HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:50 AM
Riley Winglow
Belt, Montana
Joined Feb 2007
289 Posts
Rabshell........... Thanks for the report. I wonder if someone can give a good comparison of the super slow end of the flight speeds compared to say, the Radian. Sounds like it is floaty. I am looking for something like this, and I want to be able to fly really slow in calm evening air in a smaller space.

Maybe using a tiny bit of flaperon on those long ailerons, so they act like camber? Has anyone tried this? How did it handle?

Riley
oneniner is offline Find More Posts by oneniner
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:06 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,113 Posts
Thanks for the advise and report Rabshell. I'm pretty sure a 2200mah won't be an issue with your spects. Very nice, 40mins in the air....I'm looking forward to that. That souds like my maiden with the clouds fly. I was up about 45 mins to an hour with the 2200mah batt. I'm definitely sure that the calypso can out float the smaller clouds fly without even trying.
I also purchased the Anylink for my DX6i from eBay. Just $25.00 free shipping. Can anyone tell me if the calypso was to also come with the rx with all setups?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Last edited by G-LO; Aug 26, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:34 AM
United States, AZ, Oracle
Joined Jun 2007
52 Posts
Tail flexing?

Still awaiting the ARF release. Could someone who has flown the Calypso please comment on the tail strength vis-a-vis the Radian Any noticeable flexing of the rear fuselage in moderate wind or strong thermals?
DLG fan is offline Find More Posts by DLG fan
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,521 Posts
Second time out with the friend's Calypso.

We shimmed the trailing edge of the horizontal stab with a 1/16" piece of steel, about 4 grams, and it flies much better now that it's within the trim range of the elevator but we will have to move the CG forward a bit and/or use some reflex to penetrate much wind. I'll break out the incidence meter and report back since I don't know if this is a common problem or just a little variation in molding and assembly.

I haven't flown a Radian, oneniner, but the Calypso is very, very, good at small circles in no lift. I have held it in a circle of no more than 50 feet without losing much altitude. I don't see any great need for changing the camber to make it float more but we are looking forward to adding the flaps for glide slope control.

For DLG fan. My buddy lost orientation and did an inadvertent split-s with no sign of undue tail flex. It seems plenty solid enough within the normal speed range.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Last edited by peterlngh; Aug 26, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
One Niner,

In theory, the Radian should be a tiny bit floatier. The wing loading is in the 6ish oz range, where the Calypso is in the 8oz range. However, there are Radian pilots that ballast it up to the 8-10 oz range for breezier days. I haven't yet flown a Calypso, but I believe the opportunity is near. I have flown both a standard Radian and the Radian Pro. My above comments are for the Standard. I think the Calypso should fly much better than the pro. I wasn't too impressed with my pro, but love the way the Radian flies. I also used to have a EZGlider. I think it was a bit heavier than the newer models, and didn't thermal as well in light conditions.

As far as camber, I don't think it would hurt to try, but the effects are probably minamal. I do think that spoilerons / flaperons would be worth the time to program. I set my Radian Pro up as a powered sailplane on my 9303, like my composite sailplanes. I didn't feel the results were worth all the time it took to program it. I think those thick foam trailing edges aren't effecient enough for that. I'm sure there are many foam sailplane pilots that will argue with that, but that was my impression.

Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Last edited by rycomm; Aug 26, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:05 PM
Riley Winglow
Belt, Montana
Joined Feb 2007
289 Posts
Thanks Ryan and Peterlngh. Good info. I think I'm going to get a RX ready Calypso on backorder at Tower. It appeals to me more than the Radian, though I have not flown anything similar except an Easy Glider.

I built and flew an Art Hobby Sky EV for a while, but it was not really what I want. Pretty fast, but it sure would go up! Had more trouble keeping it low enough to see than anything....

My flying and landing areas are pretty small and rough, and I want something lighter, slower, and more relaxing.

Riley
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,521 Posts
You're welcome, Riley.

I think you will like the Calypso. Keep an eye on Esprit models. They might get them in before Tower. I think the flaps would be a worthy addition from the start for a "small and rough" field. Spoilerons work but it's a challenge to get enough throw. I think that flaps, with or without "crow" mixing, would allow one to bring it down like an elevator. I'll report back when we get them added to my friend's.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:23 PM
Riley Winglow
Belt, Montana
Joined Feb 2007
289 Posts
Thanks Peter. Makes sense, and is easy to do. Keep us posted.

Rileyt
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,521 Posts
I'll soon have a report on repairs as well. My friend sneaked out on his own and, after two successful flights, went full bore into a tree. It broke the nose off but didn't crunch any foam, aside from a ding in the canopy, that I noticed so it should be an easy fix. Oh well, it gives a good reason to paint the canopy fluorescent orange to give it a little "flash" in the sun. Does anyone have a preference between epoxy and Gorilla Glue for this particular foam? I just ordered some "foam safe" CA but we will probably want the Calypso back in the air before it arrives.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:45 PM
Independence MO.
Joined Mar 2007
11 Posts
catastrophic prop failure.

I took the Calypso to the field Sunday, perfect weather for a maiden flight.
planes CG was spot on with a SKY LIPO 11.1 v 1800 mAh battery. Set the
throttle at 1/2 a gentle toss the plane pulls away slowly but starts to gain
some altitude, about 5 seconds into the flight a POP, the canopy flies off
and the prop is clearly out of balance. I throttle down and bring her in for a
gentle landing in the grass. What happened? the very small screw that
the prop blades pivot on sheared off, the head of the screw was still in the
yoke but the threaded part of the screw and blade are no were to be found.
Also the torque tore the fuse I have ordered the folding prop from
Esprit. I wont trust the Hobbyco prop again. I contacted Hobbyco warranty
dept today, E-mailed them some photos and my invoice and in less than
30 Min's I had a reply they are sending me a new fuse/canopy & folding prop.
Can't complain about that. For any of you have a Calypso with the original
prop please be cautious the screws are very small and threaded all the way
up the shaft and must be weak. I should have the new prop this week I'll let
you guys and gals how it works out.
drmwmc is offline Find More Posts by drmwmc
Last edited by drmwmc; Aug 27, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:38 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,113 Posts
Drmwmc, I'm relieved to hear that hobbico will be sending you some replacements. I was wondering if that was going to happen with this prop. The same thing happened to me years ago with the "splash 80".

When I receive mine, I'll see what I can do about reinforcements.

Hey, let us know when you receive your extra parts.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
Drmwmc, Sorry about the mishap. I think I'll check my prop before I fly again!
-
I wanted to report back with some poor quality videos of my Calypso flights 3 and 4.

Flight test Flyzone Calypso (7 min 55 sec)

The plane was balanced OK as far as I could tell but the trim was way too far forward. If I let go of the elevator, the plane would go into a dive. This issue is me and the radio and not the plane.
seabass1005 is offline Find More Posts by seabass1005
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,521 Posts
Don't be so sure, seabass. On my friend's Calypso we had to add a 1/16" shim under the trailing edge of the horizontal stab. I could not add enough up trim to make it fly level on the maiden. It's much better now but could probably still use a bit more.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:56 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,377 Posts
I guess I got a good one as I have not had a prop or trim issue with mine. At first I tried it with a 2200 3s pack and I did need a lot of up trim but when I used a 1300 3s pack it flew much better and the trim was back to almost neutral on the radio.

I did get a couple good flights with it last night. It was late and there was not much for thermals but with the light 3-5mph breeze this thing stayed aloft quite easily. I do feel the stock prop is a bit lacking in the climb rate but it is sufficient for the lazy flying I do. If I was to enter an LMR competition I'd want a faster climb though.

What I do like is how much more solid the airframe feels compared to the original radian. With the screw locks on the wings and the tube in the fuse it does not feel as flexible as the Radian. It feels much more solid.

I'm excited to get more time on it and get out on a real thermal type day to have some fun.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,521 Posts
Hail from a fellow Minnowsnowtan, Vintauri. I'm in West Saint Paul.

I agree. The climb is adequate but nothing to brag about. It does float well and I think that getting it down will be a challenge when we get it into good lift. It's possible that the trim "issue" happened during assembly. After looking it over I noticed that he didn't have the hold down bolt as tight as I would do it. I'll see if getting it tighter changes the tail incidence enough to account for the difference.

My friend accidentally ordered a couple 2 cell batteries and I have a 12X6" prop on the way so we will give that a try. We're also going to test the motor with a 10X6" and 3 cells. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to run through a whole battery with WOT but it should be O.K. for bursts since the stock prop doesn't seem to be anywhere near the limits of the motor and ESC.

Cheers!