HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:20 PM
Guy
Canada, ON, Georgetown
Joined Aug 2012
76 Posts
I just got back from testing everything. Put the A9 in the glider and loaded up the sensors with voice. Posted in the radio section but thought it might be of interest here. Light wind, -6C, great flying. Up to 600 feet today, experimented with camber/reflex. How High Altimeter and thermal scout working great, A9 working great. Still had almost a 30 minute flight with 5 run ups. Happy customer with all products.

I do have both sensors plugged into the blue sensor station and really like the voice for altitude and battery pack. I set the battery pack to 3.4 volts/cell today due to the cold, when the alarm sounded and I landed the battery showed 34% remaining and 3.8 volts per cell. Difference in voltage due to being under load I'm assuming.
gvdl1 is offline Find More Posts by gvdl1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:39 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,199 Posts
What is A9 and the sensor with the "voice"? Thanks *
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:58 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,669 Posts
Anybody hear of a new "V2" Calypso in the works? just saw some V2 parts soon to be available at Tower.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ypso&search=Go
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:42 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
853 Posts
Calypso Arizona (3 min 6 sec)

Finally settled in Arizona. My airplanes came in yesterday and got to fly the Calpyso some more!
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:21 PM
Guy
Canada, ON, Georgetown
Joined Aug 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
What is A9 and the sensor with the "voice"? Thanks *
Sorry G-LO my fault for not being specific. I just installed the Hitec Aurora 9 radio in my glider with their voice unit for telemetry. You can set it up to speak back at various rates different telemety information. Hitec has a telemetry sensor station that you can connect various sensors to. Currently I have connected the battery pack voltage (direct to receiver) and the Winged Shadow How High Altimeter and Thermal Scout (vario) to the sensor station. The voice module sits on the transmitter and I have it set to give me voice readouts of the battery pack voltage (with low voltage warning that is user defined) and altimeter readouts. I have the vario set in the transmitter to signal lift depending on the voltage output of the vario. You can adjust the sensitivity to your liking and I turn it on and off with a switch.
When at the field I do like others have suggested here and turn the vario on while scouting the sky using a search pattern after determining where I think there may be lift. When in lift I turn it off, also when in lift I practice flying right through it, turning the vario off and going back and finding the lift without the vario, just watching the glider. All these things are certainly helping me and thanks to all here that comment. Learning lots.
gvdl1 is offline Find More Posts by gvdl1
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
It's soaring 101 but bears repeating, gvdl1, and telemetry adds a whole new layer to the art of soaring.

1. Pull the nose up and slow down when in lift. This can be done in a straight line, in the core of a thermal, or using a thermal like a dynamic lift source as shown in my very crude diagram. The narrow end of the "egg" is a climbing turn while the fat end is level or even sinking a bit to get maximum lift to drag.

2. Almost all gliders will achieve their minimum sink rate at a lower speed than their maximum lift to drag ratio. Once again. Fly slow to go up and fly fast to cover ground. Pull up when your plane is rising and let it speed up when it's sinking.

I think it took me about 20 of my 40 years of flying RC gliders to really understand those axioms. It is a bit counter intuitive but provides a great "ah-ha!" moment when it makes sense.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:54 PM
Valencia, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
69 Posts
Has everyone just stuck the go pro mount directly to the wing?
Has it held good enough?
I'm worried about how well it will adhere to foam. Any ideas?
mstuck is offline Find More Posts by mstuck
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:42 PM
United States, OH, Sylvania
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuck View Post
Has it held good enough?
I mount my Gopro on many of my foam airplanes. The mount sticks to foam just fine, as long as it is bare foam. If the foam is painted, you have to remove the paint,or else the mount won't stick well. Also best to use the flat based sticky Gopro mount. First time I ever flew the go pro camera, I used the slightly curved mount. Mistake. Only the outer edges of the mount stuck. My plane landed and my Gopro camera goes rolling down the runway. No damage at all though. That plastic case the Gopro rides in is tough
Matt
mkrochmaln is offline Find More Posts by mkrochmaln
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:49 PM
United States, OH, Sylvania
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Has it held good enough?
I also have used this 3m Velcro to mount my go pro:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scotch-All...Clear/17693167
mkrochmaln is offline Find More Posts by mkrochmaln
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:48 PM
Valencia, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
69 Posts
well it worked pretty good. I put the cam on top on the wing
so it would be more out of danger. Also i didnt want to use
the housing to save weight.

Go Pro - Santa Clarita (1 min 43 sec)
mstuck is offline Find More Posts by mstuck
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:57 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Oct 2004
31 Posts
Quote:
well it worked pretty good. I put the cam on top on the wing
so it would be more out of danger. Also i didnt want to use
the housing to save weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o0h9ARp0Vs
Hard to believe you're allowed to fly so close to houses over there!

Good footage though, (have a Calypso here but not put it together as yet - soon!)

Got a pic of the camera mounting?
nadg63 is offline Find More Posts by nadg63
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:57 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Sep 2012
146 Posts
Yes Cooper998 Yes, The Version 2 Parts are starting to show up on several sites! Thank you Hobbico Thank you. Maybe all the email is working? We also spoke to the Hobbico Reps at the AMA show last month concerning the Calypso issues we've experienced.
Guardian7 is offline Find More Posts by Guardian7
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:23 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,199 Posts
Does the V2 parts looked the same? In what way are they really different/revised? Couldn't find any pictures or information.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:16 AM
....left up, right down !!!
United States, OR, Depoe Bay
Joined Nov 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian7 View Post
Yes Cooper998 Yes, The Version 2 Parts are starting to show up on several sites! Thank you Hobbico Thank you. Maybe all the email is working? We also spoke to the Hobbico Reps at the AMA show last month concerning the Calypso issues we've experienced.
Guardian, you're teasing us. So...... what did the reps say? Did they tell you much about the issues and / or this "version 2"? Inquiring minds want to know.
ory69 is offline Find More Posts by ory69
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:12 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,732 Posts
Woah! Yeah.......what's this Ver2?????????
Must see LINKs!!!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member