HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:05 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,177 Posts
Yeah, me too. Just ordered the motor and flap kit over the weekend. I forgot the ARF doesn't come with the motor like most foamies.... oh well. Meanwhile, I'll be seeing y'all have fun before I get mine in September
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
I just purchased the Calypso. It was packaged nicely and simple to put put together. Looks great. I haven't flown it yet and can't wait to do so. I never purchased a glider before so I don't have any experience in what constitutes a good / solid design.
-
I'm concerned about the single screw that holds the elevator/rudder to the fuselage. I'm not sure just how tight I can (or should) drive the screw in! I'm worried that I'll torque the screw right through the tail section and wreck the thing. Anyone else with the Calypso have comments on this? (I haven't broken it.. yet)
seabass1005 is offline Find More Posts by seabass1005
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:48 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,177 Posts
Anymore updates....anyone?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Aug 2012
4 Posts
Maiden Flight went smoothly

Using the supplied 1300mAH battery, I got more than 5 minutes and less than 10 minutes in the air. Plenty of power to gain altitude. Glides great. Easy to control. Smooth handling. Needs flaps for landing in smaller fields. Likes to float on landing. I had to cycle around the park to the opposite side to get it on the ground. I'm use to flying a Stryker which is a rocket compared to a sail plane. You can just dump that right by your feet when landing.
-
This was the first time flying a sail plane so maybe it's possible to get more air time out of that battery. I have some 2200 mAH batteries. I'll use one of them next time. Just be sure to check your CG.
-
Bottom line... I LIKE IT!!!
seabass1005 is offline Find More Posts by seabass1005
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
Congrats on the maiden, seabass. I'll be helping a friend set up and try out his Calypso over the next week or so and will get back with any help I can think of. Just looking it over I would say that, with some practice and a little lift, you should be able to get substantially longer flights. Will your radio allow flaperon/spoileron mixing? It can prove to be a great help landing on smaller fields without having to install flaps. I generally prefer spoilerons (ailerons up) but I think the Calypso has enough area outside the ailerons that flaperons won't cause too much tip stalling. I'll let you know how it goes when we get it in the air.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:43 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,177 Posts
I wonder if there will be any need for reinforcements? More than likely... I'm thinking of a few.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:52 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
Calypso upgrade
(1) BB 45/3/8mm folding spinner
(1) Aeronaut 9x5 folding propeller
Question. What would the advantage of having an aluminum spinner as appose to a plastic? Isn't the plastic be more resilient?

2nd question. I have a 9.5x8 folding prop and a 30amp esc, will that setup improve the performance somewhat?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
I flew the maiden on my friend's Calypso this evening and I could not be more impressed. We need to do a little trial and error to get the CG and decalage figured out but it floats, and floats, and floats, as well as most anything I've flown. I even caught a little bubble of lift on the second landing approach and did about five climbing turns that were no more than 30 feet in diameter. One word? Outstanding!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Aug 2012
7 Posts
Calypso vs Radian or Radian Pro

Airman74 - were you able to fly the calypso over the weekend?

If so, how does it compare to the radian and the radian pro?

Anybody else have any experience they could share?

I'm thinking of purchasing one a calypso but the guy at the hobby shop keeps recommending the Radian Pro (I have a Dx6i). The reviews are generally positive about the radian but are somewhat mixed about the pro. I'm hoping that a Calypso with flaps and mixing will fly as nice as the radian but will be able to get into smaller landing spaces using crow like the radian pro.

thanks for any help you can provide
Gizmonovak is offline Find More Posts by Gizmonovak
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:35 PM
Independence MO.
Joined Mar 2007
11 Posts
The big brown truck brought my calypso today. I assembled the plane
this evening, using a Nano-Tech 11.1 v 2200 mAh lipo the cg is right on
the spar. I will maiden the plane tomorrow.
drmwmc is offline Find More Posts by drmwmc
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:53 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,177 Posts
Drmwmc, I hope you'll give a good report as Peter had. I'm looking forward to it.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
Hi, drmwmc.

I found that I needed a lot of up trim with the cg on the spar. Be very careful with your first tests and either have someone else throw it or take advantage of a small rise! There's about a 12 foot gentle hill on my field and I used all of those 12 feet on the first test launch! Then I found it's a little over sensitive with the recommended elevator throw.

It takes a lot to make it stall so I would suggest about 1/16" of up trim and a hearty throw at about 5 degrees nose up. It shouldn't dive much if it needs more up and you will have plenty of time to shove the nose down if you need down. Just don't do my usual technique of about 2-3 degrees nose down! I came very close to a lawn dart with neutral trim and cg on the spar.

It's also possible that the odd need for up pitch was the result of the assembly. We still haven't actually checked it with the incidence meter yet but it looks like it's properly seated. But? We are going to shim the horizontal stab before we add tail weight. I should be able to report sometime tomorrow.

Just to be clear: The pitch problems were no barrier to awesome flight characteristics over all. It's just not quite ready to hand over to a guy who hasn't flown anything in years and never flew with ailerons. I was 100% confident with it after two test glides and a 50% throttle launch. I pulled the nose to about 20 degrees up and canned it and was able to hold a decent, not spectacular, climb. It takes forever to come down and after many 50ft spirals I ended up using the prop as a brake as well as spoilerons. We will be installing flaps soon but moved the aileron pushrods to the innermost hole on the control arm so we get as much spoiler deflection as possible. I'll have to cut the end points way down and add some expo but that's how I like gliders.

Good luck and have fun. This plane will float with the best of them.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:11 PM
Independence MO.
Joined Mar 2007
11 Posts
Maiden Flight Postponed

Decided to hold off on the maiden flight today, It was a bit breezy for my taste
here in the heartland. I'll wait for a better day. As for the 2200 mAh LiPo
I was only trying to see if the Calypso would balance with a larger battery.
I have some 3 cell 1800 mAh on order from Hobby Partz,
I think they will work well. peterlingh thanks for the advise
I appreciate it,thanks.
One question: do you think the C.G. is measured from the internal spar
or the spar that can be seen on the bottom of the wing? looking at the
instructions I believe it is the one that can be seen. also I noticed that there
is a carbon tube in the fuuz. I'll let you know how it flies with the 1800 mAh
after the maiden.
drmwmc is offline Find More Posts by drmwmc
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,758 Posts
Yeah. I'm pretty sure they are talking about the visible spar. We're going to try shimming the tail a bit and then try small weights if needed. It's not far off and flies beautifully but it's just not quite hands off yet. I'll post the results as we get it dialed in.

Cheers!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:35 AM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Picked up the RTF Calypso a few days ago at the LHS. Couldn't wait for the ARF. Been researching for a while, narrowed it down to an Easy Glider Pro, Radian Pro and Calypso. Very satisfied with the Calypso. COG is critical, I am using the 6.5mm in front of the wing spar. Further back seems nose heavy. Take a chair, this one floats forever and I'm just learning thermal flying! Second flight with 1800 lipo gave me 40 minutes airtime! Build quality is very good. Assembly is super easy and quick. Stock motor has plenty of power, easy 60 degree climbs. Supplied Tactic radio is very entry level. They throw in a free Anylink which works fine with my Dx6i. Tactic rx range is good, but the one inch antenna lead scares me a bit. Took it up 300-400 ft. with no issue. May drop a sat rx in for comfort level.

Considering CF support for the tail rudder and elevator. Stock mount holds it good, but due to it's length above support, there is some movement and may not take bumps too well.

Looks terrific in the air, wing loading is perfect for what I wanted. Ordered the flap kit, but sits down very nicely with a headwind without it.

5 out of 5 stars for me ! Great plane Flyzone.
rabshell is offline Find More Posts by rabshell