HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2013, 05:57 PM
Disaster Waiting To Happen
United States, NY, Pleasant Valley
Joined Jan 2013
283 Posts
Well it looks like my Calypso is going to be grounded for the time being due to battery issues.

I still only have the cheapo charger that came with the plane and I'm getting the error code (both green and red flashing) on each of my 4 battery packs. Guess I'm gonna have to fork over some coin for a "real" charger.

This blows!
kingsixx is offline Find More Posts by kingsixx
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2013, 06:11 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsixx View Post
Well it looks like my Calypso is going to be grounded for the time being due to battery issues.

I still only have the cheapo charger that came with the plane and I'm getting the error code (both green and red flashing) on each of my 4 battery packs. Guess I'm gonna have to fork over some coin for a "real" charger.

This blows!
Do you know someone (with a better charger) who could see if you have a battery issue? Perhaps the batteries are over-discharged?
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old May 10, 2013, 06:13 PM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
773 Posts
They should offer a "bare bones" version for all of these type planes; without motor, servos, or anything electronic or electric. They always use the cheapest components available!
ForeverFlying is offline Find More Posts by ForeverFlying
Old May 10, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
283 Posts
Unfortunately I don't since none of my friends are into this hobby. I could be wrong but I don't think that ALL of the batteries are over discharged. Reason being is that I've only taken the plane out once and went through 3 batteries. Out of all those flights none were longer than 10 minutes because I wasn't sure how much flight time I had so I played it safe.
Old May 10, 2013, 06:20 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
828 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't since none of my friends are into this hobby. I could be wrong but I don't think that ALL of the batteries are over discharged. Reason being is that I've only taken the plane out once and went through 3 batteries. Out of all those flights none were longer than 10 minutes because I wasn't sure how much flight time I had so I played it safe.
Never mind. I started to post without finishing reading your post. sorry. Good luck. I recently bought a Quattro 4X6 charger from Hobby King (~$100 incl. shipping from the U.S. warehouse) and really like it. You do have to buy 3 more balance boards (or cables) to use it to charge four batteries at once. Very nice charger, though.

Dave
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old May 10, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlying View Post
They should offer a "bare bones" version for all of these type planes; without motor, servos, or anything electronic or electric. They always use the cheapest components available!
Flyzone Calypso Glider EP ARF 73"
$89.98
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCGNK&P=SM

Flyzone Calypso ARF Manual:
http://manuals.hobbico.com/flz/flza3006-manual.pdf

REQUIRES:

Radio: 4-5 channel
Servos: Four micro servos
Motor: 28mm brushless outrunner
Electronic Speed Control: 18A
24" (610mm) Servo Extensions: Two for aileron servos
LiPo Battery: 11.1V 1300mAh
LiPo Battery Charger
Spinner and Folding Propeller
Y Harness to mix ailerons (if radio does not have electronic mixing)
Shoe Goo type glue to glue in servos
Threadlocker and 1.5mm hex wrench
Logic1 is offline Find More Posts by Logic1
Old May 10, 2013, 09:47 PM
Guy
Canada, ON, Georgetown
Joined Aug 2012
76 Posts
V2 has arrived

So here is the info I've been able to come up with.
I now have my new Calypso after the first one dug in from 1200 ft. The fin has V2 stamped in it and the shim is built into the stab. See photos attached of the old one and new. I measure it at 3/16" approx. or 4.5 mm. That's way more than I had shimmed my first one so no wonder I still needed up elevator for a good L/D.
Because I'm going to be using full mixes, camber/reflex, differential ailerons with rudder mix, elevator with motor I'm going with a seperate BEC from CC rated at 10amp max. I just don't trust the included ESC now for radio power and it will only power the motor. This weighs 14gm.

Took the wheel out of the old one, weighs 10gms. Might just lose that weight in the new bird.

Also as mentioned before there is 14gms of lead glued into the tail skid. I might dig that out too but I'm going to wait till I fly it as I will be balancing the CG at a quarter inch behind the spar to start with. Seemed to indicate lift pretty good there and was not hard to control but with the crooked tail I could not get a dive test that was accurate.

One other thing I noticed is that the aileron push rods are getting caught on the plastic fairings because they are not lined up with the center of the rod and for me they are to far towards the back of the wing. I've cut a slit in the foam to move them forward a bit and put a piece of foam in along the side to better center them and glued them back in. Lots of clearance now.

Putting the Winged Shadow vario and altimeter back in too so can't wait to get it all hooked up and out to the field again.
gvdl1 is offline Find More Posts by gvdl1
Old May 11, 2013, 06:40 PM
Joined Jan 2013
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post
Thanks for the warning. Thankfully the Hitec HS-55 is a drop in replacement. $8.00 ea at my LHS.

I got a pair hoping to put flaps on the bird. But with the help of my radio I setup flaperons and I'm very happy with that setup. I will keep the hitec servos for when the flyzone servos start giving up.
Hey ripacheco, how did those servos work out for you over the stock ones? I'm looking to overhaul my Calypso a bit being that I'm grounded waiting the arrival of my charger. I figure servos and swapping out the ESC were good places to start.

Do these HS55s fit in the same hole at the stock ones? Or did you have to cut up the foam a bit?
Old May 11, 2013, 07:24 PM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
I was going to put ailerons using the HS 55 but I found it easier to just program my radio with flaperons was just way easier.
The stock servos has been working alright for me
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Old May 11, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Jan 2013
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post
I was going to put ailerons using the HS 55 but I found it easier to just program my radio with flaperons was just way easier.
The stock servos has been working alright for me
So can I assume that those HS55s are not a direct fit/replacement for the stock ones?
Old May 11, 2013, 09:54 PM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,655 Posts
Quote:
So can I assume that those HS55s are not a direct fit/replacement for the stock ones?
They are. I just haven't used them.
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Old May 12, 2013, 11:48 PM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
773 Posts
Wing Rod Clamp

Hi Group!
Does anyone know how the wing rod clamp works? I would assume it is a split piece that pulls together and clamps the rod? I wonder how big it is?
Has anyone had it to fail at any point?
Thanks!
Mike
Old May 13, 2013, 12:02 AM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Mar 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Hi Group!
Does anyone know how the wing rod clamp works? I would assume it is a split piece that pulls together and clamps the rod? I wonder how big it is?
Thanks!
Mike
It is just a plastic split clamp that is about 3in long and cast/glued into the wing, for that to fail the wing would be destroyed first.

Isaac
Victrix is offline Find More Posts by Victrix
Old May 13, 2013, 12:05 AM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
773 Posts
Thanks guy!
Old May 13, 2013, 06:35 AM
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Jan 2005
61 Posts
Quote:
Hi Group!
Thanks!
Mike
The wing strut clamps are very well designed and should not give any trouble. There only job is to keep the wings together. The thick foam of the wing that encapsulates the rod gives the wing it's rigidity, all in all a very good setup.
trex is offline Find More Posts by trex
Last edited by trex; May 13, 2013 at 06:49 AM.