HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2013, 05:47 PM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I normally climb to 400 - 1100 ft depending on my mood. Still very easy to see / fly at 1100 ft altitude.
I envy good eyes
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2013, 05:53 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
I guess I don't understand why it says it's not interchangable with the origional tho

Here's my response from Hobbico. Pretty much non sympathetic and tells me it wasn't thought of when designed. You have to spend $30 and some of your time if you break the mount. It's a shame for such a great flying sailplane.

Thank you for your recent email,

Unfortunately, you have to cut out the old motor mount. The best thing to do would be to replace the fuselage.

Sincerely,
Josh S.
Air Support
HS8081
rabshell is offline Find More Posts by rabshell
Old Jul 08, 2013, 06:31 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
I guess I don't understand why it says it's not interchangable with the origional tho

Edit
rabshell is offline Find More Posts by rabshell
Old Jul 08, 2013, 10:10 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leddhedd View Post
For reasons I prefer not to think about, I have a couple of motor mounts from the Calypso. I've pulled them out of fuselages, so they've still got the glue on them, but they're yours if you want them. PM me and let me know
As long as you have them in hand, could you measure the outside diameter of that motormount for me? I am interested in whether I might be able to use one to replace the motor mount in my 2M Hobbyking Minimoa. The Minimoa's nose is about 35mm inside diameter. I see these Calypso motormounts are only about $5 so if it is close to the right size I might just order one and see if I can kludge it.

And, do they look pretty much like the one shown at Tower (below)?

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Jul 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2013, 10:19 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabshell View Post
Here's my response from Hobbico. Pretty much non sympathetic and tells me it wasn't thought of when designed. You have to spend $30 and some of your time if you break the mount. It's a shame for such a great flying sailplane.

Thank you for your recent email,

Unfortunately, you have to cut out the old motor mount. The best thing to do would be to replace the fuselage.

Sincerely,
Josh S.
Air Support
HS8081
My question was the v2 fuselage that they sell now (and which I have) the note says it isn't to replace the v1 fuse. That's the way I read it but I don't see what would not be compatible. But since you have the motor mount out I don't see why you don't fashion a plywood doubler epoxy it in drill the mount hole pattern and put it back together. You might need longer 3mm screws is the only problem I see. Ace hardware has the screws and five minute epoxy. It would then be the last piece of that plane to ever break.
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Jul 09, 2013, 05:59 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post
My records on the Calypso is 35 mins so far with a single 1300 mAh battery. (a 1300 mAh battery gives me 4-minutes of full throttle and when landing the bat is 75-80% used)
Now for LMR all I need is 30 secs total motor run so I may be able to operate with a much smaller battery. Of course this throws the CG to heck... nothing is simple huh?
I put in mine a RC Timer 2826-10, 1400Kv 205W motor (50g), which is running a 44mm aluminum spinner with 11x6 blades. Climbs out great! I can fly easily 35-40 minutes on a 1300mAh, 3S with NO available lift (climb up, glide down several times) or my record to date is 1h40m only due to some fatigue (not used to focusing on a small glider at 600'!)

I still had 28% battery after that flight, which was two climbs up and then a third before finally being able to find lift. Motor fits the mount just fine, and runs fairly cool if used intermittently. I run mine using the Heli mode with throttle curve so that up to 50% thottle (on my DX6i) and then the following for the throttle:

0-50%: 0
75%: 50%
100%: 75% (to avoid overloading motor - runs at 250W on WOT), not needed anyway...

15-20s climbout can easily reach 200 feet, at 66% throttle, which is really like about 40% due to the curve. 30s in wind maybe. I use a Turningy AE-25 ESC in lieu of the stock 18A unit. Awesome combination....

With the new motor, blades, etc. My CG sits right AT the CF spar location with my 1300 Zippy Lipo about 3/4" from the velcro front.

Darren/SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Jul 09, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
As long as you have them in hand, could you measure the outside diameter of that motormount for me? I am interested in whether I might be able to use one to replace the motor mount in my 2M Hobbyking Minimoa. The Minimoa's nose is about 35mm inside diameter. I see these Calypso motormounts are only about $5 so if it is close to the right size I might just order one and see if I can kludge it.

And, do they look pretty much like the one shown at Tower (below)?

Gord
Yes, they look exactly like those at tower, except they're covered with glue residue. The outside diameter is 34.25 mm, not counting the tabs that extend from the sides. If you measure across the tabs, it's 48.1 mm.
leddhedd is offline Find More Posts by leddhedd
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:05 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leddhedd View Post
Yes, they look exactly like those at tower, except they're covered with glue residue. The outside diameter is 34.25 mm, not counting the tabs that extend from the sides. If you measure across the tabs, it's 48.1 mm.
Thank you! That sounds just about perfect. I will order one today. Chop off those tabs and it should be easy to make it fit in the MiniMoa. Will also need to cut the mount off just in front of the motor mounting surface, but that is what Dremels are made for!

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Jul 12, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:41 AM
Stone Mountain, GA
Joined May 2007
409 Posts
Hobbyking Spoilers?

Anybody have any experience installing Hobbyking Spoilers?

I had programmed CROW braking, but the loss of real aileron control is a little disconcerting.

Thanks!
dgfinch is offline Find More Posts by dgfinch
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:57 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfinch View Post
Anybody have any experience installing Hobbyking Spoilers?

I had programmed CROW braking, but the loss of real aileron control is a little disconcerting.

Thanks!
I use flaperon and the rudder for direction
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:04 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
1800 ft Personal altitude record

1800 ft according to the onboard SBS-01A (Atmospheric Pressure Sensor)
Amazing!
That is my absolute limit. Any higher I would lost sight of the plane my eyes cannot handle any more.
Orientation is a huge problem that high. I did several loops trying to descend because telling the attitude (position) of the plane was very hard and it disoriented.
Last edited by ripacheco; Jul 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 03:24 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Finally contest took place ...

They put the pure gliders and the motor gliders in the same category...
Pure gliders used the winch, the motor gliders used the motor for 30 seconds....

Oh well could have been worse... Ended third ... From the bottom... Hehe
Pilot skills not where there should be yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post
These are our club rules for the LMR competition

30 second motor run

7 minute duration. 1 point for every second in the air up to 7 minutes. -1 point for every second in the air after 7 minutes

Spot landing, 0-100 points depending upon the distance of the nose of the aircraft from the spot

Zero landing points if aircraft turns over

Zero landing points for a "crash" meaning a piece of the airplane comes off the aircraft

Zero points for the round if you land off the field (in the trees, on the tarmac)

We fly multiple rounds, typically four or five
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:55 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Sep 2005
177 Posts
I'm getting ready to backorder the Rx-R version of the Calypso and I have a few questions before I order.

1. Will the Calypso I backorder from TH be the V2 version I have seen referenced in this thread? From what I've gathered, this version corrects the horizontal stab incedence problem, correct? I would prefer the V2 version.

2. I'll be using a JR 11X and I want to run aileron and flap servos independent (no y-harnesses.) The manual calls for a 6" extension for the flap servos if you're using a y-harness; my questions is, will the aileron wires reach the Rx without the y-harness, and will the flap wires reach the Rx with just 6" extensions? From the manual pictures it looks like it would be close. My thinking is that I'll need longer than 6" extensions for the flap servos, and add 6" extensions to the aileron servos, is this correct?

v/r
SargeAF
SargeAF is offline Find More Posts by SargeAF
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,594 Posts
Hi, Sarge. I am almost certain that Tower will get the v2 but it's not terribly hard to fix the tail incidence. I think the aileron leads and 6" extensions for the flap servos will give you enough length.

BTW. I noticed that Esprit Models has the Rx-R version in stock but I don't know if they have the V1 or V2 fuselage. One could probably find out with a phone call.

http://www.espritmodel.com/calypso-1...-rx-r-rtf.aspx
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:19 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Sep 2005
177 Posts
Thanks Peter.

I have had very favorable experience with Esprit Models, but I have a gift certificate for Tower and don't mind waiting a bit for it (late July.) I have a few other projects I need to complete in the short term anyway...lol!

Thanks for the info though.

Sarge
SargeAF is offline Find More Posts by SargeAF