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:52 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,197 Posts
Glad to read its a exciting blast to fly. The way you described the fun and what you did to the plane made it feel that "I" was there*. When I receive mine, I'll try to do the same.

Can you take some pictures of your glider? Would like to see what it looks like without its typical garb.

I'm still waiting for mid October when the ARF version arrives....... bummer@#
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Bad pics but you get the idea, I just used rustoleum spray paint. Neon pink on top and neon green on the bottom and tail

Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:21 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,197 Posts
Wow! That's quite nice actually. Stunning. That neon green at the bottom is NICE! Pretty good, man..
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Thanks