SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:42 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,085 Posts
Put a cap on it.
I have a box I save 'blisters' from that type of packaging, in....all kinds of interesting shapes of course. Usually isn't hard to find something I can slip on & hold with tape, etc, & do some experimenting.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:46 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
No affront taken, Lacquerhead. My only point was that the Calypso, with a thick airfoil, would be classified as "poor to fair" on my scales re: wind penetration and speed retention. It will handle fairly strong winds but one will burn a lot of altitude to cover much ground. Now, on a scale measured against foamies with thick airfoils, it would score a lot higher.

On a related note: I wonder how much drag the wheel causes. My buddy has already "aged" his fuselage to the point where he has an extra on hand and I've been thinking it would be interesting to carve the wheel out of his old one and smooth the bottom of the fuse. I have a sneaking suspicion that it would cause a noticeable difference.
Absolutely agree on all points. It penetrates better than most other foamies I've seen that can also thermal (not hotliners of course) but no where near as good as wooden or composite models. Drag reduction would be key here. If the fuse wasn't quite so roomy it wouldn't have as much drag due to reduction in frontal area and would also serve to help our nose heavy problems.

I've contemplated removing the wheel as well. While its nice to have it is a big block of drag. I doubt removing it would cause any structural problems that couldn't be solved with a piece of wood glued into slots on the fore and aft edged of the hole. I don't know that it would make a huge difference by itself but many small changes such as closing the scoops on the front and closing the outlet could make significant differences. Obviously you wouldn't want to make those changes on a plane that is on the motor most of the time but if you're only on power for 30 seconds at a crack and soaring most of the time it shouldn't matter. My ESC doesn't report any significant increases in temperature and the temp sensor floating in open air inside the fuse doesn't give my any indication there is a large build up of heat. I'll move that sensor to be immediately behind the motor before making that final judgement. I'm also running a 10x6 prop on it now but I haven't had an opportunity to do much testing yet.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:59 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,085 Posts
Oom....that reminds me I haven't run my EagleTree in the Calypso yet, & need to get some performance data recorded. Too hectic 'round here lately, between the holidays & new stuff clamoring for its share of time & dancing around wind/weather issues. Dannnng....come to think of it I haven't flown in 3 weeks now! Won't today either; 20+mph winds predicted & it howled & rained Saturday. Our club has a BlackEyed Peas cookout every year on Jan 1st that always turns into a fly-fest so, need to check Wx for Tuesday & start cookin' up some LiPos to use I guess!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Sep 2012
133 Posts
Yahoo, my neighbor and I both received Christmas Calypso's from Santa, at first look the design appeared similar to the Multiplex Easy Glider Pro. During assembly one plane had a stripped elevator servo right out of the box, then an Aileron Servo stripped on the forth flight causing it to crash, close inspection showed the clevises were overtightened on the aileron horns from the factory. Two days later the rudder servo stripped on the other plane causing it to crash too, close inspection showed a stripped gear just like the servos on the first plane. All Servos have now been replaced with Tower Pro MG90-S and new fuselage was ordered for the other Plane. One of the Calypso's also received a Hacker A20-22L Motor, 10X6 Graupner Blades, and 45X3X8 BB Spinner, the Hacker motor with the larger 10X6 prop did not provide as much improvement as hoped but the plane did climb better once we used a 30C battery. The real surprise was the Plane floated noticeably better due to reduced weight of the Hacker Motor over stock providing increased flight time! Next the Hacker A20-20L will be tested which may prove a slightly more powerful choice, we'll be installing the Hacker 20-20L very soon so stay tuned.

PROS; Locking screws for the wing spar, fuselage reenforced with large spar, decent spinner/prop combo, very nice looking bird, Easy to remove wings for transport, and very nice flight characteristics make an extremely enjoyable flyer.

CONS; Very cheap servos, shims required on the horizontal stab for proper elevator adjustment, the plastic motor mount is glued inside the front nose section and only utilizes two of the four mounting screws allowing increased leverage/damage upon nose impact, impact to the spinner causes the motor mount to shatter and cannot be replaced individually, the purchase of a whole new fuselage may be required or you could install a circular wood mount after shaving out the weak stock mount. I'm sad that Hobbico/Flyzone Engineers did not do a better job designing a motor mount which could be replaced if damaged. Maybe someone will find a way to improve this area?

Recommend replacing all 4 servos before failure leads to crash.
Box the battery compartment with carbon fiber rod.
Shim Horizontal Tail Stab for proper elevator adjustment.
Add some thick CA to motor mount edges & seams.
Add packing tape on Wing leading edges.
Run at least 30C Battery.
Reduce weight any place possible.
Guardian7 is offline Find More Posts by Guardian7
Last edited by Guardian7; Feb 15, 2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:18 PM
Guy
Canada, ON, Georgetown
Joined Aug 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
What are you doing to move the CG back? I've got a 1300mAh pack pushed all the way up against the wheel well and mounted laterally but I still seem to need quite a bit of up trim. I'm contemplating cutting out some foam at the front edge of the wheel well to move the battery even further back.
Well a little more info now for all. I did the tail mod and this is what I found. Before the mod I measured the incidence and found .9 degrees for the stab. After the mod it looks like zero degrees or maybe .1 degrees but it's very hard to get a good reading as the elevator foam is very flimsy and that makes it hard to get an accurate reading. My empty weight (no battery) is 26.4 oz..
With the battery as far back as it will go I still balance just at the back of the spar. Before adding any tail weight I wanted to fly it to see how it trimmed out. Went out today (-6C), damn cold and a stiff wind blowing but wanted to give it a try. Hard to get a good glide in the wind but I still needed a few clicks of up elevator but not near what was needed before. Will have to do more tests in calmer air later but it seems much better than before. Once that is done will get to testing flight characteristics with different CG's. Can't wait.
gvdl1 is offline Find More Posts by gvdl1
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:37 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
I've removed the wall of foam that's is in front of the servos as far back as I could, until I could barely see the wheel through the wheelwell foam. That little bit of room does help out in moving the cg back as needed.

Needless to say, I even proped a 2200mah from the batt floor on against the wall between the tips of the servos. But of course enuff where the servo arms can move without obstruction.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:50 PM
Guy
Canada, ON, Georgetown
Joined Aug 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
I've removed the wall of foam that's is in front of the servos as far back as I could, until I could barely see the wheel through the wheelwell foam. That little bit of room does help out in moving the cg back as needed.

Needless to say, I even proped a 2200mah from the batt floor on against the wall between the tips of the servos. But of course enuff where the servo arms can move without obstruction.
How far back of the spar can you get by taking that foam out?
Thanks for giving that a try!
Wonder about removing the wheel and opening that up a bit and putting the battery in there
Would need a cover of some kind, but it might be possible. Just thinking out loud on this one.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:45 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdl1 View Post
Well a little more info now for all. I did the tail mod and this is what I found. Before the mod I measured the incidence and found .9 degrees for the stab. After the mod it looks like zero degrees or maybe .1 degrees but it's very hard to get a good reading as the elevator foam is very flimsy and that makes it hard to get an accurate reading. My empty weight (no battery) is 26.4 oz..
With the battery as far back as it will go I still balance just at the back of the spar. Before adding any tail weight I wanted to fly it to see how it trimmed out. Went out today (-6C), damn cold and a stiff wind blowing but wanted to give it a try. Hard to get a good glide in the wind but I still needed a few clicks of up elevator but not near what was needed before. Will have to do more tests in calmer air later but it seems much better than before. Once that is done will get to testing flight characteristics with different CG's. Can't wait.

Nice write-up Gvdl1. One thing I've thought about for measuring incidence but haven't tried yet is a couple of pieces of clear tubing (could be rigid poly or the sort) joined to form a U. Fill with colored water and adjust as necessary to set the zero angle on the wing. Water will make this easy and consistent. A second U with water is used to measure the horizontal stab. A little geometry will give you answers as accurately as you can measure. Suggest a steel ruler marked in mm and you can estimate easily to a 1/2 mm.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Last edited by Lacquerhead; Jan 02, 2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:33 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Calypso CG

I am having trouble with the CG on my Calypso. I had to add weight to the nose to get the plane to balance at the spot 1/4" in front of the spar as the manual states. My first flight was a disaster. When I got the plane in the air it was very nose heavy when I tried to land it nosed in and broke the fuselage in half. I was able to glue it back together. On the second flight I removed the weight and balanced the plane using the wing tube as the center point. Again it was way nose heavy and again I nosed it in trying to land. I have ordered a new fuselage and motor having ruined them. I don't want to make the same mistake again when I get it put back together. I am really a novice at this so I am not ruling out pilot error. Can any one give me some ideas on how to not make the same mistakes again? Thanks.
pmillerfireman is offline Find More Posts by pmillerfireman
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,598 Posts
Hi, pmillerfireman.

The Calypso has a problem with the incidence of the horizontal stabilizer that makes it nose down as built. Most of us have shimmed the trailing edge of the stab up by 1/16"-1/8". The shim can be made of most anything. Wood, metal, or plastic. Whatever you have on hand. The only tricky part is that one needs to make the shim narrow enough to fit in the molded "pocket" that the tail fits. It's also a good idea to have someone else launch for you until you get the trim set up. I can get on the sticks pretty quick but, had I launched it myself the first time, I would have nosed it in about 10 feet in front of me. Once the incidence is set then CG just doesn't seem to be very critical although it does seem like the recommended range is a bit forward of where most experienced pilots like it. You can easily fly with the CG 1/4" behind the main spar.

Good luck!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:29 PM
Guy
Canada, ON, Georgetown
Joined Aug 2012
76 Posts
pmillerfireman I also had similar first flights but got it high enough in the air to get it trimmed. It needed a lot of up trim to get a good glide and that was with the CG on the spar. I can't imagine what it would be like with the CG even more forward. I've done the stab mod and moved the CG to just the back of the spar. Almost no up trim needed and it has a nice glide. I do want to experiment with moving it back further but have not had time plus the weather has not cooperated. Either really cold or really windy! Do the mod and move the CG back, you will be happy.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:23 AM
Joined Jun 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
pmillerfireman I also had similar first flights but got it high enough in the air to get it trimmed. It needed a lot of up trim to get a good glide and that was with the CG on the spar. I can't imagine what it would be like with the CG even more forward. I've done the stab mod and moved the CG to just the back of the spar. Almost no up trim needed and it has a nice glide. I do want to experiment with moving it back further but have not had time plus the weather has not cooperated. Either really cold or really windy! Do the mod and move the CG back, you will be happy.
Hi, can you show some mod pics ? Thank you.
cejas_99 is offline Find More Posts by cejas_99
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:33 AM
Guy
Canada, ON, Georgetown
Joined Aug 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cejas_99 View Post
Hi, can you show some mod pics ? Thank you.
Here is a shot of the right and left side. Still need a bit of uptrim but much better now and at the moment the CG is just at the back of the spar.

Went flying this morning (winds were 10 to 20 kmh or 5 to 12 mph). Wind was light when I started and picked up later. Getting a nice glide but still needs uptrim so for the mod I would shim perhaps another millimeter.
Found a little lift but not much. Still got 50 minutes of flying from 2 1300mah packs. Programmed in some reflex and camber and I mostly got use to flying with camber today. Think I need to add a little more in but I like how it flies with it.

Hope the pics help.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:49 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
The calypso moves quite fast if you program some reflex in the flaps. Installing flaps on this plane really adds some dimension.

This glider was a bit boring when I first flown it. But after tinkering with the ailerons and flap settings made it very interesting to fly now.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:36 AM
Joined Jun 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Here is a shot of the right and left side. Still need a bit of uptrim but much better now and at the moment the CG is just at the back of the spar.

Went flying this morning (winds were 10 to 20 kmh or 5 to 12 mph). Wind was light when I started and picked up later. Getting a nice glide but still needs uptrim so for the mod I would shim perhaps another millimeter.
Found a little lift but not much. Still got 50 minutes of flying from 2 1300mah packs. Programmed in some reflex and camber and I mostly got use to flying with camber today. Think I need to add a little more in but I like how it flies with it.

Hope the pics help.
Thank you very much for the pics, very helpful
cejas_99 is offline Find More Posts by cejas_99