HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2013, 06:54 AM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netarc View Post
flew my new calypso this weekend, it's a pure joy - very floaty, great little performer. Was doing loops on the 2nd flight ... didn't try any rolls yet, curious to see whether it'd do that.

One thing - I started out with an 1800mah battery, with which it performed great; when I switched back tot he 1300mah battery, I had to push the battery all the way forward in the hatch AND add a couple of lead weights in order to get the glider to balance at the recommended points - not a big deal, but just kind of surprising that the stock battery wouldn't allow for the recommended balance on its own?
My thunderpower 1350 mAh battery balances the plane being pushed all the way to the front

my Cheetah 1300 mAh battery needs to be pushed a bit back.
Otherwise it balanced well within the range indicated.
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2013, 06:55 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
flew my new calypso this weekend, it's a pure joy - very floaty, great little performer. Was doing loops on the 2nd flight ... didn't try any rolls yet, curious to see whether it'd do that.
Did you find the recommended throws to be "too much" when you first started flying the plane?
Old Jun 03, 2013, 09:43 AM
Joined Apr 2013
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post
Did you find the recommended throws to be "too much" when you first started flying the plane?
Not at all...Plane was responsive, but not twitchy. I tried first low, and then high rates of my tx.

I started the flaps mod, and I'm thinking to move the aileron servo rods from the 1st (farthest) hole on the servo horn to the last (closest) to account for the lessened surface area, since with flaps the aileron loses 1/3 of its length. Thoughts?
netarc is offline Find More Posts by netarc
Old Jun 03, 2013, 12:08 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
If u have a Computer radio have the flaps move with the ailerons.
If u don't them u will have to compensate more
BUT
keep in mind that the closest to the wing the less effective ailerons are so you prob won't miss much aileron authority
Old Jun 03, 2013, 12:11 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2011
943 Posts
Quote:

One thing - I started out with an 1800mah battery, with which it performed great; when I switched back tot he 1300mah battery, I had to push the battery all the way forward in the hatch AND add a couple of lead weights in order to get the glider to balance at the recommended points - not a big deal, but just kind of surprising that the stock battery wouldn't allow for the recommended balance on its own?
Flew Calypso second time, the maiden (with 2200 mAh battery) ended with crash. Have to push 1300mAh battery all the way to the front. At the recommended CG, she was not floaty at all. Had to continuously push throttle more than 70% to maintain altitude. I flew at about 50', how about you? Stock ESC was extremely hot at the end of 4 min. flight.
GTstrudl is online now Find More Posts by GTstrudl
Old Jun 03, 2013, 12:49 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTstrudl View Post
Flew Calypso second time, the maiden (with 2200 mAh battery) ended with crash. Have to push 1300mAh battery all the way to the front. At the recommended CG, she was not floaty at all. Had to continuously push throttle more than 70% to maintain altitude. I flew at about 50', how about you? Stock ESC was extremely hot at the end of 4 min. flight.
Keep in mind that because of the way they work, ESC will get hotter a low power settings than at full power.

When I fly the calypso I go full-power climb to altitude and then I shut the motor off. When I've lost too much altitude I repeat the drill. My ESC never gets more than slightly warm.
Old Jun 03, 2013, 12:50 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
The CG range is very generous. I have to admit though I do not have it close to the rearmost of the range. I have it square the middle or slightly forward.
Old Jun 03, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
943 Posts
Quote:
Keep in mind that because of the way they work, ESC will get hotter a low power settings than at full power.

When I fly the calypso I go full-power climb to altitude and then I shut the motor off. When I've lost too much altitude I repeat the drill. My ESC never gets more than slightly warm.
So how high in you case?
Old Jun 03, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Oct 2011
943 Posts
Quote:
The CG range is very generous. I have to admit though I do not have it close to the rearmost of the range. I have it square the middle or slightly forward.
Me too.
Old Jun 03, 2013, 01:08 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
So how high in you case?
I climb as far up as I feel comfortable. Your eyes tell you so.
I let the model go down to about 20 feet then I apply power and climb back up. Trying to catch thermals.
Old Jun 03, 2013, 01:49 PM
Joined Oct 2011
943 Posts
Quote:
I climb as far up as I feel comfortable. Your eyes tell you so.
I let the model go down to about 20 feet then I apply power and climb back up. Trying to catch thermals.
Got it. I'll try this way on my next flight. Thanks
Old Jun 04, 2013, 10:02 PM
Joined Oct 2011
943 Posts
Fuselage set has already discontinued on TH site. So quick ?
Old Jun 04, 2013, 10:55 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Fuselage set has already discontinued on TH site. So quick ?
Just the V1
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Jun 05, 2013, 09:48 AM
United States, FL, Zephyrhills
Joined Jun 2011
121 Posts
Per telemetry, I go up to 500ft. I may go higher when I become more comfortable but that is about it for now.
Willie T is online now Find More Posts by Willie T
Old Jun 05, 2013, 10:26 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Per telemetry, I go up to 500ft. I may go higher when I become more comfortable but that is about it for now.
Good eyes to see this glider that high