HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:03 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
2,203 Posts
I would not trust the "Anylink" for a sailplane. The old rule of thumb is "as far as you can see it" and a 2 meter glider can be seen at a very long distance even if your eyes are as old as mine. I would definitely recommend going to a "full range" receiver for the Calypso.

Re: hinges. It's very simple to replace a foam hinge with packing tape. There are many mentions all over RC Groups but i could give a quick lesson if anyone needs it.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:08 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,337 Posts
I suppose the question is what is the range with the Tactic receiver? I believe they claim them to be full range. They have two new transmitters coming out, one of which is an 8 channel. I suspect there will we another rx to support it. Seems like they would be missing some market if they only intend this system for park flyers. I am pretty sure it is sold as a combo with some of their nitro trainer offerings though. Any one have knowledge of this system?

By the way, I finally was able to maiden the Calypso this afternoon. It is a little underpowered with the stock prop and my lower kv motor. Still a very nice floater though. I don't have the programming all worked out. I have the new 14sg and am still learning.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:39 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2013
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I would not trust the "Anylink" for a sailplane. The old rule of thumb is "as far as you can see it" and a 2 meter glider can be seen at a very long distance even if your eyes are as old as mine. I would definitely recommend going to a "full range" receiver for the Calypso.

Re: hinges. It's very simple to replace a foam hinge with packing tape. There are many mentions all over RC Groups but i could give a quick lesson if anyone needs it.
I might need that. I'll try searching.

The CA repair worked fine. But it was really gusty yesterday and I wound up putting the thing in a bunch of vines/bramble about 10 feet up. I got it down but ripped the aileron I had just repaired in the process! I collected the pieces and glued/taped the thing back together. I had ripped half of the aileron off completely.

Will likely fly this afternoon and maybe I can get a pic of the damage

As far as radios go.. I have been really happy with the Frsky module and Rx with a turnigy 9x. The whole setup was about $100 and I have never had a range problem. It has telemetry and the transmitter will start beeping when the signal gets low. Never heard it beep in flight, only on ground range tests which have convinced me its more than capable.
dell30rb is offline Find More Posts by dell30rb
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:57 PM
Registered User
Puerto Rico, MayagŁez
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Hi! just an onboard video from my Calypso. A friend and I were trying to get footage of his Cessna Corvalis (also from Flyzone) but as you can see there were a couple of really close calls! The camera I use is a Turnigy Mini DV with 2megapixels...mounted under the wing at the cg and close inboard to the fuselage....video is not nearly as good as a GoPro but it gets the job done!

Flyzone Calypso chasing a Flyzone Cessna Corvalis (8 min 56 sec)
HARD DRYVE is offline Find More Posts by HARD DRYVE
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:50 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
10 Posts
Flying a Calypso in 2008????
jafra98 is offline Find More Posts by jafra98
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:50 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2006
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafra98 View Post
Flying a Calypso in 2008????
I am sure it is just that the Date and Time in the camera is not set current!
delperena is online now Find More Posts by delperena
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:09 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
StarHopper44's Avatar
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,447 Posts
Pretty neat vidi, HD! I love the idea of a big ol' glider soaring around way up there, & swooping down on the 'lesser' planes at will. *LOL*
But what is that horrendous 'clack' sound we hear in several spots?!? First one, I thought you must've struck the Corvie or something.....with the timing it sounded like a prop strike. Never heard anything like that coming from my Calypso, & hope I never do!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 08:29 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Jan 2013
92 Posts
So much for the CA repair job, I banged the rudder on the ground yesterday and it nearly tore off again. This time I cleaned the edges and added it back with CA hinges, hopefully this will survive better! I also trimmed the rudder to prevent this from happening again since it does protrude some.
tmaxxtigger is offline Find More Posts by tmaxxtigger
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:14 PM
Registered User
Puerto Rico, MayagŁez
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Pretty neat vidi, HD! I love the idea of a big ol' glider soaring around way up there, & swooping down on the 'lesser' planes at will. *LOL*
But what is that horrendous 'clack' sound we hear in several spots?!? First one, I thought you must've struck the Corvie or something.....with the timing it sounded like a prop strike. Never heard anything like that coming from my Calypso, & hope I never do!
HAHAHA!! Ok about the noise...That turnigy camera no matter how well I try to set it up before each flight she usually does whatever it wants. I mean it has a setting for sound activated recording or it can record normally manually. I know how to do it (pressing mode twice) but like I said the camera does what it wants. This time she recorded 5 or 6 - 2 minute segments. The clack you hear is the beginning of each segment when the camera gets activated by noise and starts recording (I joined all the segments into a single video with the editor and usually between segments you can hear that noise)
Thankfully my Calypso is alright though'!!
-Wow! I didn't know how to put into words the feeling I got while filming this...but that swooping down on the 'lesser' planes you said... is Spot On!!
HARD DRYVE is offline Find More Posts by HARD DRYVE
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:58 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
StarHopper44's Avatar
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,447 Posts
This a li'l OT (from another but very similar glider) but, couldn't help but be reminded. One of our club's junior members was flying one of those Harbor Freight P-51's (actually, they fly pretty darn smartly, if you get past the looks ) and I had my P2K ready for launch. He announced he was gonna "shoot me down" and it wouldn't be that hard, being such a "big target". I quipped back, "Oh, you want a little air-to-air combat huh?" Launched & laid down hard on the climb -- in like 30 seconds I's up about 600' & in another 15, had hit 1005' (on the EagleTree). I shut the motor down, & said "OK, come get me".

What was even more funny was, he tried. But his plane kept getting too small - he was flying it out of sight trying to get up to me. And need I tell you what I did to him, repeatedly, when he'd bring it back down?
(The 'swooping down on' covers it nicely *LMAO*)
I'm sittin' here right now grinning, thinking of us out there like a couple of fools making machine gun noises with our mouths.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:31 PM
Registered User
Puerto Rico, MayagŁez
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
This a li'l OT (from another but very similar glider) but, couldn't help but be reminded. One of our club's junior members was flying one of those Harbor Freight P-51's (actually, they fly pretty darn smartly, if you get past the looks ) and I had my P2K ready for launch. He announced he was gonna "shoot me down" and it wouldn't be that hard, being such a "big target". I quipped back, "Oh, you want a little air-to-air combat huh?" Launched & laid down hard on the climb -- in like 30 seconds I's up about 600' & in another 15, had hit 1005' (on the EagleTree). I shut the motor down, & said "OK, come get me".

What was even more funny was, he tried. But his plane kept getting too small - he was flying it out of sight trying to get up to me. And need I tell you what I did to him, repeatedly, when he'd bring it back down?
(The 'swooping down on' covers it nicely *LMAO*)
I'm sittin' here right now grinning, thinking of us out there like a couple of fools making machine gun noises with our mouths.
That's Cool!!!!
*"Eagle Tree" ... Do you have FPV on your Calypso or just Telemetry/Logger?
HARD DRYVE is offline Find More Posts by HARD DRYVE
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:40 PM
Registered User
Puerto Rico, MayagŁez
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
This a li'l OT (from another but very similar glider) but, couldn't help but be reminded. One of our club's junior members was flying one of those Harbor Freight P-51's (actually, they fly pretty darn smartly, if you get past the looks ) and I had my P2K ready for launch. He announced he was gonna "shoot me down" and it wouldn't be that hard, being such a "big target". I quipped back, "Oh, you want a little air-to-air combat huh?" Launched & laid down hard on the climb -- in like 30 seconds I's up about 600' & in another 15, had hit 1005' (on the EagleTree). I shut the motor down, & said "OK, come get me".

What was even more funny was, he tried. But his plane kept getting too small - he was flying it out of sight trying to get up to me. And need I tell you what I did to him, repeatedly, when he'd bring it back down?
(The 'swooping down on' covers it nicely *LMAO*)
I'm sittin' here right now grinning, thinking of us out there like a couple of fools making machine gun noises with our mouths.
That's Cool!!!!
*"Eagle Tree" ... Do you have FPV on your Calypso or just or one of those micro sensors?
HARD DRYVE is offline Find More Posts by HARD DRYVE
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:38 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
StarHopper44's Avatar
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARD DRYVE View Post
That's Cool!!!!
*"Eagle Tree" ... Do you have FPV on your Calypso or just Telemetry/Logger?
Telemetry/Logger
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:10 PM
Registered User
Puerto Rico, MayagŁez
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Telemetry/Logger
Cool! I would like to have FPV in my Calypso...would help in my "chase" videos
HARD DRYVE is offline Find More Posts by HARD DRYVE
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:34 PM
Registered User
Puerto Rico, MayagŁez
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Another onboard video from my Calypso:

Onboard my Calypso RC Glider (8 min 7 sec)
HARD DRYVE is offline Find More Posts by HARD DRYVE
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Flyzone Calypso george@dream-flight Electric Sailplanes 44 May 26, 2013 10:01 AM
For Sale Flyzone cessna 182 ep rtf 2.4 radio mike robson Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Apr 07, 2012 08:23 PM
Discussion How to set up and trim an EP glider JJ460 Electric Sailplanes 2 Mar 24, 2012 08:27 PM
Wanted Wanted, Electric flightnose cone for Calypso contest F3B glider graham johnson Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 06, 2008 04:35 PM