SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2013, 04:21 PM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
757 Posts
I've had the same thoughts. I will probably try both. Hopefully I'll remember to post my results!
I am also thinking of using a 1KV motor with a larger prop.
ForeverFlying is offline Find More Posts by ForeverFlying
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2013, 04:51 PM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlying View Post
I've had the same thoughts. I will probably try both. Hopefully I'll remember to post my results!
I am also thinking of using a 1KV motor with a larger prop.
U have to be careful. you are using a bigger moptor and bigger prop and you are trying to use a smaller battery
somehow that doesn't make much sense to me
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Old May 16, 2013, 05:27 PM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
757 Posts
Same size motor, just a lower KV to run slower. Bigger prop to increase efficiency (more thrust).
ForeverFlying is offline Find More Posts by ForeverFlying
Old May 16, 2013, 05:58 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
421 Posts
900mah 3s Hyperion worked for me...no nose weight needed. But, I have more weight in nose by the fact I installed the aluminum spinner recommended by Esprit Models. I highly recommend that spinner...it is much more durable than stock.

That said, I didn't like how the plane flew with the lighter battery and fly exclusively with the 1300mah 3s. I like the balance of float/penetration/maneuvering capability with the 1300mah.

-Randy
Westranm is offline Find More Posts by Westranm
Old May 16, 2013, 10:01 PM
Greensboro Pa USA
Joined Apr 2008
432 Posts
What's this business about wing strut clamps? I only have the screw thats built into each wing. Is there something wrong with the factory wing spar now?

Hemicuda
HEMICUDA is offline Find More Posts by HEMICUDA
Old May 16, 2013, 10:51 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMICUDA View Post
What's this business about wing strut clamps? I only have the screw thats built into each wing. Is there something wrong with the factory wing spar now?

Hemicuda
i guess some people didn't like the screws pushing into the carbon fiber spar.
just need to turn those screws gently not too much people apply too much pressure there for no reason
Old May 16, 2013, 10:53 PM
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Jan 2005
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMICUDA View Post

Hemicuda
No nothing wrong, someone asked how the wing rod clamp works so I posted a photo in post 765. The clamp is embedded in the wing so all you see is the screw through the little hole. The screw doesn't push on the rod it tightens the clamp. My wing is a new replacement wing but I assume it's been that way since the calypso came out.
trex is offline Find More Posts by trex
Last edited by trex; May 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:19 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trex View Post
No nothing wrong, someone asked how the wing rod clamp works so I posted a photo in post 765. The clamp is embedded in the wing so all you see is the screw through the little hole. The screw doesn't push on the rod it tightens the clamp. My wing is a new replacement wing but I assume it's been that way since the calypso came out.
i remember watching a video review were they indicate the screw pushes into the rod... i may be wrong... either way it doesn't have to be over tight
Old May 17, 2013, 12:05 AM
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Jan 2005
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post
i remember watching a video review were they indicate the screw pushes into the rod... i may be wrong... either way it doesn't have to be over tight
The video is a 2 Brothers Hobby review. I think they assumed it pushed on the rod. You are right it doesn't need much pressure to hold. It's a very good design and should last the life of the plane as long as you don't over tight the screw.
trex is offline Find More Posts by trex
Old May 18, 2013, 08:36 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,851 Posts
I built mine as an arf. The screw tightens the clamp. It makes no contact with the rod,
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old May 19, 2013, 06:48 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,089 Posts
Whatever the system is, I like it -- saw it as one of the plus points for the Calypso.
On another (most popular) forum here we've gone to almost ridiculous lengths to secure the wings in the fuselage; I immediately thought of it, & how elegant a solution this would've been. It even caused me to explore some possibilities with dry-wall anchors. Unfortunately, the right-shaped ones are too long for half the wing's thickness :: back burnered.

If there's a downside, it's the ability of the screw to go in too far & it easily strips. On one side of mine, first mounting, about the time it started feeling like it was starting to tighten things up, the threading around the screw stripped. I was rather shocked how easily it happened.
To cure, I CA'd that stripped wing to the spar at the clamp, & only secure & release the other wing during setup/takedown for transport. Works for me.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; May 19, 2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:40 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Weekend Flying

Flew the Calypso Saturday and Sunday.
Saturday I was teaching my 5 y/o to fly. Using a buddy box and he had only the ailerons channel enabled. Average flight with him trying to kill the glider all the time was 8-10 minutes.

Sunday. I went to fly on my own trying to get maximum duration flights and learning to catch thermals. Flights were 20-30 mins.

Single 3050 mAh battery used in all these flights.

My record on this glider is 38mins. its all in catching thermals. Motor is run only to climb nothing else.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:43 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Spoilers vs Ailerons

I didn't cut the ailerons to install flaps. Instead I programmed my radio to use flapaerons. This worked fine.

Someone suggested I tried spoilerons instead. (Get both ailerons go up simultaneously upon using a slider control radio).

This works much better for me. When spoilers are deployed the glider's sink rate increases dramatically. Putting the spoilers back in gives you an "instant lift". This is not the case with the flaps which may cause the glider to stall when you put the flaps back up.

I still n eed to install the vario sensor to see how high up i'm going.
Old May 20, 2013, 01:28 PM
Joined Jun 2011
117 Posts
I am loving this plane...Staying about 500ft for now.....Handles very nice without any bad habits....
Willie T is offline Find More Posts by Willie T
Old May 20, 2013, 01:43 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,305 Posts
I setup a FPV hatch option and used it on Saturday. So easily installed uninstalled. Just add a different hatch and plug into the 3s battery. I had it up to 650 feet and about a mile away, need to becarefull of climbing to steep as you have no horizon as a reference. Bt it flew nicely in the strong wind. I took off and landed in LOS, landed before on FPV but not at the local park. So I took the safty option of landing LOS.

Really need to add a rth unit as a safety net as its fairly easy to loose track of where you are also without OSD it's hard to get a feel for speed or reference. So will also add OSD as another lesson learnt.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk