SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:21 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
KRProton's Avatar
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid View Post
Anyone know how to setup the break on the motor? Mine decided to stop breaking when pulled back to idle.
Here's a link to the ESC instructions:
http://manuals.hobbico.com/flz/flza3000-tech.pdf

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:26 PM
Registered User
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Hit a big snag with the build. I am almost finished, just trying to sort out a prop since the arf doesn't include one. Noticed the motor seemed loose. Turns out the mount has cracked. Trying to figure out a way to repair it. I wonder if it is serviced. Weather is good tomorrow and was hoping to maiden. Oh well....
You can fix it tonight and fly tomorrow. I don't know how yours is broken, but after looking at mine I can't see how it could take longer than a few minutes. I hope you get'er done.

Good soaring!

Dave
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:30 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
KRProton's Avatar
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Hit a big snag with the build. I am almost finished, just trying to sort out a prop since the arf doesn't include one. Noticed the motor seemed loose. Turns out the mount has cracked. Trying to figure out a way to repair it. I wonder if it is serviced. Weather is good tomorrow and was hoping to maiden. Oh well....
I apologize for your broken motor mount and the inconvenience.

Couple of things you could do, but difficult to tell which is best as I do not know how/where your mount is cracked...

If you have to get your Calypso airborne tomorrow (I fully understand the drive to do so), and depending on the nature of the crack, I wonder if you could just reinforce with glue? If this is possible, I'd use CA as it won't hurt the foam that the rest of the fuselage is made from.

Or, you could call Product Support at the number in your instruction manual and see how they can help. Of course, this won't get you airborne right away. They might be able to send you a new mount. I bet you could extract the existing one without too much difficulty. Worst case scenario they replace your whole fuselage.

Gimme a PM if none of those options are acceptable or if Product Support cannot send you a mount. I may have one kicking around my workbench somewhere.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:38 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Sukhoikid's Avatar
Joined Jun 2006
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Here's a link to the ESC instructions:
http://manuals.hobbico.com/flz/flza3000-tech.pdf

Tim
Thanks! That will help.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:56 PM
Registered User
G-LO's Avatar
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,133 Posts
I called the product Support number when they forgot to include the prop assembly. They asked for my invoice number and sent me another one in a few days.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:42 AM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
I apologize for your broken motor mount and the inconvenience.

Couple of things you could do, but difficult to tell which is best as I do not know how/where your mount is cracked...

If you have to get your Calypso airborne tomorrow (I fully understand the drive to do so), and depending on the nature of the crack, I wonder if you could just reinforce with glue? If this is possible, I'd use CA as it won't hurt the foam that the rest of the fuselage is made from.

Or, you could call Product Support at the number in your instruction manual and see how they can help. Of course, this won't get you airborne right away. They might be able to send you a new mount. I bet you could extract the existing one without too much difficulty. Worst case scenario they replace your whole fuselage.

Gimme a PM if none of those options are acceptable or if Product Support cannot send you a mount. I may have one kicking around my workbench somewhere.

Tim
Thanks Tim. I appreciate the help.
Jay
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:38 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
StarHopper44's Avatar
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
I called the product Support number when they forgot to include the prop assembly. They asked for my invoice number and sent me another one in a few days.
They're good like that. And the main reason they're one of the few companies I enjoy dealing with.

+++
Pushing a week now & nothing heard -- any news or more 'gossip' on this V2?
Anybody?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:20 AM
Registered User
Valencia, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaxxtigger View Post
Much better with the Frame mount on the GoPro, flies almost "normal":

https://vimeo.com/61273499
Nice video. You can sure feel the weight difference huh?
You can see how hard the calypso stalls in your video. Especially with the extra camera weight.
mstuck is offline Find More Posts by mstuck
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:54 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Calypso wing spar screw stripped

My left wing spar screw is stripped, unable to tighten it against the spar. Anyone else have this problem? If so, is there a fix for it? I guess Velcro between the fuse and the wing would work, but would prefer an easy fix for the screw without purchasing a new wing. And no, I did not over tighten it. Just snug it up.
rabshell is offline Find More Posts by rabshell
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:07 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
tkallev's Avatar
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabshell View Post
My left wing spar screw is stripped, unable to tighten it against the spar.
Vinyl tape
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:07 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
KRProton's Avatar
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,771 Posts
Any chance it's the threads on the screw, not the nut inside the wing?

If it's the screw, just replace it with a new one.

If the nut is stripped, there's a plastic retainer/clamp with just an ordinary hex nut built in. So if the threads on the nut are stripped that would have to be extracted. If you wanted to go this route I'm thinking it would be really easy to do using an, oh, 1/4" brass tube sharpened on the end to cut a hole through the top of the wing, removing the plug, then taking out the nut and replacing it with a new one. Then, just glue the plug back in.

If you're interested in trying that I can practice on a wing at work, tell you how it works and pinpoint the precise location where to cut the plug.

Or, if you don't want to mess with all that, another option would be to glue the tube/spar into that wing half.

P.S. Here's a link to the ARF manual that showes that plastic clamp I'm talking about...
http://manuals.hobbico.com/flz/flza3006-manual.pdf


Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:16 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
2,618 Posts
Hi, StarHopper44.

I have not flown the Calypso as much as I would like but I have not found it to be disappointing overall. I would say that it is maneuverable and "floaty" with an adequate climb. It's better than my Specter 1800 in dead air or flying the tiny bubbles of lift that come off the local baseball diamonds. The only down point I have found is wind penetration after the initial tail incidence and cg adjustment.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:34 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,901 Posts
V2 fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
They're good like that. And the main reason they're one of the few companies I enjoy dealing with.

+++
Pushing a week now & nothing heard -- any news or more 'gossip' on this V2?
Anybody?
I spoke with Hobby services Friday about my cracked mount(sending new fuse) and also asked they about the V2. They said it is a change in the tail with the horizontal stab so I assume it is a fix for the incedence issue.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:36 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Any chance it's the threads on the screw, not the nut inside the wing?

If it's the screw, just replace it with a new one.

If the nut is stripped, there's a plastic retainer/clamp with just an ordinary hex nut built in. So if the threads on the nut are stripped that would have to be extracted. If you wanted to go this route I'm thinking it would be really easy to do using an, oh, 1/4" brass tube sharpened on the end to cut a hole through the top of the wing, removing the plug, then taking out the nut and replacing it with a new one. Then, just glue the plug back in.

If you're interested in trying that I can practice on a wing at work, tell you how it works and pinpoint the precise location where to cut the plug.

Or, if you don't want to mess with all that, another option would be to glue the tube/spar into that wing half.

P.S. Here's a link to the ARF manual that showes that plastic clamp I'm talking about...
http://manuals.hobbico.com/flz/flza3006-manual.pdf


Tim
Good info. Thanks KRP. the screw doesn't want to come out, so it may be stripped in the nut. I'll attempt the minor surgery as you mentioned.
Again, thanks for the excellent CS.
rabshell is offline Find More Posts by rabshell
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:43 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Sukhoikid's Avatar
Joined Jun 2006
771 Posts
Test flew my second Calpyso today. This one has the flap set. I put in regular flaps and I have a crow setting on there. You can take this bird and go really high and dive it straight down with the crow activated and it slows right down to land. Very fun to do and mess with! Its a good idea to put ail to rudder mix when it is activated though so you can control the roll better.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Flyzone Calypso george@dream-flight Electric Sailplanes 70 Jul 03, 2014 07:20 PM
For Sale Flyzone cessna 182 ep rtf 2.4 radio mike robson Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Apr 07, 2012 08:23 PM
Discussion How to set up and trim an EP glider JJ460 Electric Sailplanes 2 Mar 24, 2012 08:27 PM
Wanted Wanted, Electric flightnose cone for Calypso contest F3B glider graham johnson Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 06, 2008 04:35 PM