SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2013, 06:21 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
901 Posts
I put my Crack Yak into a tree yesterday. My FB keeps a long extendible pole in his truck. I pulled my truck onto the park grass and stood in the bed and was able to get the plane down. The trees here have a strong attractive power over foam.
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
I've noticed the strange attraction that trees hold for foam as well, ombudsman. I flew for over 40 years without getting stuck in a tree and in the, less than, two years I've been flying foamies I've gotten stuck twice.

I tried all of my available options combining fishing poles and ladders, benedict. They just didn't quite cut it but the PVC, rope (run inside the PVC so it didn't get tangled) and hook worked beyond my expectations. Considering the fact that each component is already covered by patents I can't market my system but, as soon as I get my camera back from the (bleep!) that borrowed it I will post a thread to demonstrate how I did it. One can get a pretty impressive fishing pole, we called them "cane poles" when they were made out of bamboo instead of fiberglass or graphite, but I have a retrieval system that will work out to 40 feet for about $10.00.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 07, 2013, 10:57 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I've noticed the strange attraction that trees hold for foam as well, ombudsman. I flew for over 40 years without getting stuck in a tree and in the, less than, two years I've been flying foamies I've gotten stuck twice.

I tried all of my available options combining fishing poles and ladders, benedict. They just didn't quite cut it but the PVC, rope (run inside the PVC so it didn't get tangled) and hook worked beyond my expectations. Considering the fact that each component is already covered by patents I can't market my system but, as soon as I get my camera back from the (bleep!) that borrowed it I will post a thread to demonstrate how I did it. One can get a pretty impressive fishing pole, we called them "cane poles" when they were made out of bamboo instead of fiberglass or graphite, but I have a retrieval system that will work out to 40 feet for about $10.00.
I'm looking forward anxiously to seeing your device, though I'm sure that I'll never have any use for it. When I was teaching my FB to fly, a rather tall steel church building sucked his Slo-V onto its roof. He used his casting rod with a tie-down strap hook to get it down. I had to stand way back to spot him for that remarkable cast.
Old Sep 07, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
I'm looking forward anxiously to seeing your device, though I'm sure that I'll never have any use for it. When I was teaching my FB to fly, a rather tall steel church building sucked his Slo-V onto its roof. He used his casting rod with a tie-down strap hook to get it down. I had to stand way back to spot him for that remarkable cast.
I tried a regular ol' fishin' pole and a tire weight but only managed to shake a couple branches. I considered trying a bow and fishing arrow but, considering that I had not shot a bow in 20 years or so, I decided that the most likely outcome was to end up with a fishing arrow stuck in the tree as well. My system is pretty simple.

1. Get three or four 10 foot pieces of 3/4 inch PVC, joiners, some light cord, and a "ladder hook". (Note: 1 inch PVC or tapered sections might work better for longer lengths.)
2. String the cord through the PVC and joiners.
3. Wrap enough cord around the threads of the hook, held with some duct tape, to make for a loose fit inside the PVC.
4. Guide the hook up through the branches, with a helper feeding you the third and fourth section of PVC, until you can snag a large portion of the plane.
5. Yank! Repeat as necessary.

I think the upcoming pictures will end any possible confusion but the bottom line is that I now have the tools on hand for around $10.00.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 07, 2013, 11:30 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I tried a regular ol' fishin' pole and a tire weight but only managed to shake a couple branches. I considered trying a bow and fishing arrow but, considering that I had not shot a bow in 20 years or so, I decided that the most likely outcome was to end up with a fishing arrow stuck in the tree as well. My system is pretty simple.

1. Get three or four 10 foot pieces of 3/4 inch PVC, joiners, some light cord, and a "ladder hook". (Note: 1 inch PVC or tapered sections might work better for longer lengths.)
2. String the cord through the PVC and joiners.
3. Wrap enough cord around the threads of the hook, held with some duct tape, to make for a loose fit inside the PVC.
4. Guide the hook up through the branches, with a helper feeding you the third and fourth section of PVC, until you can snag a large portion of the plane.
5. Yank! Repeat as necessary.

I think the upcoming pictures will end any possible confusion but the bottom line is that I now have the tools on hand for around $10.00.
Sounds good. Collapsible swimming pool net poles work well and are inexpensive.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 03:11 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,865 Posts
I just received an ARF that looks like version1....
is there a best method to shim the hstab?
anything else I should be concerned about?
thanks

hope to have it lit up for e-week at Joe Nall
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Sep 12, 2013, 03:23 PM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
+1

Ed
race58 is offline Find More Posts by race58
Old Sep 12, 2013, 03:28 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Comparison: MPX Solius vs Calypso...

Just finished my Solius yesterday and maidened it. It flies very well!

My Calypso is in need of a new canopy and motor mount due to a prop failure. No fuse damage though!

I've flown the Calypso for about 2-1/2 months now, and it's an awesome glider. Very forgiving, spunky, and thermals beautifully. It just floats in too.

Comparing both, the Solius has ~1ft extra span and is shorter by ~4" or so. Weight is higher in the Solius as well.

Build quality hands down to MPX. The parts are very well crafted, and the newer Elapor foam is smoother and more solid feeling. The canopy, main wheel and spinner/prop are also nicer and of higher quality, IMO.

Now do not get me wrong: I LOVE my Calypso! It got me back into flying gliders, and I'll continue to enjoy it for many flights to come.

The Solius is more agile, and is fully aerobatic capable. (no inverted low passes done yet!) It flies smooth, cuts wind a bit better due to the weight, and cruises noticably faster than the Calypso. However, it does not have flaps, and the interior cockpit for electronics is pretty tight. That's one thing I love about the Calypso - it is a great bird with lots of room.

Check my blog for details on that one. Build is easy for the most part.

I would not class the Solius as a beginner kit, nor early intermediate. It is a definite middle intermediate minimum, mostly for flight characteristics, IMO. My power setup allows it to actually fly as a powered aircraft for up to 7-8 minutes continuous, if I so choose, and it is capable of flying VERY fast compared to the Calypso.

The "T" tail is a bit weird to get used to, since perspective makes one think that the plane is leaning away from the observer despite being level. It is also very easy to spin this bird if you're not watching. Not tip stalling per se, but over use of rudder can really make it start to corkscrew.

Landing is about 25% faster with the Solius compared to the gentle floatiness of the Calypso, and due to the higher clearance of the fuse to the wheel, rollout is longer as well. From what I have seen so far, the glide ratio is better in the Solius. Time will tell.

Smooth skies all!

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:24 PM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
Just finished my Solius yesterday and maidened it. It flies very well!

My Calypso is in need of a new canopy and motor mount due to a prop failure. No fuse damage though!

I've flown the Calypso for about 2-1/2 months now, and it's an awesome glider. Very forgiving, spunky, and thermals beautifully. It just floats in too.

Comparing both, the Solius has ~1ft extra span and is shorter by ~4" or so. Weight is higher in the Solius as well.

Build quality hands down to MPX. The parts are very well crafted, and the newer Elapor foam is smoother and more solid feeling. The canopy, main wheel and spinner/prop are also nicer and of higher quality, IMO.

Now do not get me wrong: I LOVE my Calypso! It got me back into flying gliders, and I'll continue to enjoy it for many flights to come.

The Solius is more agile, and is fully aerobatic capable. (no inverted low passes done yet!) It flies smooth, cuts wind a bit better due to the weight, and cruises noticably faster than the Calypso. However, it does not have flaps, and the interior cockpit for electronics is pretty tight. That's one thing I love about the Calypso - it is a great bird with lots of room.

Check my blog for details on that one. Build is easy for the most part.

I would not class the Solius as a beginner kit, nor early intermediate. It is a definite middle intermediate minimum, mostly for flight characteristics, IMO. My power setup allows it to actually fly as a powered aircraft for up to 7-8 minutes continuous, if I so choose, and it is capable of flying VERY fast compared to the Calypso.

The "T" tail is a bit weird to get used to, since perspective makes one think that the plane is leaning away from the observer despite being level. It is also very easy to spin this bird if you're not watching. Not tip stalling per se, but over use of rudder can really make it start to corkscrew.

Landing is about 25% faster with the Solius compared to the gentle floatiness of the Calypso, and due to the higher clearance of the fuse to the wheel, rollout is longer as well. From what I have seen so far, the glide ratio is better in the Solius. Time will tell.

Smooth skies all!

SkyCadet
Thank you for the nice review comparison... I was thinking of getting that Solious as well.. ZBut I think i'm gonna stay with the Calypso until I totally master that plane in the ALES contests...
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:40 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
No worries, Rip.

IMO, I'd bet the Solius would do very well in ALES.

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:43 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2006
273 Posts
I want to transport my calypso.it's it ok to take the tail apart our am I asking for trouble ? That plastic ginger that goes into the rudder worries me.I was planning to use the original box. maidened yesterday.still getting used to it.like it so far.can't decide if I like my radian more though.seems nimble in comparison but the motor is much more anemic.
bladefan is offline Find More Posts by bladefan
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:49 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
I've taken the tail off several Calypsos several times for transport - right back in the original box as you said!

Just thread the clevis retainer screws back into the clevises for safe keeping so they'll still be there when you put it back together.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:55 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Ohio View Post
Took my crooked beat up Calypso Glider out yesterday and the air was perfectly calm. A series of things have come about since I have been flying at this over grown grassy park. First I have to contend with the trees and mosquitoes. I despise bugs and it seems no matter how much spray I put on it does not seem to matter. It is more like marinade than repellant. I can live with that I guess. I was flying there the other day and a guy came up to me and stated that flying at this park or any other park associated with the city was illegal. I thought to myself why? There is no one here just me the bugs, trees, occasional dog walker and some people hanging out in their cars in the parking lot. So I looked up the park regulations online and could not find anywhere that it stated that flying remote control aircraft was prohibited. There are a series of forums that seem to confirm this but nothing factual. So, it was put to the test yesterday. I was gliding around and a park ranger pulled up next to where I was standing and I thought well here comes the end and I waited for some interaction. He sat there a bit and watched me circle the field and then left. Next was a city police officer and I thought well this must be it then. He sat there for a few minutes and then he left. Hmmm. Then there was a fellow on the bench and after I landed he came over and said he used to fly "real" gliders. How cool was that. I told him what that gentleman told me and he laughed. He then informed me that if I encountered such a situation like that again to refer him to the sheriff's office where he worked, that I was breaking no law, for me to have a nice day and enjoy what I was doing. So fly on I shall. I figure that it was some guy from a local club whose numbers are down trying to force people like me to fly in an organization. For reasons like those above it is not for me. G
I enjoyed your story.

Nicely written and entertaining.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2013, 05:18 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2006
273 Posts
Thanks Tim!
bladefan is offline Find More Posts by bladefan
Old Sep 13, 2013, 06:01 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,865 Posts
after spending a few hours emailing and calling Tower I learned the Calypso ARF in version 1 only and no plans to convert to version 2. I didn't want a plane with discontinued spare parts so back it goes to Tower.

may have to get the Rx ready....V2
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience